1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tailgate won't close

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by michael sumner, Jul 12, 2019 at 4:07 PM.

1. michael sumner

michael sumner New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E Class Estate S211 200 Kompressor 2003
    Just tried to close my tailgate. Can hear the motorised closing device working but doesn't engage. On inspection have found the long chrome profile at the forward edge of the boot area raised a little. Looking closer it seems not to be engaged in its clips (at the front) and refuses to do so. Removed the half dozen or so screws holding it in place at the back and now clips in ok but back fixing holes no longer align, so when screws are reinserted front pops out again. Was all ok until I had the rear bumper resprayed a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if the body shop removed that piece in order to remove the bumper (though I cannot see why). I've managed to slam the tailgate closed but still could do with a solution...

2. rifiki

rifiki Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk W209 Ponton 190
    What’s wrong with the old system, just close it by hand and it’s reliable.

3. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    I’d go back to the body shop who did the painting and get them to take a look at why it’s not closing

4. OP
    michael sumner

michael sumner New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E Class Estate S211 200 Kompressor 2003
    Removed the chrome profile and still no good, i.e. lock not engaging electrically. Sounds like the gears are slipping inside. Probably not repairable so will either have to use manual closing or buy new part.