The REAL cost of ownership

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
In this kind of quantative analysis you always need to factor in the costs of the alternative before getting to the real cost of ownership.
You have to have a way of getting from A to B,unless you're happy to remain housebound.
So cost out taxis, rail, bus, bike, shoe leather, I'd guess for most of us running a car would then look quite a bargain.

Indeed that is the case as one gets older, it often loosing that feeling of independence that stops one from getting rid of the car.

Yesterday we did a little food shop and there was this little very old guy standing at a bus stop, it was raining and blowing, when we were on our way home he was still there. we stopped and I asked the man where he was going and it was just 3 miles out of our way so we took him home and went on our way.

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
Indeed that is the case as one gets older, it often loosing that feeling of independence that stops one from getting rid of the car.

Yesterday we did a little food shop and there was this little very old guy standing at a bus stop, it was raining and blowing, when we were on our way home he was still there. we stopped and I asked the man where he was going and it was just 3 miles out of our way so we took him home and went on our way.

your nice good deed for the day Malc..well done;):D

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I once worked out how much I'd spent on takeaway pizzas, thousands!

Sometimes its best not to look at how much you've spent.

:lol:..dont go there:Oops::lol:...before i met Kat i lived on Domino s pizza and chinese takeaway along with good old microwave roast dinners:lol:...i could of brought a MB long ago if it wasnt for that:Oops::lol:..oh well:lol:

Last edited:

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Do not read this if you have poor bowel control

I think I am getting sadder but I have been refining my motor car costing system for a wasting asset and have been spending my festive break putting the ''system'' on to a spread sheet.

It needs testing by third parties but in splendid isolation I am quietly pleased with the result.

I do not think I can upload a spread sheet so the attached is merely a scan of a print out.

3M A costings to 31 March 2011.jpg

Happy Motoring.

Mic

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
errrrrm - I'm saying nothing about mine!

:Oops::Oops::Oops::Oops::Oops:

Devonian

Reaction score
I think I am getting sadder but I have been refining my motor car costing system for a wasting asset and have been spending my festive break putting the ''system'' on to a spread sheet.

It needs testing by third parties but in splendid isolation I am quietly pleased with the result.

I do not think I can upload a spread sheet so the attached is merely a scan of a print out.

View attachment 21247

Happy Motoring.

Mic

That looks a fancy Spreadsheet Mic :)

I don't think it's sad at all. It's interesting to know the overall costs. I fully agree with the other comments that you have to factor in some cost for transport if it wasn't your current vehicle then it would be another.

w44nty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDI 2002,C180 Kompressor
If you have to worry about the cost,you cannot afford to have it,thats my motto,if I have the money I will have it,if not I cannot have it.

Thats why I drive a 2002 ML.

Devonian

Reaction score
If you have to worry about the cost,you cannot afford to have it,thats my motto,if I have the money I will have it,if not I cannot have it.

Thats why I drive a 2002 ML.
Tracking the costs is not the same as worrying about them. I agree if you worry about the cost of something you would be better off not having it but if you are able to afford it that doesn't mean that you shouldn't monitor the cost and/or pair it down where possible.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have been self employed all my life and have never ever done a spread sheet or ever kept any record of my earnings or expenses :(

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have been self employed all my life and have never ever done a spread sheet or ever kept any record of my earnings or expenses :(

your vat and tax bill must of been intersting Malc;):lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
your vat and tax bill must of been intersting Malc;):lol:

I only ever put down things for VAT related things,,, 10 years of my life I was doing handicapped equipment for blind children and MPS workers, that was all Zero rated and the VAT people hated me, well I did not like them either :D

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the VAT people hated me, well I did not like them either :D

:lol:...dont think many have a good relationship with the VAT office:shock:..i certainly dont:rolleyes::lol:...i needed a bit of help on one vat quarter year or so back and they were just unreal!!..20 min phone call asking me what i done with there vat money:rolleyes:...she got under my skin a bit and in the end i asked if she would like all our bizz and personal bank statements emailed over...she backed down a bit after that and very kindly gave me 21 extra days:lol:...i thanked her for her kind help and vowed never to call em again over 20 years without ever a problem and then your made to feel like a criminal:evil:

and breathe:D:lol:

bedista

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
/eclass/2003/2.7cdi
Hi Guys,

I've just registered. Can any one of you please direct me to a website link where I can get part numbers for my cigarette lighter with ash tray and cd changer, if poss, I just need the cover or trim for my eclass 2003 w211 2.7 cdi?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom