Stud pattern exact dimensions

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
stretched tyres are, technically illegal.

id change the tyres, then look at the spacing needed.

if they wont fit under without stretched tyres, get wheels that DO fit would be my advice

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
stretched tyres are, technically illegal.

id change the tyres, then look at the spacing needed.

if they wont fit under without stretched tyres, get wheels that DO fit would be my advice

More sophistry Pete!!

I think. ;)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
actually, regarding the tyres, i came across an email contact address for a police force, and they redirected me to the regulations regarding tyres and it stated that it fell foul of some regulation (probably construction and use or similar) to have stretched tyres. probably like mis spaced number plates, its rarely fully enforced. although it seems to be a dying trend at the moment, certainly around here.

i will see if i still have the link somewhere

OP
Smaltze

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
Well either way, stretched tires arnt something im worried about considering ill most likely change soon to a set with stretch not worthy of a police officers speculation.

Anyway i have an update regarding my spacer quest.

My pap, of whoms workshop i visit to do all this work decided he wanted some aluminium for himself, so was very thoughtful and ordered plates big enough to make my spacers and he would use the offcuts. all charged back to a contract he is doing :D. yay free spacers!

So ive been going over possible designs etc, i initially figured i would go for the commonly used bolt on-bolt onto spacer design people use, this would however take quite alot of intricate machining. The alloy that has been ordered, i dont trust its strength, nor do i trust the strength of almost any affordable aluminium alloy for a design like that. with that design the spacer would be taking almost the entire load and under the constant cyclical force of the wheel moving well like i said... i dont trust it.

My newer plan was to have instead a perfect hubcentric spacer with straight through bolt holes, and source m12x1.5 threaded rod (strong enough to take the torque of the wheel nuts) that i could screw into the hub, and would hold in place with lock tight. my thinking that like malcolm mentioned earlier, if the spacer/wheel is hubcentric, the only forces on the rod would be holding the wheel towards the hub.
Also even though i think it would be strong enough, i wouldn't have to rely on the hubcentric extensions taking all the weight because the friction between the wheel/spacer/hub when bolted together takes alot of the load in itself, that load isn't put on the bolts atall either.

This plan seems the absolute easiest in terms of fashioning it atall, as there is so much less to machine, all i need to do is source the m12x1.5 threaded rod, and some matching wedge wheelnuts.

:):):):):)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Even with hubcentric mounting there are shear forces at play under braking or acceleration.

OP
Smaltze

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
Even with hubcentric mounting there are shear forces at play under braking or acceleration.

Potentially yes, but they are also reduced/prevented by the friction of the metal face together. So if the only forces im worrying about are breaking/accelerating then im not worried :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom