Suggestions: more power from a 190 cosworth???

190cossie

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to the site and I need some help from all you experts!! I have a 190 2.5 16v cosworth...its body has seen better days so I've decided to turn it into a track/drift car. What's the best and cheapest way to squeeze the most power from the engine without too much expense?? Can I get a bolt on turbo or supercharger?? Also how much work would this entail, what all would I need, and how much would it cost??

Any info on this and where I can source any bits would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :D

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
either would require a total engine rebuild to lower the compression ratio to enable the engine to withstand the boost! i know a guy who had a turbo technics conversion on a sierra. compression wasnt lowered, wasnt running much boost but still blew up! boost was so low it was barely worth the expense! it cost £2k or so about 12 years ago!

type49

Reaction score
As Turbopete says............ These engines run high compression. A blown engine has low compression. Unless you are prepared to replace pistons etc to lower the compression, I wouldnt bother with a turbo or supercharger. The first thing to do with a cosworth engine is make sure it is running 100% correctly, as most of them are neglected & not looked after by someone who knows them. Dealers are not usually the best places as these cars are 20 years old now, most of the techs who were trained on them have long since left!! Very common to have air leaks around the injector seals. Easy & cheap fix, so worth replacing anyway. There are also 2 trimming plugs that can alter ignition timing + fuelling but you can get this very wrong & cause other problems. Find an expert via the net & take it to them for a once-over.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Stick a 3.9 range rover V8 in there, if you look around theres a few engines about, TVR use the same motor in better tune.
I quite fancy putting an old Porsche 928 lump in a 190 with the box, steering rack needs to be removed and replaced with something else.
Personally think the cossy engine would be a screamer anyway at 7000rpm. For the cost involved in SC or TC I wouldnt think an old cossy engine would take it for more than a few miles before it goes BANG.

jib

OP

190cossie

Reaction score
hey all

yeah I kinda thought myself the pistons may need to be changed to run at a lower compression which would be an infeasible expense in itself let alone t/c or s/c after that.

ah well....n/a it's going to have to stay then :cry:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom