sudden Air Suspension drop

Digidy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212
Hi

(

I had an issue with air suspension on my S212. Low on driver side over night. Started by replacing the airbags, no joy. Then replaced the return valve (not sure it’s exact name) between compressor and air bags. Still no joy. Finally I replaced air lines (even though they were checked for leaks) and this sorted my problem.

For anyone out there considering replacing air bags I highly advise changing lines at the and time.

But this is where I’m now at. I had all this work done a week or so ago. The car was fine kept up parked for a few days, did some country driving (Irish roads can be a little bumpy!) no issue. That is till this morning, hopped in the car, no warning on screen, suspension up, drove less than a kilometre down the road and noticed the ride was VERY bumpy so I pulled in to find suspension was out completely. Waited for a few minutes it didn’t rise and thought feck it, the compressor is gone fml! Anyway decided to crawl home by which time the suspension had returned to normal height.

Any idea what to look at next? I mean at this rate I’m definitely considering replacing the whole thing but after all the hardship (and outlay!) I’d like to finally figure out the problem.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Have you checked the height sensors don't have broken arms or mounts?

OP
D

Digidy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212
Have you checked the height sensors don't have broken arms or mounts?
I’ll double check over the weekend thanks. They seemed solid to me and I really want to put it down to coincidence but….

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Lube the sensor linkages. They have a habit of corroding, seizing and breaking.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Who manufactured the airbags?

Also pumps can go weak so a pressure test would be a good idea

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom