That time again, groan.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
I tend to check around a month before policy ends to see what i can get, then contact insurance about the time i get renew info....then haggle til i get good price...works everytime ...job done
Yep this is what I do too, and as you say most of the time it works.
I always pay for my insurance annually in a lump sum but tell them not to keep my card on file, that way there is no possibility of them auto renewing in any case. ;)
To be fair they usually usually ask if it is ok to keep my card on file anyway.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Yep this is what I do too, and as you say most of the time it works.
I always pay for my insurance annually in a lump sum but tell them not to keep my card on file, that way there is no possibility of them auto renewing in any case. ;)
To be fair they usually usually ask if it is ok to keep my card on file anyway.
I used to pay monthly but as my insurance was £200 this year i just paid in one hit

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
Have this every year with two cars, a motorbike and then house insurances (I have some expensive watches on contents insurance).

As its been explained to me when I fail to renew but have to ring them to say not to auto renew and then fun and games with "we'll price match it". Firstly I want you to beat it and secondly why didn't I get your 'best quote' in the renewal letter????

Came to a head when my house insurance went up about 40% for bricks and mortar cover. Not a lot in pound notes but 40%!!!!. Rang them to say won't be going with that and they offer to match it. By then its too late, I've already got my new cover (usually cheaper) set up to go. They inform me that renewal letters are a generic based on your postcode but if you ring it will be specific to you and your 'performance'. I think that is all BS as my house hasn't moved, the area isn't better/worse for the ten houses or whatever the postcode covers, and I'm sure I'd have seen the crime wave if it affected my postcode with half a dozen neighbours on the same postcode...... They also have my records that another year gone and no claim, etc.

Same with car insurance. Was told that the renewal letter comes out a month before your insurance is due to lapse. You go on 'we compare the meercats' or whatever and see a lower price and think I'll do that closer to the date. By the time you come to do it a week before it lapses you're now seen as a 'last minute type person' and therefore a higher risk and prices creep up as you get closer to renewal date.

I was told the 'sweet spot' on car insurance is three weeks before renewal date. I always do it at some point between getting renewal letter and three weeks and does always seem to get me a price comparable, and usually better, than previous years

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom