Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Agreed Rob, that's been the highlight so far of the series...enjoyed it greatly

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Its one of those things that falls neatly down the cracks of copyright law.
Its not illegal to have or use a Kodi box, nor is it illegal to view the streamed data. Its illegal to host the data but as a streaming user thats not your concern outside of the possibility the content could be shutdown. .

You point above is taken but, is the content usually free - or would I usually have to pay for what I'm viewing through "normal" channels? i.e. could I get done for theft?

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
You point above is taken but, is the content usually free - or would I usually have to pay for what I'm viewing through "normal" channels? i.e. could I get done for theft?

In 2014 the EU Court of Justice ruled that copies of internet content that are 'transient or incidental in nature and constituting an integral and essential part of a technological process' can be made without authorisation of the copyright holders.

This is widely interpreted here as 'streaming' videos from any source is legal, whereas 'downloading' them without authorisation is not.

OP
PovertySpec

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
This is widely interpreted here as 'streaming' videos from any source is legal, whereas 'downloading' them without authorisation is not.

Downloading is not illegal. Uploading is illegal.

Providing streams of IP protected content is illegal, accessing streams is currently not illegal.

Streams are technically downloads anyway as the streamed 1s and 0s need to be recompiled by your CPU on your hard drive.

This is also the source of the phrase 'making indecent images' as the images are made on the users hard drive.

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Downloading is not illegal. Uploading is illegal.

Providing streams of IP protected content is illegal, accessing streams is currently not illegal.

Streams are technically downloads anyway as the streamed 1s and 0s need to be recompiled by your CPU on your hard drive.

Interesting. I understood that both uploading and downloading protected content was illegal, but the former is also criminal whereas the latter is not. In other words uploading is a criminal offence with (in the UK) a maximum penalty of two years imprisonment whereas downloading is subject to civil law and the aggrieved party has to sue you for compensation.

While I agree that streaming can be seen as downloading, the EU Court ruling identifies it as a 'transient' and therefore not illegal.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
I just subscribed to prime..

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom