The fun begins :(

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
people need to do a driving test. If I recall (20 odd years back) it was always handbrake up at a stop for any length of time
to avoid this type of rather unfortunate incident
That's OK once someone else has parked behind you, before that if they're not paying attention they just see a car in the distance with no lights on and might not notice they're stopped... We had a member on here who drove into the back of a parked car on the motorway in his Transit as there weren't any brake lights and he didn't realise they were stopped.

If I've someone too close behind I'll give more space in front as I have to judge the braking for them as well. If I've already stopped and can see vehicles approaching I'll pump the brake pedal to flash my brake lights as the human eye is more attuned to movement (light on/off) than a constant light. I'll also try and give more space in front in case I need to move if they're not showing signs of stopping.

I had that in lane 3 of the M1 in 2009, we'd all stopped and I could see in the rear view mirror a Corsa approaching fast, I managed to pull forward and to the left of my lane (lane 2 stationary as well) and he just missed my back and went past me and into the central reservation.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It was about this time last year that a woman drove into the back me in queuing traffic .... it was apparently my fault as I hadn't moved when (almost) everyone else had!

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Having sorted the insurance I went to take the SL to the repairers for a quote.

Started with it not unlocking, then service brake failure, hid bulb failure drivers side, no heating, SRS error....

Fired up the diagnostic kit....
No CAN communication with just about anything.
Managed to clear most of the errors but still have a dozen that come straight back. Five on ICM, 3 on driver front SAM and 1 on passenger front SAM, 2 on Distronic and 2 on the engine.
These all relate to CAN communication with the A/C, PSE and each other.
Managed to get it to the repairers so he can start work on the estimate but looks like I have some fun and games chasing this down. Annoyingly it was fine when parked up after the accident.

The headlight issue is very weird. Passenger headlight comes on with the ignition irrespective of the position of the lighting switch. Drivers side comes on with the headlight switch put to headlights but won't work on auto.

Gave up tonight. Too dark and too cold but I'm starting to suspect the right front SAM has died :(

Oh, and nothing is drowned.
This accident was obviously not your fault and you have witnesses to prove that. So why don't you let the repairer itemise everything that's wrong and submit it to the relevant insurance company. After the accident you drove the car home as it was still in a roadworthy condition you wasn't to know at the time that there was problems with the electronics. Don't do the insurance's work for them.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
This accident was obviously not your fault and you have witnesses to prove that. So why don't you let the repairer itemise everything that's wrong and submit it to the relevant insurance company. After the accident you drove the car home as it was still in a roadworthy condition you wasn't to know at the time that there was problems with the electronics. Don't do the insurance's work for them.
I fear with that scenario that “Write-off” could be the outcome... :(

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220

I have to agree with this, as lovely as the car is,
it is not worth ( £ ) what it IS worth () should the insurance company get a massive list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
You'll be surprised at how very little can write off a car.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

but until an insurance company pays out, Alistair still owns the car ....
I knew some one is a similar situation where he worked with the insurance & came to an agreement .... they paid out & he repaired the car with used parts. Everyone was happy!

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Screenshot_20210211-094343_WhatsApp.jpg

That tiny bit of bumper damage wrote off the car , so when people are scared of Cat N , think again , it's the ones you don't know about !

A completely clear car can have far more paintwork done .

philreed52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270clk
View attachment 65510

That tiny bit of bumper damage wrote off the car , so when people are scared of Cat N , think again , it's the ones you don't know about !

