Supercharger problems..Please help..thank you

imaston

Reaction score
All,

My supercharger (C230 Kompressor sport 1997 auto) is playing up..sometimes it's working and sometimes it's not.....

Could you please advise what the problem may be

The fault code is :-

117 Supercharger circulating-air flap Break/make

Many Thanks everyone

Kind Regards

Ian

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
i cannot cross reference that code, assuming the "make/break" part means intermittent open circuit then be aware that these flaps are apparently known to fail. having said that i have never changed one! is that the ONLY code that comes up? i know you have had other problems...

OP
I

imaston

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply and apologies for my late reply.

The full list of the fault codes are :-

015 Oxygen sensor 1 (In front of CAT) signal too low

117 Supercharger circulating-air flap Break/make

062 CAN signal from combined instrument
Error not present

I look forward to you reply.

Many Thanks

Regards

Ian

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a little more info ian. EXACTLY what are the symptoms? eg - is the engine management light on? when/how often do you have a problem? does hot/cold engine have any bearing? how long after driving does the fault occur?

also remind us here about all the other threads regarding your car, and what questions you have had answered regarding your performance problems. also what diagnostic work (other than reading fault codes) has already been done?

geezer255

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 311cdi - Shogun Sport
Sorry to jump on this one, I got a CLK230K - 51 having similar probs, its only happend twice over 3 weeks but slightly annoying, the prob starts from when the key is turned and carries on till the end of the journey, its fine on the way back and was parked for about 20 mins, no faults logged!!.........

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I got a CLK230K - 51 having similar probs

similar to what?

all we know about ian's is that his supercharger is playing up - sometimes. perhaps you/he means sometimes the clutch does not engage? but i am guessing, more specifics please chaps and we will be happy to help.

geezer255

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it was the clutch surely it would work on and off in any journey, the 2nd time mine did it it was specific to that journey i.e. everytime i put my foot down the supercharger does nothing until i turned the ignition off, went off and did what i needed to do for 20 mins then got back and drove off and was surprised it was working again..... that about as specific as I can get, If i get a chance in the next couple of days i will try and pop over and you can have a look.....

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
geezer, when you say the supercharger was not working, i take it you mean the car was well down on power? this sounds like limp home mode, and can be caused by many things. if it is you will notice it continues untill you turn off/on again (without 20 min wait), try this next time it happens. the good news is that fault codes will be stored, the bad news is that it is intermittent. if you want to ring me for a chat about it i think you have my number, speak to you soon?

OP
I

imaston

Reaction score
Alexander/geezer,
When you say clutch do you mean the supercharger clutch ?
This I think is the problem, I have a feeling the pulley wheel on the end of the supercharger may be sticking ? Could it be the belt is worn ?
When the supercharger is not working it still has enough power but without the supercharger (I guess then runs as a non supercharged c230), I guess limp home mode is very slow ?
When I have had the problems before as soon as I stop turn off the car and back on again the supercharger comes back, just like what geezer said.
The supercharger seems to be worse when I use kickdown and as there is enough power without the kickdown I am trying to refrain from doing it.
I look forward to your replies :)
Regards
Ian

geezer255

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yup exactly as you described, def not limp home mode but just no boost when you expect it, mines manual so dont get any kickdown option but changing down is the same.....

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
Other than all the usual suggestions that are often the cause, it my cars case it was a dodgy 'camshaft hall effect sensor' that was causing the supercharger clutch to cut in and out randomly on my CLK230K (1999). When hooked up to STAR could see the camshaft sensor fault code was registering each time the supercharger clutch disengaged and the count would match the number of times the clutch dropped out. No other faults were registering, so I changed the sensor and the fault went. It's not an expensive item and is located front top left of the engine just under the camshaft cover.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom