The saga is almost over - 2005, C220 CDI Classic SE, S203.208 (Estate), OM646.963 Engine

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
How do I reply to this lot? You all pose some very valid questions. Especially the one's asking why did I continue, ditch and get another car, just use this one now, etc, etc.

When I originally bought the car my BMW had just failed it's Mot and so I needed another. Year's ago when I worked at Philips Semiconductors in Southampton my team leader had bought the W124 and liked it so much he was convincing all the team to buy W124's. We were all engineer's however even though our salaries were quite good at the time not all of us could justify buying one at that stage. However 5 years ago when my old BMW died I was viewing three cars that day. A Jaguar, a BMW, and this Mercedes-Benz. At the time I was also in a really good project as a self employed test engineer with a damn good hourly rate and felt that after the first year of this project I deserved to treat myself to something nicer for a change. I must admit I wish I had switched to Mercedes-Benz back in the early 2000's when it was first suggested because I immediately understood when I started driving mine why driver's love them so much. And yes some parts can seem expensive, however they last longer than parts for other car's.

A series of both financial, mental health, and other issues then hit me since the last project 5 years ago and the bottom line came when I had to work as a courier for a while. It was believed that it was this plus the fact that I had not had her regularly serviced (big mistake) that eventually made the turbo plus an injector seal fail on me.

At that stage back in November 2018 I knew some of the very basics of what was under the bonnet and could change a few filter's etc, nothing like I have done with her this last 6-9 months. And as things progressed and I was buying new tools to get things done, more parts, cleaning gear etc and fully focused on getting her back on the road. My girlfriend asked me had I kept a record of how much it was costing me? Which I hadn't I admit.

And yes some people would have said "sod this" and thrown the towel in. That's the point when I see those comments I think to myself "Yes okay, however you don't know what my mind is thinking for my future plans", because now I have had a 'Taste' of owning a Mercedes-Benz car, I actually really like the taste, no Love the taste. And have decided that I Will now be sticking with Mercedes-Benz cars for as long as possible. Now ultimately that means something needs to change on my financial side I agree. My believe after working and having friends that all read self development books is that the universe will create the change required in order to supply what ever it is that you wish for. SO therefore my wish is to continue owning Mercedes-Benz cars, and therefore I wish my income and financial status to change accordingly, and it Will!!!

To the question of why didn’t I throw in the towel before this? Good question. I had been so focused and engrossed in getting her back on the road that I completely forgot about how much she was worth and how much I was spending, to the point whereby I had to continue anyway. Not to the point of spending thousands on her. Just enough to get her through the Mot. Had I known how much it was going to cost, and in actual fact I had a couple of places that gave me their verdict and rough estimates, would I have carried on? Probably not. And there was one thing that has kept me going through this whole saga, because never with any other car I have ever owned has there been anything like the support, the help, the comradeship, like I have found belonging to this forum and the Mercedes-Benz owner’s club. If it had been another car then yes it most likely would not have gone this far. And my finances probably would not have afforded a better car. However I believe the universe has higher plans for me and I certainly have higher plans for myself. I shocked my family by being the first to graduate university with the engineering degree, even after the almighty crap schooling that I had had as a child. And it was suggested by some people as I left university that I should consider going higher. My project supervisor suggested I get some industry knowledge first.

Sorry, I digress. There were so many factors around the saga and while the saga was ongoing I had other issues to deal with, even to the point where my mental health had dropped considerably and I was very close to suicide twice last year.

They say that you only go through these experiences in order to make you stronger mentally for what you have set yourself for your future to be and I truly believe that is what has happened. Because even though my family background was not good once you get a taste of being with other people and you like being around more intelligent people you kind of want more of the same.

She only has now 5 small things left to get done. Two brake system’s front, one suspension arm, one headlight leveller, and that’s it. So compared to what I have done so far and yes I am a very stubborn, determined, ambitious git, I’ve got this far so I DO need to finish now to then be able to get more better paid work, move house (which I wanted for over 10 years now) and get my whole life in order after messing up one 10 year relationship and planning on my next move (?!!). And with the fact I have pushed and challenged myself this far with learning about my car I actually DO want to learn more about Mercedes-Benz cars and learn as much as I possibly can so that in future A. I can carry on fixing this car and my future Mercedes-Benz cars, B. save on the prices that some garages charge and I will know the rough cost if there is something that I feel I am either not capable of or I am not able due to other circumstances to do.

