Tesco petrol at fault again???????????

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
We put some Tesco unleaded in the Micra the other week and 2 days later it started spluttering and being very hesitant to accelerate between 2000-2500 revs. We let the tank get down to 1/2 full and filled it up with unleaded from a proper garage. That day the engine management light illuminated.

We took it to the Nissan dealer on Saturday for repair/diagnosis, which ever was cheaper and had it returned this evening. It was the O2 sensor and was replaced FOC as it's under warranty.

Wasn't it the O2 sensor that Tesco unleaded was ruining when they had the problem with their additives before?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Its unheard of as yet,, any sign of it and it would have hit the press and news media

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Haven't you learned your lesson when it comes to cheap supermarket fuel? Wasn't it ASDA last time? :)

If you suspect the fuel, get in touch with them to register your complaint. I found Tesco pretty good when I had a ruined wheel due to a pothole in their car park. They paid out very quickly indeed.

PS: Good to have you back. :)

OP
100%Bitch

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Haven't you learned your lesson when it comes to cheap supermarket fuel? Wasn't it ASDA last time? :)

If you suspect the fuel, get in touch with them to register your complaint. I found Tesco pretty good when I had a ruined wheel due to a pothole in their car park. They paid out very quickly indeed.

PS: Good to have you back. :)

Thanks Roady.

I did learn my lesson, supermarket fuel NEVER goes near my baby.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
We put som Tesco unleaded in the Micra the other week and 2 days later it started spluttering and being very hesitant to accelerate between 2000-2500 revs. We let the tank get down to 1/2 full and filled it up with unleaded from a proper garage. That day the engine management light illuminated.

We took it to the Nissan dealer on Saturday for repair/diagnosis, which ever was cheaper and had it returned this evening. It was the O2 sensor and was replaced FOC as it's under warranty.

Wasn't it the O2 sensor that Tesco unleaded was ruining when they had the problem with their additives before?

At the expense of attracting massive criticism - I use Tesco unleaded in the SL - works fine. Tried the higher octane version for a few tanks, made no difference.

I think you have probably had a coincidence here Helen, rather than cause and effect. When things happen simultaneously like that, it is tempting to attribute blame and if you prove to be the first of an epidemic of these, I will obviously need to reconsider this post, but I think it unlikely that the fuel was to blame.

Someone in a thread earlier today felt that 3 months worth of Shell diesel had damaged his car. Given the massive volumes of fuel on sale daily, when abnormalities do occur, they happen in big numbers and can not be ignored. After all, all the petrol comes from the same source. The supermarkets probably sell it "neat". The oil majors tend to dose the tanker during filling in an attempt to make their product distinctive and better.

So from a given source (Coryton in your case), all petrol is probably the same and any fault resulting in its use would be the talk of East Anglia by now.

I am delighted to hear that the warranty worked so seamlessly.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nothing wrong with Tesco fuel or anyone elses,,supermarket or other.

I have used it for 10 years, and so do millions of others, Most of it all comes down the same pipe line but goes out in different tankers.

Tesco fuel stations are not Tesco run or owned, just the site and name

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
Most, if not all, Supermarket fuel does not contain additives as they would have to pay extra from the suppliers. If you want to be certain that you buy fuel with additives only buy from a site that is showing the oil company logo.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
We put some Tesco unleaded in the Micra the other week and 2 days later it started spluttering and being very hesitant to accelerate between 2000-2500 revs. We let the tank get down to 1/2 full and filled it up with unleaded from a proper garage. That day the engine management light illuminated.

Welcome back, Helen :-D

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
I run my C230K on supermarket fuel and every few months or so my fuel gauge will start to operate erratically, a tank of branded fuel and the gauge rights itself by the time the tank is due to be filled again.
Though before this I always as others believed there was no difference in branded and supermarket fuel, but since this, i now have my doubts.
The first time it happened I put it down to coincidence but since then it has happened 4 maybe 5 times and always with the same results.
FYI was Morrisons Petrol.
Good too see you back Helen.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tesco are the 10th largest fuel retailer, if there was anything wrong with it it would be headlines.