A completely clear car can have far more paintwork done .
I had similar problem a few years ago with a Peugeot 406 coupe that was mint . Rear exhaust box broke off and went through plastic bumper .A major chain of bodywork repairs wanted to write car off as they would not guarantee paint match as it was pearlecent paint.
The assessor could not believe it !!
I did a deal with the assessor for an agreed amount and car back unrecorded. My local garage repaired it and paint matched paint straight out of tin . Insurance companies insist on using approved workshops which I dont really agree on even more so after that incident . Upside I made £800 after paying for parts and repair .So how much were the "approved repairs " charging ??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
but until an insurance company pays out, Alistair still owns the car ....
I knew some one is a similar situation where he worked with the insurance & came to an agreement .... they paid out & he repaired the car with used parts. Everyone was happy!
That's what I did with my CBR600, they wrote it off, I bought it for £150 and spent £46 on the headlight bracket to repair it...
I then spent 10 months arguing the value for the payout... eventually it went to the ombudsman and they agreed with me, the insurance company then paid in full and also added interest for the delays. Also as the V5 was never returned to them it has never been recorded as written off ;) :)

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
I had a slight rear end bump some years ago in a Jag not my fault and I had a witness My insurance told me to take the car to one of their recognised body shops, which was on the other side of Manchester to where I live. So I took it to the local Jag agents who sorted everything out inc a hire car for a week and they claimed everything back from the guys insurance company. My insurance company as far as I know didn't get involved. The car was perfect when it came back having had a full valet inside and out.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Check the 20 amp fuse in the rear SAM LK. If the PSE has had a punch it might have sent a surge and blown it. Hence all the CAN comms faults.

Absolutely gutted its happened. One of the nicest SLs out there too.

OP
LostKiwi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Check the 20 amp fuse in the rear SAM LK. If the PSE has had a punch it might have sent a surge and blown it. Hence all the CAN comms faults.

Absolutely gutted its happened. One of the nicest SLs out there too.
Cheers Steve. All the fuses checked out ok once I figured out how the get the storage cubbies unlocked.
Not really had the chance to look at it since but will need to try to gain access to the boot this weekend. Unfortunately the key just spins and does nothing.
I suspect removal of the third brake light will be the best option.
The repairer has said the insurance company wants a full survey of the car due to its age.
I can see what's coming but if they think they're going to write it off they can think again.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I can see what's coming but if they think they're going to write it off they can think again.

Hope all works out LK, but how can you prevent insurance companies writing the car off ?

OP
LostKiwi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hope all works out LK, but how can you prevent insurance companies writing the car off ?
I have a strong case as I was a completely innocent party (stationary, hit by a car that was pushed into me by their insured driver who admitted liability) so can push them harder to pay up to the value of the vehicle. I can also suggest to them that if they won't play nicely I'll engage an accident management company and seek a rental car and everything else I'm entitled to thus driving their cost up massively.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Alistair go for it. Cant see why you cant go after the other insurer..or maybe agree a decent settlement that allows you to sort it
Sure they will try but cant see how insurers can force you to loose out...

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
My w220 was "written off" years ago Skidded on ice, one wing hit a bin. Car spun and other wing hit a bus. The damage was both wings, some suspension parts, alloy, airmatic struts and the head lamps.
What writes the car off is the cost to put it right (new geniune parts, labour, paint etc) vs the market value.
The car had 42K miles on it at 10 years old and is mint, I have it since almost new.
I kept the car as they value was heartbreaking. I purchased genuine wings and lamps from a car being broken and all other bits I got brand new from MB.
My indy done all the work. I kept the car and I banked 2k from the insurance.
Yes I still have the car. Yes its still mint and its on 72k and 17 years old and I love it.
So Ins co can write of the car. Nothing stopping you from keeping it.
So LK i know where you are coming from.
Good luck.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
My w220 was "written off" years ago Skidded on ice, one wing hit a bin. Car spun and other wing hit a bus. The damage was both wings, some suspension parts, alloy, airmatic struts and the head lamps.
What writes the car off is the cost to put it right (new geniune parts, labour, paint etc) vs the market value.
The car had 42K miles on it at 10 years old and is mint, I have it since almost new.
I kept the car as they value was heartbreaking. I purchased genuine wings and lamps from a car being broken and all other bits I got brand new from MB.
My indy done all the work. I kept the car and I banked 2k from the insurance.
Yes I still have the car. Yes its still mint and its on 72k and 17 years old and I love it.
So Ins co can write of the car. Nothing stopping you from keeping it.
So LK i know where you are coming from.
Good luck.
Out of interest, Is it recorded as Cat D ?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom