The car won't start when warm

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
The click could be the starter relay. This is why I asked him to identify where the click is coming from.
Agreed about the fuse.

bad spot on commutator ? if you test wiring to starter and cant find ussue try a substitute earth to the starter , ie jump lead ,batt earth to starter body/bolt, not any wired fitting. or as close as you can get. if that dont prove anything think you may have to substitute the starter motor. that click , its just a relay type sound, ? not the sound of bendix whacking the ring gear? most motors stop at the same point on flywheel and can over time cause issues .. obvious question , battery in good nic ? put lights on try to start .lights go dim .if not batt prob ok

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Apply a 12v live to the small terminal on the starter solenoid. The solenoid should click in and the starter should turn the engine. If it doesn't the starter is u/s. If it does then there is a problem with the wiring, possibly being affected by heat.

Don't think so.

The solenoid would click in if it was working properly (as long as the main earth strap from engine to chassis was sound), but there is no way the starter itself would then turn the motor.
For this to happen, a second person would also need to fully turn the key to the starting position at the same time, to energise the main starting relay.

OP
M

Maz33

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220 cdi
Hi Thanks for your ideas, the following tasks have been carried out without solving the problem
01 - Glow plugs (all four)
02 - Glow plug relay
03 - Injector washers (all four)
04 - Battery replaced with heavy duty
The 12v was applied to starter motor (not solenoid), it just made clicked noise (like relay clicking don't know where from) without cranking.
I again will appreciate for your opinions and ideas, as what ever problem is the car won't start when it is cold (normal condition) thank you all.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Why not also run a temporary earth from the engine block to the battery negative (or car chassis)?
By applying 12v direct to the starter, as you have done, you have only 'renewed' one half of the circuit - the other 'half', the earth return, may still be suspect.
i know that's a remote possibility, but it is worth checking thoroughly.

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
Don't think so.

The solenoid would click in if it was working properly (as long as the main earth strap from engine to chassis was sound), but there is no way the starter itself would then turn the motor.
For this to happen, a second person would also need to fully turn the key to the starting position at the same time, to energise the main starting relay.
Trust me, it would. I've done it literally hundreds of times.The relay is what supplies the 12v feed to the solenoid and is energised by turning the key. By using a separate feed you are by passing the rest of the start system.

OP
M

Maz33

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220 cdi
Have tried earthing the engine without any effect, but not tried applying 12v and earthing at the same, will post the result .
Thank you very much for your help and ideas.

OP
M

Maz33

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220 cdi
Hi everyone,
Can anyone tell me how to find OEM (part) number of starter motor from VIN number?
The vehicle is
My Engine Cod is: OM 646.966 which is a CLK 220 cdi coupe c209 2006 110 KW and 150 HP with automatic gearbox.
Your help will be greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance.

OP
M

Maz33

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220 cdi
Hi everyone
The car, it seems is functioning properly.
I wish a Merry Christmas to those people who were kind enough to post their ideas and Prosperous New Year.

Last edited:

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Great news. :):)Was it a dodgy starter motor?

Alanlynwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls250 CDI 2014
Hi,

My 2014 CLS250 CDI started to have issues starting when warm so after searching I went with the most common fault and replaced the CPS. Car started after this but the next day the car won't start at all. (Cranks but no start). So I was going to move on and try replacing the fuel pump relay but when I looked at the fuses in the boot, there was NO RELAY in the position for the fuel pump relay ? Am I missing something or can someone tell me if they have a fuel pump relay in their diesel CLS ? Thanks in advance

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
As you may be aware, there are quite a few parameters for a diesel engine to fire up. Is your car low on diesel at the moment ??
Are there any air bubbles in the diesel ?? Do you have any clear fuel hoses on your engine ? If you do, then watch the diesel flow in those pipes while somebody turns the engine over.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom