The roof damages the carpet

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 : SLK 200, AMG , R172 Eng' 271.861
Dear All,

I have noticed recently that the carpet on the RHS of my boot seem to be dragged out from under the rubber seal that retains it every time the roof is retracted. I also note that the rubber seal is damaged as it appears to be scratched as depicted in the images below. I also added an image of the LHS for comparison.

Unfortunately, I can not determine what is causing this problem as its impossible to operate the roof control and watch the assembly moving simultaneously.

Does anyone have any idea whether this damage is a harbinger of future disaster , what is causing this issue, how can it be rectified, could the rattle at the rear of the car when the roof is up/on indicate a slackness in the mechanism which may be the causing this issue, finally; do you regard this a s a warranty issue??

Thank you for your time spent reading this.

Regards to All

Tedfred

Attachments

• RHS.jpg
    RHS.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 24
  • LHS.jpg
    LHS.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 24

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’d look at how the carpet is located and is it sticking out at all. I can stop my SLK roof in any position so can open it a bit and see what’s going on. I also get a willing assistant occasionally to open it for me so I can lubricant it and watch the display.

With the SL I took to France last year I could open the roof from the key (when close enough to the vehicle). It didn’t have a smart top fitted so yours might do the same. So you could watch it open.

I’d look at possibly glueing he carpet into its correct location once you work out where it’s catching the roof.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Put a video camera and light in there.

if you post the model and variant you might get more help.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Don't forget the boot opens the other way when stowing the roof. Don't know your exact model, but the little plastic water catching funnels move up with the arm they are attached to as the boot lifts backwards. Something there is catching it.

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 : SLK 200, AMG , R172 Eng' 271.861
Good Point RoryWQuin Its an 2011 SLK 200 R172.

Bobcat, I was always reluctant to stop the roof in a transient position as I was told this could confuse the control system. However, I will open the roof in stages and see what scrapes against the rubber seal.

Uncle Benz, Yes that drip tray did look like a possible cause and I am now convinced it is after you mention the fact that the boot moves the other way. If it proves to be the case I have no idea how to correct it as it appears to be on a " arm" which I do not feel is wise to bend out of the way.

I will take a look this afternoon, many thanks everyone for your feedback.

Regards Tedfred

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom