Sudden bad cold starting

stuartmac

Reaction score
Hi,

2000 W210 E320CDI estate, 160k miles, had a 'B' service a couple of weeks ago.

Had the car something over a couple of years and it's nearly always started from cold after a couple of turns of the starter. However, Saturday and Sunday morning, it took upwards of five minutes to get going. :eek:

Only times in the past the car's been troublesome to start is if it's been left on a steep incline overnight. Saturday morning, it had been on a very slight incline overnight but Sunday morning we'd been at home overnight, where it's parked on the level.

That said, I'm thinking how level or not the car's parked has nothing to do with this problem, and something's not working? :roll: Fwiw, the heater 'coil' light does come on briefly immediately after the ignition's turned on, and both MissusMac and I have had enough diesels to know not to try and start one before the heater light extinguishes.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Without doubt, there is air in the fuel lines. the filter would hve been changed and the chances are it will need new O rings fitted on the pipes

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
yes, quite likely to need new o-rings, a fairly cheap fix if it does.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
I just had a service today, B service, replaced the o rings and the fuel filter. I did have the same problem.

If the heater light comes on after starting it means a bad glow plug. I expect your car has its second set, originals were generally good for about 65k. normal enough but without history hard to advise if you do one or them all. Its not a DIY job, they are prone to breaking when you try to remove them.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom