That sickening thud sound

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Lust leaving Lyme Regis this morning to go out for lunch, the 40 zone had just ended but I kept at 40mph. ½ mile further on a I confronted with a lady jogger running towards me, 5 motor cycles coming towards me in the center of their lane,,, so I thought ok just ease off on the throttle and all will be fine.

Just passing the lady and I hear this dull thud sound, and in my nearside mirror there is the lady lying in the ditch. Strange I though the nearside mirror is fine so I stopped and got out, and there was this Fiesta that had been behind me smashed into a tree. I knew that there was a white Fiesta behind me but concentrating on the lady jogging I was not looking in the rear mirror. It was the Fiesta that knocked her over, the girl driving said that her brakes were poor and she did not want to hit me up the rear.
The jogger was not hurt, just a bit shaken and muddy. I gave her my phone number and we went on our way.
The Police were not called and they did not want to know about the Fiesta with poor brakes. The accident had not been reported.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Hope the lady is ok but that is a reportable accident if it involves a person. I suggest you might want to call the police yourself Malcolm. It's illegal to hit someone and not report it.. You could be aiding and abetting a crime and we don't want you locked up mate!

I would call the old bill and let them know...

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hope the lady is ok but that is a reportable accident if it involves a person. I suggest you might want to call the police yourself Malcolm. It's illegal to hit someone and not report it.. You could be aiding and abetting a crime and we don't want you locked up mate!

I would call the old bill and let them know...

We are smack of the Dorset/Devon border and I rang both stations but nothing reported

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Lust leaving Lyme Regis this morning to go out for lunch, the 40 zone had just ended but I kept at 40mph. ½ mile further on a I confronted with a lady jogger running towards me, 5 motor cycles coming towards me in the center of their lane,,, so I thought ok just ease off on the throttle and all will be fine.

Just passing the lady and I hear this dull thud sound, and in my nearside mirror there is the lady lying in the ditch. Strange I though the nearside mirror is fine so I stopped and got out, and there was this Fiesta that had been behind me smashed into a tree. I knew that there was a white Fiesta behind me but concentrating on the lady jogging I was not looking in the rear mirror. It was the Fiesta that knocked her over, the girl driving said that her brakes were poor and she did not want to hit me up the rear.
The jogger was not hurt, just a bit shaken and muddy. I gave her my phone number and we went on our way.
The Police were not called and they did not want to know about the Fiesta with poor brakes. The accident had not been reported.

Last night -well early this morning - around 1am coming out of town revellers ran into the road waving screaming ---a cyclist with no lights coming towards us on the wrong side of the road shouting "Happy New Year"then back in our little village same again --had to brake hard several times--youths running around the car -presumably drunk shouting and cheering----great start to the New Year ?---no police anywhere to be seen --just glad to get home without hitting or running over someone--which of course I would have got the blame for having drunk only cups of tea all night.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Glad no one was seriously injured Malcolm. The way i see it is that driving standards are likely to suffer due to the fact that I see very few police traffic cars on patrol due to cutbacks and like hospitals the police are under so much pressure to reduce crime stats that they are very unlikely to investigate and issue a crime no, unless forced.

Crime in Leicestershire has fallen 10% apparently in the last year during which time my son and youngest daughter have both been burgled. Read into this what you will:(

Last edited:

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Yes, don't live in Leicestershire.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
But I guess everywhere else is the same.

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
glad all as ok as it could be for you Malcolm....all very lucky by the sounds of it:shock:

jonthetourist

Reaction score
Website
www.cypruspropertyvillas.com
Your Mercedes
1991 SL300-24
Glad no one was seriously injured Malcolm. The way i see it is that driving standards are likely to suffer due to the fact that I see very few police traffic cars on patrol due to cutbacks and like hospitals the police are under so much pressure to reduce crime stats that they are very unlikely to investigate and issue a crime no, unless forced.

My feeling is the only thing not being cut back is paperwork by the police. But I would like to add some more. I would like to see every force publish an hours of uniformed staff time spent in public per month. There are always briefings, paperwork, court appearances, sickness, leave etc, but this is surely the number that counts.

Incidentally, some bus companies have cctv which downloads automatically every time the bus returns to depot. Why not give the police a lapel-cam on the same basis? Then you get an automatic report of how many hours they are out of the station. And they don't have to sit and write up notebooks - hello, it's the 21st century!

Sorry Malcolm - way off-topic here.

Jon

Ben Longden

Reaction score
Website
www.benlongden.com
Your Mercedes
W203 220CDI. Silver with grey and black trim. 1992 W140 400SEL Silver. 1999 CLK430 (missus)
The plods would not have it... Imagine being asked to justify 10 mins out on the job, and 7hrs 50 mins stuffing their faces with donuts.....

Union would go crazy!!!

Apols for going with the off topic comments...

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
It suits the police federation to live in the last century.
It suits the legal profession to live in the one before.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom