The mystery road on Mercedes Sat Nav!!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
huge number of changes to no turn, no entry, speed limits, roundabouts phased out for traffic slowing lights, and more new roads than you think.... and if you use aboard they do build roads

every two years as a minumum

Abroad is useful...jumping into an Audi that has Spanish satnav made Waze very useful to me earlier this year.

Are people unable to use a little common sense? Even with the changes you mentioned above, a (out of date) satnav will get you pretty close to your destination/route and if a person cannot then find their way to the final destination or continue on their intended route, they should not be driving.

Serious thought........Perhaps those that drivers that have only ever known satnav for getting to a destination, have brains that are not wired to find their way, without the help of satnav, as easily as drivers that had to navigate using the information on road signs and paper maps before satnav.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I bet you still use a black and white tv! After all it will still provide tv programming.:)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I bet you still use a black and white tv! After all it will still provide tv programming.:)

not in UK it was turned off in 2012...

although seems in 2018 there were 8,242 weirdos who bought a black and white TV license.... allegedly if you have the right set top box you might be able to get something onscreen

actually its probably dead people with a direct debit still running

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
My old Peugeot had navteq which was ok apart from very strange pronunciation of 'yards' ; as ya-ards. When I got the Merc (2004) it was still navteq but more polite, sayng 'please' before instructions. Just fitted an Android unit and using Google maps the other day it did a good job directing me off the M40 to avoid delay.

Didn't warn of the inconsiderate *@_#:&_ who was driving a combine to and from Thame at 10mph making no attempt to pull over. Still, it's raining today so he'll have wet crops to deal with - serve him right.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My old Peugeot had navteq which was ok apart from very strange pronunciation of 'yards' ; as ya-ards. When I got the Merc (2004) it was still navteq but more polite, sayng 'please' before instructions. Just fitted an Android unit and using Google maps the other day it did a good job directing me off the M40 to avoid delay.

Didn't warn of the inconsiderate *@_#:&_ who was driving a combine to and from Thame at 10mph making no attempt to pull over. Still, it's raining today so he'll have wet crops to deal with - serve him right.
If you drive in the country expect farm traffic, as people are still wanting to eat and farmers need to get the crops harvested. There's not many combines that could pull over on a country road and still leave space to get past - you're also on his territory not the other way around.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
If you drive in the country expect farm traffic, as people are still wanting to eat and farmers need to get the crops harvested. There's not many combines that could pull over on a country road and still leave space to get past - you're also on his territory not the other way around.

on that front it is and has always been illegal for farm traffic or other builder types to spread muck and filth on the road... stop and clean the wheels before you get on public roads AND get out of the way at earliest opportunity giving way to other traffic

and as the customer is always right ….its our roads and our food bills so get out the way !!

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
Wasn't entirely serious and live in a country area so do appreciate that fact, but passing several wide entrances and even crossing a roundabout while still holding up 50 plus cars was muppetry above and beyond. !

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
on that front it is and has always been illegal for farm traffic or other builder types to spread muck and filth on the road... stop and clean the wheels before you get on public roads AND get out of the way at earliest opportunity giving way to other traffic

and as the customer is always right ….its our roads and our food bills so get out the way !!
I'm sure you'll be very "right" with this*

upload_2019-7-19_10-39-49.png

*right in the ditch...:rolleyes:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
not in UK it was turned off in 2012...

although seems in 2018 there were 8,242 weirdos who bought a black and white TV license.... allegedly if you have the right set top box you might be able to get something onscreen

actually its probably dead people with a direct debit still running
Forgot about that, but my point was made :)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
seeing as I bought it (with my eu taxes) and he's much smaller than I am, I'll take it on no issues if he's a bad driver

index.php

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
seeing as I bought it (with my eu taxes) and he's much smaller than I am, I'll take it on no issues if he's a bad driver
He'll be 13 years old and updating his snapchat story and insta feed - he won't even notice you've gone under his wheels...

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
He'll be 13 years old and updating his snapchat story and insta feed - he won't even notice you've gone under his wheels...

sheep grinder, probably

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

Should have gone to Specsavers or read the post properly:geek: ..... from everything I have written, I clearly use satnav (built in and Waze) -

I'm simply questioning the seemingly obsessive need to have the very latest version of maps......

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I'm sure you'll be very "right" with this*

View attachment 51475

*right in the ditch...:rolleyes:

Problem is that a lot of guys driving those big rigs are part timers & only hired for the season. Our village has a good relationship with the local farmers and they do their best to make sure the lads drive sensibly. The beginning of teh season always has a bit of tractor hooning until somebody chats to the farmers.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
a few other critical things to know if you don't want 6 points and 200 quid fine

Hands-free phone use: the law
You are not allowed to pick it up and operate it even momentarily.

Any hands-free devices should be fully set up before you drive, so you can take calls without handling the device.

The police still have the power to stop you if they believe you have been distracted by using a mobile phone while driving, even if it’s fully hands-free. Some road safety groups believe mobile phones should be completely switched off while driving, to avoid any distractions.

Using a phone as a sat-nav: the law
It is no excuse to say you’re simply following the mapping on your hand-held device and that's why you've picked it up. The mobile phone law specifically refers to this, stating it is illegal to use a hand-held mobile to follow a map.

If you wish to use smartphone navigation or a mapping app, fix the phone to the windscreen or dashboard, so it’s in clear view for use while driving (but not obstructing your view), without requiring you to hold or interact with it.

which makes apple car play illegal without a touch screen on the car.....

The term "mobile phone" will cover cell-phones and smart phones.

“Hand-held device”
Regulation 110(4) defines a hand-held device as a device which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data.
Regulation 110(6)(c) provides a non-exhaustive list of "interactive communication functions" such as: sending or receiving oral or written messages, sending or receiving facsimile documents, sending or receiving still or moving images, and providing access to the internet. As internet communication is included, the interaction does not therefore have to be with another person.

which fits the first sentence at the top, even with a cradle you now can't answer or hang up the phone (by touching it)

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-mobile-phones

Last edited:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Should have gone to Specsavers or read the post properly:geek: ..... from everything I have written, I clearly use satnav (built in and Waze) -

I'm simply questioning the seemingly obsessive need to have the very latest version of maps......
Not at all, I understand you use satnav, what I don't understand is why you are happy to use out dated satnav mapping and hence my simile regarding B&W TV as opposed to colour TV. :)

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Actually, it wasn't as you completely misread/ misunderstood or didn't read my comments .....;) and so, your point was well......."pointless" :)
Chill, I get it, you are happy to use out dated satnav mapping and cant understand why everyone isn't like you. Lets leave it there :D

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
why does satnav street data have to be the most current - the UK roads don't change that much do they?

I’m with you in this. I only had one update on my previous car and I think I only ever came across three new roads which were not on my maps - travelling across the UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Italy. None of them caused me any problems. I could cope with the Hindhead tunnel not being shown and completion of the Carpentras bypass in Provence just made complete sense. The only time I has a problem was in Tuscany. I coped well and easily got to my destination but the system thought I was driving across a field, threw a strop and sulked for a while.

Serious thought........Perhaps those that drivers that have only ever known satnav for getting to a destination, have brains that are not wired to find their way, without the help of satnav, as easily as drivers that had to navigate using the information on road signs and paper maps before satnav.

Like you, I’m of the generation used to finding their way by “following their nose” and common sense. I suspect the yoof of today, who can’t do anything without their phones telling them to, won't have a clue if their SatNav or apps don't work o_O

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
....................... Lets leave it there :D

Why, do you want the last word:D? I like to have the last word......:)!!

Based on misreading my posts, you implied that I like old fashioned stuff. You were wrong, as I don't - I simply corrected you.

I was using satnav in it's infancy and (pre Tom Tom, et al & built in satnav)). I had a GPS receiver tied to a PDA (Compaq) in the late 90s. Later, working in the ME in the early 2000s I had a scanned map of Doha calibrated to my software (and same old Compaq and gps receiver) and was able to get around Doha (which was a real rabbit warren then) reasonably well so.....I cannot understand the need to have most current satnav maps ......operational s/ware maybe, but maps no!!

However we are all free to spend our dosh as we please. I bought my car brand new & have had an update - last service - maybe one next year (3 years old) again & otherwise I'll wait a couple of years or buy a new car :) (don't tell my wife).

Let's leave it there! :)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom