The Era of ‘the Car You Own Forever’ Is Coming to an End

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
You know most of those updates are actually security updates for patching vulnerabilities right?
Are you going into FUD mode again :p
FUD? Haha, no not this time.

But as someone with a lot of professional experience in the FTSE100 space of securing software and IT architecture, including pen testing/sever hardening I feel qualified to make the choice to suit my needs best. My device is not really at risk because of the way it is used, therefore it needs no updates for security purposes. Therefore the battery life is superb and my phone usually lasts 7-10 days between charges, and has been like this from the day it arrived in 2013 to the day it was binned in 2022, and now I am using a replacement just the same.

I suspect that the battery life on the new iphone is not as good as the old one, but it is early days.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
FUD? Haha, no not this time.

But as someone with a lot of professional experience in the FTSE100 space of securing software and IT architecture, including pen testing/sever hardening I feel qualified to make the choice to suit my needs best. My device is not really at risk because of the way it is used, therefore it needs no updates for security purposes. Therefore the battery life is superb and my phone usually lasts 7-10 days between charges, and has been like this from the day it arrived in 2013 to the day it was binned in 2022, and now I am using a replacement just the same.

I suspect that the battery life on the new iphone is not as good as the old one, but it is early days.
That was the key but if information you left out originally, your not actually using your phone, that is certainly the most secure way of utilising technology for sure ;)
Also being someone who does cyber security for a living for a global organisation, I feel I’m pretty qualified too

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
That was the key but if information you left out originally, your not actually using your phone,

Full disclosure was not needed :)

To be pedantically correct: I am using the phone or at least I think that is what I am doing when I click icons and do stuff. What I do not make full use of is the app-eco system or public wifi for comms because I have no need for it and do not think the combination of apps and public wifi is a great approach to personal info-sec.

Why no apps? As a real life grown-up I do not feel the need to be permanently connected to whatsapp, instagram, tiktok or facebook - in fact I frequently leave the house and intentionally leave the phone behind when going out to do sport. I recommend it for everyone, ditch the phones and try live for a few hours whereby no one can contact you, it is nice experience for me :)

As someone who works with computers every day I find the right tool for me to access the internet is a computer and not a smart phone. Smart phones have their purposes, but just as I chose not to use an electric scooter for transport I also chose not to use a phone as a computer, for me a smart phone is a compromise for convenience and not a primary device.

A friend recently watched an important Everton football match on his phone, my first thought was "can't you afford a TV or proper computer" but then I realised it was just some people do things differently. But it is not something I would chose to do.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Sausage whenever I try to access banking on my PC they 'need' to text me a security number, or call me. The call me option would result in silly questions I imagine.
It seems to me 'they' are promoting my phone as their favoured media. I 'assume' these school leaver boffins consider it to be safer, securitywise. It's already seen my fingerprint twice.

For quick view of my banking I favour the phone. For banking activities I favour the p.c.

Don't do Faceache, tik tock, Linkedin, ...... I use Whatsapp for family/ friends stuff, and sometimes I find that intrusive. I've archived a couple of contacts so the phone ceases to continually pester me with their inane messages.

Annoying is my phone continually reminding me of things that don't flippin' matter.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sausage whenever I try to access banking on my PC they 'need' to text me a security number, or call me. The call me option would result in silly questions I imagine.
It seems to me 'they' are promoting my phone as their favoured media. I 'assume' these school leaver boffins consider it to be safer, securitywise. It's already seen my fingerprint twice.

For quick view of my banking I favour the phone. For banking activities I favour the p.c.

Don't do Faceache, tik tock, Linkedin, ...... I use Whatsapp for family/ friends stuff, and sometimes I find that intrusive. I've archived a couple of contacts so the phone ceases to continually pester me with their inane messages.

Annoying is my phone continually reminding me of things that don't flippin' matter.
When you chose the call me option it is an automated voice that tells you a number - same as if they'd texted it to you

I also have no alerts - either sound or vibrate set on any of my devices. I also turn off message notification (apart from the forum natch...) :cool:

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Most will follow suit being suckered into the hype. If you don’t own it, you are not in control simples.

We are in a damned if you and damned if you don’t phase now and it only goes one way, it will get worse as time goes by.

I had account and ID theft and it could only have happened following a visit to a branch! Turns out it was an employee at branch after 5 months! So even good old fashioned stuff is now not safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I’d like to be able to use a car when I need it and not pay to have something standing around that I do not need 90% of the time. In SanDiego (and I’m sure many other cities now) they have a scheme where, you register with the company and can access their cars. Find a car (funny looking little smart car things) near you on the app, use it & when you are done park it where it suits you for the next person to find.

They were dotted all over San Diego when I was there.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Thanks for the pointer I was aware of that and it is a great service for those that use it. I prefer not to have banking apps or other apps on my phone for security reasons. I.e 1) if I lose my phone 2) Dodgy code from unscrupulous developers. 3) Mandatory upgrades.

I am certain point 2 does not apply to banking apps, but point 1 and 3 do and that is enough for me :) I'm out.

However, I feel it is not unreasonable to expect to be able to rely on a major bank to not lose a cheque. A sign of the times.
U n me both....

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom