Telling me I have a bulb malfunction but I don't think I have

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Hiya,

Whenever I turn on the Lights on my W208 CLK (Xenon option) the dash shows a faulty bulb, It happens whether I put side or main lights on.

I have walked around and all the lights appear to be working fine.

I knew someone with the same problem with another merc and it was the switch itself, however I wondered if it's safe to assume that or whether I need to get it checked out by a merc dealer or good indi?

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Perhaps the rear fog light on drivers side, it only comes on when switched on separately from the rest of the lights, just a suggestion, don’t know your car but on mine there are 2 extra light to the rear, in other words double break lights or double rear lights, not sure which. Other than I haven’t a clue.

Dec

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Make sure bulbs are making a good clean contact even though they are working this is normally the problem.Hope this helps

MB TECH WARRINGTON

Reaction score
there are 2 bulbs per side on the rear on 208 models, both bulbs are sidelight operated, check that all 4 are working:rolleyes:

jimsinessex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W209 CLK 320CDI Coupe
Hiya,

Whenever I turn on the Lights on my W208 CLK (Xenon option) the dash shows a faulty bulb, It happens whether I put side or main lights on.

I have walked around and all the lights appear to be working fine.

I knew someone with the same problem with another merc and it was the switch itself, however I wondered if it's safe to assume that or whether I need to get it checked out by a merc dealer or good indi?

Switch ingnition on (do NOT touch brake pedal), switch sidelights on ONLY. If bulb failure warning comes up it is definitely a side light or rear number plate bulb and none of the others.
Have you replaced any bulbs recently as non-MB sourced bulbs sometimes trigger the failure warning. In particular check the wattage of the rear combined brake/sidelight bulbs as it should be 21/4W and not the more usual 21/5W bulb. This caught me out once!

Jim

LYNALL

Reaction score
Only stuck 5 watt in wifes 203 with no problems, when they initially failed the car said it was using the rear fog as a temporary rear light.

Lynall

jimsinessex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W209 CLK 320CDI Coupe
Only stuck 5 watt in wifes 203 with no problems, when they initially failed the car said it was using the rear fog as a temporary rear light.
Lynall

On the W208 it is only the dual filament brake/sidelight that is 4W, the other single filament real sidelight is 5W. That's where the confusion arises.

Jim

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The system monitors current usage. So, as above, it's either wrong wattage bulbs, or dirty contacts causing excessive resistance. Do note MB bulbs use an offset pin design - as against opposite pins on a 'normal' bulb.
Assuming the bulbs are correct then its the contacts - almost always is, so work around the bulb holders, including the number plate light and clean them up.

jeremytaylor

Reaction score
I used to get these blown bulb messages regularly in my C270CDI Estate. It was invariably dirty contacts that was the problem.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom