The future of performance motoring and why it makes me sad..

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Not sure I'd call a Fisker bland (but it's also not pure electric).

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Not sure I'd call a Fisker bland (but it's also not pure electric).

Fair enough... As I was typing that, I knew somebody was going to mention Fisker.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
The Tesla roadster also has potential imho, but I don't necessarily want my cars to look they have come out of a computer game. The designs are very basic versus that of what premium german brands product.

The Fisker Karma is a very long way from being very basic, it's stunning !! :D This one is the colour of the one I saw coming out of Norwich a couple of years ago, looked fabulous :)

75881.jpg

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Did you manage any photos - if you did feel free to PM over :D

I will do Conor. I have been away and will get back on the subject this weekend. ;)

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
There could be worse to come - this was featured in an email newsletter I received this morning :shock:
https://www.petrolprices.com/news/p...be-banned-by-2030-says-pro-corbyn-think-tank/

This just smells as usual of those holier than thou public "servants" :D:D:D! who sit in the back of the car being chauffeur driven on our money. I don't mind anyone pointing out what our world needs but I really do object to total unjustified hypocrisy. - UK Gov has always been able to control the number of large vehicles with the cost of the tax disc.

I don't think anyone should be allowed a private registered car - except for me!

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Can't talk for the true exotics but all new cars I've driven/been in (up to and including a new W213? E250d) have been engineered to have as little character and NVH as possible anyway, focussing instead on acceleration and no doubt dry handling (meaning fat tuyres, poor wet weather handling and a bad ride). It's almost like they're trying to be electric cars for the Gran Turismo generation anyway so why not go the whole hog and be electric powered. So much so that I will not get a cheap subsidised lease company car because although it's only about 200/month over my W124 runnign costs (and a big bill could significantly reduce that gap) I actually prefer the NVH, long constant "power" band (if one can call it that with 108bhp) of a 1980s N/A diesel.

Also when a 4 cylinder can now produce 300bhp it makes a V12 a bit ridiculous, I mean is 900bhp a good thing to have for a really fun engaging drive.

If you're mourning the loss of engines like the 90s BMW straight six found in a 328i or the Bentley/6.75L Turbo/Jag AJ6s/V12s fair enough, but most cars, including the sports specs have had nothing remotely exciting in terms of engine carachter for a fair while now.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Future? All automatic, like so:

Car 'Where to, sir?' Car senses gender before asking question.
You 'Land's End.'
Car 'What mode, sir?'
You 'Fast as possible.'
Windows go dark, interior mood lighting comes on.
Car 'Please correctly buckle harness, sir.'
There is a blinding burst of Learjet type acceleration.
Car 'What entertainment would you prefer, sir?'
A short while later the windows clear and you are told 'You have reached your destination.'

That's involved motoring!

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
I saw a news article today whereby written off Tesla’s and Leafs were being cannibalised to convert old Ferrari’s and the like to electrickery. Not sure how I feel about that however I know it will become more popliar with “investors”

I'm not sure investors will bother. The car will not be original so there'd be little money in it. It's sacrilege and being a fan and owner I'd rather it just went to a museum than be converted with an electric drill motor. I'm not sure why you would remove a Ferrari's engine for any reason. Maybe if it's uneconomical to repair but I'd imagine a washing machine powered transmission conversion is going to be more expensive than an engine rebuild. I think quite frankly owners of Scalextric powered classics ought to be imprisoned. :D

Enzo had said "You buy the engine and the car is free". Without that engine it is no longer a Ferrari but a worthless replica.

I believe there will always be a means in which to obtain petrol but it will become very exclusive and expensive. I will probably retire before the full onset of the worst thing in motoring history occurs (autonomous sewing machines) so my Ferrari will have moved on anyway.

I nearly bought a Model 3 instead of my CLA but Musky was late (surprise, surprise), went camping, it rained and bits fell off. As I live in Manchester I thought it'd probably be a bad idea having to collect parts as I drove to work and I had already bought my CLA.

Have you seen the interior of them too? Expensive for such bland crap.

It was only ever about being cheap, I wanted the cheap running costs but then in April this year Elon sent me an email and told me I could look at a Model 3 but would need £40k to drive a basic one. Compared to my already beautiful (and remarkably cheaper) CLA I told him to do one.

Nothing has fallen off my CLA, I got it before the expected delivery date and it wasn't built in a tent. :cool: In fact I have just booked it in for its first annual service and it has been perfect to date. One of the best daily cars I've ever owned.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
It's very rewarding to read a review like yours MalcQV amd I sincerely hope it stays as you describe (no reason why it shouldn't).

I do wonder what a Tesla will be like when it's 10 or 12 years old. My 'S203 Avantgarde Estate still feels like a "proper" car with a "presence" on the road and with 100K+ now on the clock I don't suffer from bits dropping off either.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I'm not sure why you would remove a Ferrari's engine for any reason.

Umm, because it may be the only way to try and keep up with a far cheaper and quicker tesla ? haha..

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The Fisker Karma is a very long way from being very basic, it's stunning !! :D This one is the colour of the one I saw coming out of Norwich a couple of years ago, looked fabulous :)

75881.jpg
Looks like a BMW to me.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I thought it had bmw looks too ! But how about this one, 500 hp - to each wheel !

Attachments

• 01-lotus-evija-quail.jpg
    01-lotus-evija-quail.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 9

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
Umm, because it may be the only way to try and keep up with a far cheaper and quicker tesla ? haha..
There is no Tesla cheaper than my Ferrari ;) even the top specced M3 beating Model 3 is probably as expensive. It's also an eye sore :p
On a track with equal drivers even my Ferrari will keep with the best overweight sloppy Teslas. A modern supercar will wallop them.
Only Rimac and a selected few are very fast on a track.

Straight line performance cars that are shoddily built.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
There is no Tesla cheaper than my Ferrari ;) even the top specced M3 beating Model 3 is probably as expensive. It's also an eye sore :p
On a track with equal drivers even my Ferrari will keep with the best overweight sloppy Teslas. A modern supercar will wallop them.
Only Rimac and a selected few are very fast on a track.

Straight line performance cars that are shoddily built.
When I drove the Nurburgring there was a Model S sat at the end of the straight, it made not quite 1 lap...

I did 4 in my 911 and drove home afterwards :)

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
When I drove the Nurburgring there was a Model S sat at the end of the straight, it made not quite 1 lap...

I did 4 in my 911 and drove home afterwards :)
:D Ran out of electricity or did it break? Probably both :p

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I also depair at the inevitable future of being forced into electric vehicles. Had a ride in one (a Nissan Leaf). Absolutely soulless thing.

And........they are very expensive to buy for what they are, their ecological benefits are highly debatable, they run on power from Drax B which isn't sustainable.
What else? If the expensive battery packs are to last, it takes several hours to charge them and a trip from London to Edinburgh will take days.

There's more........Where is all the electricity coming from to power these abominations? We can barely supply the National Grid at peak times.

Inevitable they will replace petrol/paraffin burners, but I'm glad I won't be around to witness it all.
As for banning sales of all the above cars by 2032.....................not a chance worldwide. And why should UK motorists stand by and watch Clint, Hank, Bud and Chuck continue to buy fossil fuelled transport when you know damn well they won't give them up.
Can you see the unrest it will cause with French motorists?

Once again, our politicians bow to enviromentalists who want to ban anything and everything that causes greenhouse gasses.
Funny that back in the 80's they insisted manufacturers fit catalytic convertors to our cars to convert gases that don't warm the planet into CO2, which apparently does!

Sorry, electric (only) cars get a big fat no from me.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom