Tap water too hard - what alternative?

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Hey guys,

So where I live the tap water is very very hard. It is really annoying when the limescale collects on any surface that has water dry on it.

With that in mind there is no hope I am putting it in my car for the window washers.

Have any of you guys had an alternative? Can I put some some "water softener salt" into the jug before adding to the car (I know that's what some households do at source). I guess it shouldn't be a problem as I don't plan on drinking from the car lol.

On a side now, what does this mean if I want to wash the car? Shall I be drying the car down and not letting it drip dry?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Get a water filter from Raceglaze , sponsors on here. £100 ish iirc- I have one and it works, if I’m in a hurry I can rinse off the car and leave to dry with minimal spots- that said I do normally microfibre towel dry anyway

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You can buy ready mixed screen wash and put the car through a car wash.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Why not use once boiled water to fill your washer bottle? Use a kettle with a filter, or fill from a filtered jug, boil it, then filter through a tea strainer into a container for the screen wash bottle.

Get some de-ionised water, like for topping up batteries. For the washer bottle.

Use pre-diluted screen wash.

In terms of washing the car, can you set up a water butt to collect rainwater. I only use water butt water to rinse the cars using a low pressure power washer. The solar panels generate the electrickery, so a 'green' solution.

BTW did you know the water from your tap in Londinium has been peed through 7 people before it reaches you ;)

There is probably a TED talk, u-tube or some other online resource that fills the educational gap of the entitled/snowflake generation. :p:p

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
What John said - I'm also about to invest in one. They do the taller more expensive (~£200) unit which gives you more bang for your buck in terms of resin usage and ergo, cheaper in the long run.

The challenge is getting the tap water off the car before it dries while you are doing other parts of the car.

I recently purchased a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids ......."hardness tester"). Our supplier (Yorkshire Water) reports our hardness as being about 110ppm but that is apparently only the (IIRC) dissolved calciums. The TDS meter gives a reading of about 350ppm for our tap water, 2ppm for condenser water from the tumble drier and about the same from our rain water butt

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Hey guys,

So where I live the tap water is very very hard. It is really annoying when the limescale collects on any surface that has water dry on it.

With that in mind there is no hope I am putting it in my car for the window washers.

Have any of you guys had an alternative? Can I put some some "water softener salt" into the jug before adding to the car (I know that's what some households do at source). I guess it shouldn't be a problem as I don't plan on drinking from the car lol.

On a side now, what does this mean if I want to wash the car? Shall I be drying the car down and not letting it drip dry?

If you let it drip dry or drive it to get it dry, you will end up with watermarks ---- and on even a slightly warm day water will be evaporating before you start drying. I try to keep wetting the car while I am soaping it down and re-rinsing clean areas (before the soap dries) and feel as if I am always chasing my tail.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys

Some good advice here. Funnily enough I had seen the raceglaze units after a search. I was wondering if they work.

I had figured the screenwash solution would be a good bet alright and probably easiest.

The screen wash was the more urgent question, mainly because I'm not sure how practical it will be to even wash the car at home where I currently live.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Buy a condensing tumble dryer.

Had one of those for many years, wife collects the water and uses it in her steam iron. Prior to that I'd have to clean the iron monthly and replace it after about 3 years, since using the condensed water I clean her iron once a year and have not had to buy her a replacement for about 8 years!

Having said that, here in East Kent some of our water is from the chalk so is fairly hard. I've used it in the screenwash of both cars for years without problem - mainly use Lidl screenwash cut 1:1 for -20C temperature protection.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I lol'd a little at the buying a condenser...but gathering that water is a fantastic idea.

I generally use my drier on only rare occasions - how green of me..... I guess I need to balance that off by driving what some people might call a gas guzzler. :D

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
We also use our dryer only occasionally, but wife always uses it for towels as she swears it keeps them softer and fluffier - plus she gets water for her iron that way!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
For screenwash just use filtered water, get a Brita jug

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We also use our dryer only occasionally, but wife always uses it for towels as she swears it keeps them softer and fluffier - plus she gets water for her iron that way!

I agree about the towels but I'm meh, rather pinch pennies on that. I just clog up my tiny living room with the clothes horse instead lol.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Does the brita jug remove the hardness?

It removes the minerals that make the water hard, will also save you a fortune buying bottled water

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Each time you boil a kettle for a cuppa, pour the remaining water into a screen wash fluid container, starting with the requisite level of screen wash for your needs. Once full top up the car.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Condensing dryer is the best, I even used the water from it to change the water in the SL's radiators. Stock it in large containers for future use. ;)
Just make sure the Missus isn't going to do the ironing after you drain the water bottle :rolleyes:

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Another for a condensing tumble dryer. It makes so much soft water that I always have a surplus. Use it in the washer bottle mixed with screenwash. Don't need it for the steam iron, as our water in Wales is relatively soft.

On Gozo, all the water is desalinated sea water, and horrible stuff (also very expensive! If you have a lawn, you're a rich man, because the lawns need constant irrigation). No tumble dyers here - just a flat roof with a line, but the water from the airconditioners works a treat.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom