sunroof lubrication - what to use?

B

br1anstorm

I have a 1990 W126 coupe with electric tilt-and-slide sunroof, but I think this question applies to all MB sunroofs. To avoid expensive problems when the roof jams, lubrication is vital. But what lubricant should be used?

Browsing the forums (esp the US ones) reveals a lot of dire warnings that only the original MB lubricant (gleiptpaste?) MUST be used. Problem is, the real stuff is only available in, or from, dealers, in big tubs (why?) and at huge expense.

So what are the possible options? Most advise strongly against the cure-alls like WD40, and also 'normal' lubing oils or grease, which either hardens with age, or attracts dust and dirt. I have seen recommendations for PTFE (spray?) and silicon lubricant - but I'm not sure if those 3-in-1 cans from Halfords are good enough, or if they're just normal spray-oil with a little of this stuff added. I have also seen mention of cycle chain lubricant containing Teflon (PTFE by another name?)

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions? I'd hate to use something only to find that it gums up the slides...

(Psst - if anyone has a tub of the real stuff, can I do a deal for a thimbleful?!)

br1anstorm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would use PTFE,,it is harmless and never dries,,it has amazing lubricating / sliding qualities

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
I would take along an empty small jar and ask nicely the next time you're buying parts from MB.

There was a chap selling some on Ebay - he had bought the large tub, and was selling off smaller jars with a printout of the work instruction sheets to recoup the cost. I don't know if he's sold it all or not.

Having seen the stuff, it is true to say it's unlike any other grease I've seen.

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2cv6.
Yes i bought some off that guy, just a tiny tub. It does the trick. I havent seen any on there since, but somebody on the US forum might sell you some if you ask nicely. If you dont have any joy at the dealer that is.

Top Bottom