And now I feel I have answered most questions thus far. I have been at home in Gosport so not during this week been able to work on her. Ideally I would like to work on her closer to home, currently I can’t however I am looking into somewhere I could work on her off road as I do not have any off road parking sadly.

I could go on into my life story of cars, F1 etc, however I have been summoned back to Hedge End as it is Valentines Day today (Oh well!!!, although she has let me use her driveway for this past 9 months I guess.).

So there you have it, and another update will appear shortly when she passes the Mot. :-D

That's some story, for sure!!! I always admire some one who instead of feeling sorry for himself, and that the world owe's him a living, get's up and does something about it. Well done !!!

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
That's some story, for sure!!! I always admire some one who instead of feeling sorry for himself, and that the world owe's him a living, get's up and does something about it. Well done !!!

Thank you. Guess my childhood wasn't all bad then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
How come I'm not getting notifications on my new post about satnav software?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
How come I'm not getting notifications on my new post about satnav software?

Because nobody who replied copied in any of your posts first

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
I received yesterday two new brake hoses and two new brake callipers. I had to ask two military veteran's charities for financial help to buy food and basics so that my invalidity pension could be used to buy them. Only issue now is that the Covid19 virus is now stopping me from going near or in my girlfriend's house. Not impressed. However I am Still determined to have the merc finished before the end of March.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I received yesterday two new brake hoses and two new brake callipers. I had to ask two military veteran's charities for financial help to buy food and basics so that my invalidity pension could be used to buy them. Only issue now is that the Covid19 virus is now stopping me from going near or in my girlfriend's house. Not impressed. However I am Still determined to have the merc finished before the end of March.

Covid-19 shouldn't stop you too much.
Social distancing only means you stay 6 feet from anyone else and when coming from outdoors remove potentially contaminated clothing and leave in a designated place before washing hands. Obviously don't touch any light switches etc before hands are cleaned and wipe anything you do touch with surface cleaner.
The biggest risk is inside a vehicle, but if you have a bicycle....

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Covid-19 shouldn't stop you too much.
Social distancing only means you stay 6 feet from anyone else and when coming from outdoors remove potentially contaminated clothing and leave in a designated place before washing hands. Obviously don't touch any light switches etc before hands are cleaned and wipe anything you do touch with surface cleaner.
The biggest risk is inside a vehicle, but if you have a bicycle....

Yes. True. Although now my girlfriend has stated I must not come into contact with her or her children because her parents are in a high risk category. However that 'Potentially' would not have stopped me until today when we are now being asked to 'STAY INDOORS OR WE LOCKDOWN' from the government. And unfortunately my girlfriend lives about 45 ish miles away. So the only way to get there in a day and back would be public transport or bike. If I had mine here. These are challenging times currently.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
It's Wednesday 6th of May 2020.
I have everything now to complete the brake system now.
The car is still in hedge end however my plan now is to get my car back home and hidden away.
I can then finish off those little repairs and get that 'Very Overdue' Mot.

Just need a bit of cash for the low loader and a local rental van.
(Namaste)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
It's Wednesday 6th of May 2020.
I have everything now to complete the brake system now.
The car is still in hedge end however my plan now is to get my car back home and hidden away.
I can then finish off those little repairs and get that 'Very Overdue' Mot.

Just need a bit of cash for the low loader and a local rental van.
(Namaste)

You could now drive without an MOT until October as part of a lockdown mot extension ? Might be worth checking this though as yours is a previous failure

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
You could now drive without an MOT until October as part of a lockdown mot extension ? Might be worth checking this though as yours is a previous failure

I think the car had to have a valid MOT before the lockdown?

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes

Mmmmm okay. Yes will do

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Just a thought but you might find that the Police have their ANPR switched off for MOT, (not an actual Traffic Offence anyway) or they will be getting warnings like crazy because of the False Positives...???
Just book an MOT at a local to your house garage then drive it home... (cancel the MOT after you get home)...

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Is the car capable of driving 45 miles though, I was under the impression it was still in pieces? If it does drive cycle over there one day get your girlfriend to leave the keys next to the car and then you can drive it home without risking infecting her or her parents. I doubt the police will be worried about MOTs at present and for suchy one-offs I think you have to be pragmatic - it's 0 points and 100 pounds fine anyway so likely less than the delivery charge. That said presumably the battery is flat if it's been sat there for months?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom