The saga is almost over - 2005, C220 CDI Classic SE, S203.208 (Estate), OM646.963 Engine

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
If you can't get into the car, the bonnet release cable runs from the cabin to the OS catch first then across the top of the bonnet slam panel on to the NS catch so take your front underside engine shield off and reach up to grab the cable and give it a tug!

I cannot get that off because the last two bolts are covered by the bonnet and my basic tools can't even reach in that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
I can feel from underneath as far up as the spring and i can feel cable's and I think I can feel the latch. Trouble now is what do i pull and inn which direction?
I.E. I really Need those diagrams if anyone has them,.....please?!!

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
If you can't get into the car, the bonnet release cable runs from the cabin to the OS catch first then across the top of the bonnet slam panel on to the NS catch so take your front underside engine shield off and reach up to grab the cable and give it a tug!

Which cable and which way? I can now from underneath feel a metal cable but I don't know which way to pull it.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I cannot get that off because the last two bolts are covered by the bonnet and my basic tools can't even reach in that far.

Pull away from the catch! or...
Take more underside panels off to reveal access to your starter motor, connect -ve to chassis and touch a 12vdc supply to the permanent live contact on your starter and with your free hand unlock your car with your remote.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Okay. New update.
Finally got my bonnet open with what I believe to be a very easy solution.
I removed the OSF wheel covering that covers over the lights and fog lights to expose the small black box that contains a splitter for the bonnet catches. I very carefully prised off the cover and just pulled the mechanism very carefully towards the direction of the inside of the car and as the other end was connected to both bonnet hooks that lovely 'clunk' sound when you know the bonnet finally opens was heard.

Trouble was, that then uncovered the fact that my car battery plus the filter cover had been stolen somehow and thus why the car had locked itself.

So, now I need a new sodding battery, filter cover, and new bonnet hydraulic bit as whomever stole the battery has now bent that side's bonnet strut. Not happy now at all!!!!!

And the next part is to get the inside open next. I remembered that I had a very old battery charger/supply that plugs into the mains.
However without a battery in there what is likely to happen when it's connected to the loose battery terminals? I.E. will it simply supply 12 Volts to the 12V car electronics or would it do any damage at all?
All I need to do is get the doors unlocked, to get into the car, take my ex's tools out and give them back to her, load up the back of the car with all my car thing's from her garage and then tell the low loader family that she's ready to be picked up finally and moved to Gosport.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I wouldn't be connecting a charger as there's nothing to charge and who knows what voltage it will be outputting...

With jump leads and another battery connect to the existing battery connections - ensuring that they're isolated from any bodywork. You should then be able to access the interior with the keyfob.

If you have the key though you should just be able to undo the mechanical lock on the drivers door.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
I wouldn't be connecting a charger as there's nothing to charge and who knows what voltage it will be outputting...

With jump leads and another battery connect to the existing battery connections - ensuring that they're isolated from any bodywork. You should then be able to access the interior with the keyfob.

If you have the key though you should just be able to undo the mechanical lock on the drivers door.

Only 12 Volts surely as it has a 6V/12V switch on the front of it.

Yes, I should be able to if I had mine still. The skeleton key has also gone 'missing'. So that's currently a no can do yet.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Only 12 Volts surely as it has a 6V/12V switch on the front of it.

Yes, I should be able to if I had mine still. The skeleton key has also gone 'missing'. So that's currently a no can do yet.
NO! the 6v 12V denote the battery it is made to charge, not the output voltage, no load voltage could, and will be much higher.

Most alternators charge at 14.8v for a 12v System

Just connect a 12 v battery from any car with jump leads - I wouldn't even have the donor battery car running.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
NO! the 6v 12V denote the battery it is made to charge, not the output voltage, no load voltage could, and will be much higher.

Most alternators charge at 14.8v for a 12v System

Just connect a 12 v battery from any car with jump leads - I wouldn't even have the donor battery car running.

Okay. My apologies. Brains not been in gear properly recently.
Yes of course. Use a donor battery to get the locks opened. Of course!!!

Any recommendations as to where to get the new battery from? I hope the scum bags drop it on their foot !!! Bar stewards!!!

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Definitely would not connect a Battery Charger to a car without a Battery that's for sure! A booster Pack, yes.

Funnily enough. I do have one of those and that too has mysteriously 'disappeared'!!!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Okay. My apologies. Brains not been in gear properly recently.
Yes of course. Use a donor battery to get the locks opened. Of course!!!

Any recommendations as to where to get the new battery from? I hope the scum bags drop it on their foot !!! Bar stewards!!!

ECP on one of their deals, probably pick the cheapest one available

However I wouldn't buy a battery until the other bits and pieces you still need to fix are fixed.
No point in throwing more £££ at it when you can do a lot of the work just for your time

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
****** hell, what a tale, i am so sorry for you.
Suggestion, go to a breakers, buy a battery off them for the scrap value, charge it, then use that to do the rest.
I would have thought they would sell you a half decent battery for under a tenner.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Last edited:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I know I have been in your corner since the beginning of this saga, with the issues you now find with this car I am now wondering if the time is right to give up on it.?
The brakes are still not fixed to my knowledge. It has no working key. It needs a new battery. Looking that the photos rust is becoming a big issue and it will need another MOT. Just these issues alone are the best part of £500. You could get a decent little runner with 12months MOT for that whilst saving for another Merc if that was your wish.

Send it to the scrappy, cut your losses and get something more suited to your needs Robbie.
Harsh but realistic.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Morning everyone,

Sadly the saga has now come to an end and my beloved Mercedes-Benz is going to the scrapyard this week.

I was told by 'her!' last month that my car needed removing immediately as she had some diggers coming in to move earth from the front to the back of her property.
So on 23/06/2021, I arranged for the low loader to get the car back to Gosport. On my arrival at her house, I asked for the rest of the items that were originally in her garage back so that I could put them in the back of the car. As I picked up the box of bits and started walking back towards the car I spotted something that didn't look right. There was a hole in the passenger side window and the window had been smashed in. I reacted and stopped in my tracks to which Jane said "what's up?!", I turned back to face her and said "look at the window!!", to which she replied, "when did that happen?" I replied, "I don't know Jane but you've got the ring.com so can easily find out!!" As we got closer there was a punch hole in the middle and glass on the seat inside (see photos) and once we had cleared the smashed glass from the window as it would be travelling on the low loader I happened to notice something else. Whoever had done the window had also used a crowbar to not only smash the window but also attempted to get into the car by each door plus the fuel cover. So I now had crowbar marks on every single door on the car. Anyway, I sank even further down into my pit of depression and once I got the car back to Gosport realised that I could no longer carry on and I had to scrap her. My beautiful Mercedes-Benz!!!

Oh and just one final point, a whole load of tools were stolen. 686f0809148d633529cd260101df06db.jpg f10b778329f72ed125dede71a371cb76.jpg 89d4a60b0f1b1a6850875e2ce67111df.jpg 5eb03bd4a67f87b9e0350f0383c4f820.jpg 37a8b2f8ed3f2a58ba6bd275af23aaad.jpg b08c51036bdef3c03a6e70a914688413.jpg 6e9cca1f23029420c959f9b6c54b7038.jpg 06f0c817bcfcdd56f124451009cdcdbb.jpg 7ea66235949fc6787b82e198c1d81d12.jpg

And yes I fully intend to buy another Mercedes-Benz, they are rock solid awesome cars.....

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom