Ten year battery change?

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
The label on the battery lid: A169 680 0439 is the part number for the lid. /8K83 is your colour code,Sahara beige.

Sidewall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK 200K
(And, last pic, the underside of the battery carpet lid. Anyone any idea of what it all means? Delivery was June 30 2009. Thanks.)
Appears to be the part number and info for the cover, nothing to do with the battery spec.

The following is not trying to "Teach my elders and betters", but to be of interest perhaps for those who have other areas of interest than my own.

"AGM" = Advanced Glass Mat
This battery is required by vehicles fitted with "Start/Stop" technology, especially if also fitted with brake energy regeneration.
They are capable of hundreds of thousands engine starts in their life rather than the tens of thou. for a standard battery. They are also capable of deep cycling discharge which a standard "Flooded" battery is not.

You are now starting to see "EFB", half way between the two types, for some very small engined cars with low numbers of voltage consumers, that have Start/Stop but don't warrent the cost of a full AGM

Short version,
AGM where it's not a requirement, no harm done but you won't get full benefit.
Standard battery where it should have been an AGM, see you again next month! (The record so far is 3 weeks, battery totally destroyed).

Ratulina

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Estate 2009 Diesel
I changed my E class battery at 15 years. It was still starting the car just fine but I chickened out and used the battery that came out of my r129 (I tested it with my battery tester and it was deemed good).
I still have the original battery in my E Class Estate, May 10th 2009! So only 14 years! Today they re-gassed the air conditioner, only just stopped working & I didn’t know it worked on gas until my husband was discussing checking the gas in the combine before harvest! Such a surprise, no wonder it stopped working after 14 years…the garage was most amused…and surprised!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Just been through the same decision with my CLK and its 10 year old battery , it was showing 12.1v at start up and seemed to be taking an extra turn to start up .
Decided that as MB's hate low voltage , and modern batteries sometimes just fail without warning . I decided to get a new one from MB Grangemouth (with forum discount and delivery £110) Paid £130 for my E class battery from Grangemouth last year .
In my experience same make type as replacement never lasts same as origional???????? But 10£ a Yr for 10yr ain't bad battery cost and in France u will get 6 euro for Yr old one!!

Top Bottom