This is one of the most discussed things on the Web

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Supermarket fuel is usually at the bottom end of the spec for that type of fuel and contains less if any additives than branded fuel .

Branded fuel contains additives to improve combustion ,UCL , foaming and waxing in the case of diesel also to improve CO2 emmissions .

You pays your money and takes your choice .

The problem with the fuel the last time was silicon intended for diesel fuel and was added to petrol by mistake thus causing silica deposits on plugs and lambda sensors rendering them useless.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Supermarket fuel is usually at the bottom end of the spec for that type of fuel and contains less if any additives than branded fuel .

Branded fuel contains additives to improve combustion ,UCL , foaming and waxing in the case of diesel also to improve CO2 emmissions .

You pays your money and takes your choice .

The problem with the fuel the last time was silicon intended for diesel fuel and was added to petrol by mistake thus causing silica deposits on plugs and lambda sensors rendering them useless.

There are just as many links out there that say that its all the same.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
There are just as many links out there that say that its all the same.

That's true, and depending on logistics, they can use the same depots to fill the tankers. Shell, BP, Esso & supermarket fuels all from the same depot & tank. Although additives can be added to the tanker contents later, you cannot make contaminated fuel good, so it must be OK to start with.

Russ

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's true, and depending on logistics, they can use the same depots to fill the tankers. Shell, BP, Esso & supermarket fuels all from the same depot & tank. Although additives can be added to the tanker contents later, you cannot make contaminated fuel good, so it must be OK to start with.

Russ

No problem with that , but this has only happened once in the 57 odd years that I have been driving. So if no additives, How did they manage to put the wrong one in.

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
No problem with that , but this has only happened once in the 57 odd years that I have been driving. So if no additives, How did they manage to put the wrong one in.

I think the problem originated down here in the south east and the problem was traced to the storage depot at Purfleet which was/is an ESSO facility ,the refining is done at Coryton and shipped from there (there is pipelines (UKOP) from here (CORYTON) going all over the country) , additives and blending is done on site before retail distribution .Supermarkets tend to buy fuel on the lower end of the spec (tolerance) as it sells at a lower price on the open market .A lot of the finished products from our refineries go to Rotterdam for the EUROPEAN spot markets and is then shipped back to here to the storage depots Purfleet being one of them .

The differences in using any of these fuels in your car is miniscule but some may have long term advantages/disadvantages and as I said you "pays your money" and takes your choice .

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I think the problem originated down here in the south east and the problem was traced to the storage depot at Purfleet which was/is an ESSO facility ,the refining is done at Coryton and shipped from there (there is pipelines (UKOP) from here (CORYTON) going all over the country) , additives and blending is done on site before retail distribution .Supermarkets tend to buy fuel on the lower end of the spec (tolerance) as it sells at a lower price on the open market .A lot of the finished products from our refineries go to Rotterdam for the EUROPEAN spot markets and is then shipped back to here to the storage depots Purfleet being one of them .

The differences in using any of these fuels in your car is miniscule but some may have long term advantages/disadvantages and as I said you "pays your money" and takes your choice .
I used to be involved in the shipping it about. I've also used Shell exclusively in my current E320CDI and "almost" exclusively in my last E320CDI and have never had an issue with it. (I used to work for BP though...)

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_oil_pipeline_network

This may just run underneath your house ?

As you drive around the country have you ever seen a little stile with a fluorescent orange marker on a post in the hedgerows . Its the marker for the pipelines and makes it easy to spot from the air as it is patroled by helicopters on a regular basis .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

As you drive around the country have you ever seen a little stile with a fluorescent orange marker on a post in the hedgerows . Its the marker for the pipelines and makes it easy to spot from the air as it is patroled by helicopters on a regular basis .

Thanks for that info, how far down do I have to go to find the pipe :D:D

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

The gas pipeline from Millford Haven is something else again. I think that would take some putting out if it accidentally caught fire. On an aside one of the bulk natural gas carriers would make one hell of a terrorist bomb should it be attacked by pirates on its way from Quatar to Milford. They could sail it up the Thames...

Top Bottom