The future of performance motoring and why it makes me sad..

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
rappey69 said:
Do you not drive cars with powerfull engines for the feel good factor? There is a feel good factor when your in the quickest car around !
The only car I have with any half decent power is the Ferrari. The Z3 is a lowly 1.9 with just 140bhp (at least when new) and the CLA is just a 1.6 with about 156bhp.

It’s a Ferrari, so I know it’s capabilities are impressive
(relative to the era of the car). It never phased me, although I appreciate that some are all caught
up in power and speed. To me, Ferrari ownership is an appreciation of beauty, design, scents, sounds
(real engine sounds, not contrived sounds by tacking on after market exhausts). It’s a pure visceral
experience. Also, it’s about being part (albeit a small part) of the great heritage and
legacy of the brand, it’s models, it’s racing and it’s personalities.
The people I have met through owning this marque is one of the best parts about ownership.

Not my words exactly but it sums up Ferrari for me. Honestly I love how it sounds. When I lower myself in (you should see how tiny my garage is) and wait for the Check OK to extinguish and fire it up, my heart races, it does that every single time. It has a unique smell which is leather and carpet I think. It has Carbon Fibre low slung seats, you sit or at least feel you sit on the floor.

When you stop it there are fans slowing stopping and other things, it sounds like a jet on the runway as the engines are turned off (as I said some ancillary stuff slowing), it's how my Fiancee describes it.

It's not for everyone and I know there are people here who feel the same about V8 Mercedes and such.

The BMW is really about open top driving. In many ways it is better than the Alfa Spider I had before but then it is not. The BMW lacks a little of the character my Alfa had. That said I have just fixed the viscous fan and replaced the cat back exhaust and all home DIY. It's a peach to work on and rather simple, still drives lovely and feels tight. The exhaust I bought (cheap) actually has a bass like tone to it and sounds OK, not sure at speed because it drones a little.
It's purpose was to be a summer use commuter as well as fun.

The CLA is just a neat economical car and does sound OK when you push it.

So no, it is not really about power it is simply how the cars make me feel. I may well buy an EV next or a hybrid (I do like i8's but that would mean selling my 360). In fact regarding the i8; if the government said we could only have one car/person and it had to be recognised as environmentally good then I would ditch them all for a secondhand i8.

The only EV I think I would enjoy is a Rimac, it has a supercharger like whine to it. I could do that but for the cost. However if I had that kind of money there would be other ICE/Hybrid hypercars I'd have.

"There is a feel good factor when your in the quickest car around !"
I'm always humbled by the cars around me. You never really know what they're capable of and as such I rarely challenge anything from rest. I will have fun on one of those A-Road drives and regularly do in all of them.
There is always something faster, always and you just never know.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ a nice summary of your collection Malc
I mirror your comment about how you feel when you sit in the car- I like to feel a bit ‘special’ in a car and that’s what the i8 achieves nicely , the Barry boys haven’t yet got a hold of them to spoil....

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 Avantgarde 2000
Wow.. So presumptuous, but what makes it worse is you've no personal experience to base your incorrect opinions on.
Ive had a bike license for as long as I can remember so have owned and ridden plenty of fast bikes. Still got a bike now.
Now im not totally sure what im supposedly talking absolute rubbish about, but if its the tesla v bike thing then I can easily prove that, as I don't make presumptions or claims I cant back up.
You just cant comprehend the sheer instant power because you've never experienced anything like it, and judging by your posts are not open minded enough to accept that in a few years electric cars will be leaving your Ferrari standing ,even on track !
Here is the proof that it will beat a bike, in fact a proper ducati 1000 super bike ridden by a professional ..
Fast forward to 15 mins to see firstly a c63 amg v tesla drag race to get an understanding of how crazy quick a tesla really is, then onto 19 mins and see the bike lose !
When you have power like that from a family saloon its hard to accept any performance petrol car has a future other than as a classic car.

Just watched the video. Impressive stuff.

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
It just so happens a work colleague (well we work at the same company and until today I hardly knew him) has just bought a Model 3. It is the first one I have seen in the metal. What's more he only ordered it in May this year!

I saw it parked at one of two charging points we have at work and from the side it was obviously Tesla. I thought it was a Model S, it is actually quite a bit larger than I thought. I walked on because a Model S is just silly money and not worth the effort.
As I walked out to my Z3 I looked at the front and noticed that odd front where a grill would be. Now on pictures I think it looks hideous but because in the UK we have to have a front plate it actually looks better.

Today I asked him if I could have a look and he obliged. What a neat looking car and the fit and finish looks as good as any car to me. The strip of wood across the dash looks OK, always looked bad on pictures. Steering wheel is simple with just three buttons on I think.
Leather seats in black and then the iPad in the centre. It is actually quite large and easy to see. He gave me a quick demo and showed me an example of a trip to Glasgow (another site we own) and it showed he would not make it on the current charge and where he might 'fill up'. It also highlighted on another example how many charging bays a services had and how many were actually being used.

There was plenty of room in the back for a six footer and the front seat was set for me (almost 6 ft). Full glass roof. Dark grey metallic 18" alloys against the dark blue metallic paint looked good. There are some covers for the wheels to give you better Cd of sum paltry amount. He decided they looked **** and took them off, think early Ford Sierra I reckon.

All in all I was quite impressed and I mentioned in one of my posts that I looked at the idea of one last year but Musky had manufacturing issues and it looked like we'd get them when the sun finally crashes into the planet.

At some point he said he'd take me out in it. I'm also at my brother's this weekend and he recently bought a 2012 Vauxhall Ampere.

All in all a good looking car. See I'm not all EV negative :D

I'd certainly consider one next time around. Purely because I'm a tight arse, obviously :p

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
The model 3 does look a little off and the interior seems a big downgrade compared to the model S, but at the end of the day it should be cheap motoring..
My friend sold his model S :( , but bought a model X. That has "party mode". I think its for giving the middle finger to whatever you've just trounced on the drag strip... haha..

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'm a bit puzzled by the agenda of that site. Some of the articles are contradictory, such as welcoming coal in Cumbria but decrying its use in Asia.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I just thought it had some interesting "facts and figures" , true or not?
Its from one of those annoying android notifications that you never signed up to .

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
"This week in the AMG Private Lounge we are presenting two new, extraordinary vehicles: the Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 4MATIC+ Coupé (fuel consumption combined: 9.3 l/100 km; CO₂ emissions combined: 212 g/km)¹ and the Mercedes-AMG-GLB 35 4MATIC (fuel consumption combined: 7.6 - 7.5 l/100 km, CO₂ emissions combined: 173 - 171 g/km)¹."

If that's how AMG are advertising then the future of performance cars is bleak

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom