The Value of an established relationship with a Dedicated MB Indie

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
In my case Ian of Star Motor Service, Caversham.

I had been prepping my R230 for a photoshoot (another story for another day) on Thursday morning 08 March 2018.
Fourteen hours spent preparing my car over Tuesday and Wednesday preceding the shoot……..my car is a "daily driver” so it was not a clean machine when put away Monday evening. I had cleaned the engine bay, washed and waxed the coach work, removed my winter wheels and tyres, cleaned and treated the wheel arch liners, cleaned and waxed the brake callipers, repainted the brake disc hubs with silver Hammerite and put on my summer wheels and tyres before waxing and dressing. I had started to thoroughly cleaned the interior and polish the glass. The time had come to lower the roof for ease of access for cleaning the inside of the car. This was about 16.00 hours or less than two working hours before I need to leave for the photoshoot Thursday morning.
"Bong" close the boot separator.......boot separator is closed. So I exercise the switches where the separator pegs engage......nothing......I do not have any contact stuff but I do have WD40 so fired some of that in and re-exercised the switches.......nothing. Panic......a photoshoot of an R230 with the roof fixed closed is not going to be received at all well with the daily rate for hire of the studio at £800.
Ring Ian......landline engaged.......ring mobile.......Ian try all of the above.......done that and no go. At this point I learn that there is only one switch (off side), near side merely being a locating home for the peg. OK you could undo the Torx screw to gain access.......no I could not......I do not have a Torx drive......I do not do DIY. I'll ring you back.
Ian rings me back and suggests that I might gain access to the connecting pin to the switch if I remove the hard plastic access panel off side of the switch and below the rear light cluster. Cover off.......try disconnecting the connector and reconnecting........could be a poor contact. Did that......nothing.......at which point Ian is remembering that I had recently had, amongst other items, the rear bumper resprayed and speculating upon the contact of the TWO pin connector.......two pin? The one I have disconnected and reconnected was probably six or more.......no you plonker (or words to that effect) that is the connector for the light cluster, there should be a cable running inboard of that to the switch. Nope cannot find any such cable but after a further fumbling around I find said cable tucked away with a two pin connector on the end........clearly this should be connected to something, but what? Obviously the bodyshop through ignorance or idleness or carelessness had not remade the connection but I cannot find where to connect........Ian I will ring you back after I have done further investigation.......OK but "don't force anything" ringing in my ears.......oh great.
Anyway now I am with torch in the boot with my head jammed against the off side rear quarter trying to identify where this two pin connector might possibly find a home.......cannot see anything so revert to feeling for any king of orifice that might take the connector......I am now very uncomfortable but then I find a tiny "hole" and try offering up the connector followed by a reassuring click. Bingo......all is well and the roof works once more. Ring Ian, thank him for his time and patience and tell him that he is a genius.
The day was saved and the photoshoot went well but my point is that telephone diagnosis and resolution is not available from main dealers nor from casual crisis management callers to anyone. I got the help I needed because Ian and I have built a trusting and lasting relationship over a number of years. I like to think that I am a valued customer and that we have developed a mutually agreeable friendship.

Mic

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Hi Mic, I have a similar relationship with SPR Autos in Stockport. They are worth their weight in AMG brake disks.

Reactions: Mic

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
When you’re finished Mic can you pop over and give my CL some attention please? ;) :D

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
Photos of the photoshoot please. Did you get your hair cut especially?? Have you got a new career as a glamour model??

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
In my case Ian of Star Motor Service, Caversham.

I had been prepping my R230 for a photoshoot (another story for another day) on Thursday morning 08 March 2018.
Fourteen hours spent preparing my car over Tuesday and Wednesday preceding the shoot……..my car is a "daily driver” so it was not a clean machine when put away Monday evening. I had cleaned the engine bay, washed and waxed the coach work, removed my winter wheels and tyres, cleaned and treated the wheel arch liners, cleaned and waxed the brake callipers, repainted the brake disc hubs with silver Hammerite and put on my summer wheels and tyres before waxing and dressing. I had started to thoroughly cleaned the interior and polish the glass. The time had come to lower the roof for ease of access for cleaning the inside of the car. This was about 16.00 hours or less than two working hours before I need to leave for the photoshoot Thursday morning.
"Bong" close the boot separator.......boot separator is closed. So I exercise the switches where the separator pegs engage......nothing......I do not have any contact stuff but I do have WD40 so fired some of that in and re-exercised the switches.......nothing. Panic......a photoshoot of an R230 with the roof fixed closed is not going to be received at all well with the daily rate for hire of the studio at £800.
Ring Ian......landline engaged.......ring mobile.......Ian try all of the above.......done that and no go. At this point I learn that there is only one switch (off side), near side merely being a locating home for the peg. OK you could undo the Torx screw to gain access.......no I could not......I do not have a Torx drive......I do not do DIY. I'll ring you back.
Ian rings me back and suggests that I might gain access to the connecting pin to the switch if I remove the hard plastic access panel off side of the switch and below the rear light cluster. Cover off.......try disconnecting the connector and reconnecting........could be a poor contact. Did that......nothing.......at which point Ian is remembering that I had recently had, amongst other items, the rear bumper resprayed and speculating upon the contact of the TWO pin connector.......two pin? The one I have disconnected and reconnected was probably six or more.......no you plonker (or words to that effect) that is the connector for the light cluster, there should be a cable running inboard of that to the switch. Nope cannot find any such cable but after a further fumbling around I find said cable tucked away with a two pin connector on the end........clearly this should be connected to something, but what? Obviously the bodyshop through ignorance or idleness or carelessness had not remade the connection but I cannot find where to connect........Ian I will ring you back after I have done further investigation.......OK but "don't force anything" ringing in my ears.......oh great.
Anyway now I am with torch in the boot with my head jammed against the off side rear quarter trying to identify where this two pin connector might possibly find a home.......cannot see anything so revert to feeling for any king of orifice that might take the connector......I am now very uncomfortable but then I find a tiny "hole" and try offering up the connector followed by a reassuring click. Bingo......all is well and the roof works once more. Ring Ian, thank him for his time and patience and tell him that he is a genius.
The day was saved and the photoshoot went well but my point is that telephone diagnosis and resolution is not available from main dealers nor from casual crisis management callers to anyone. I got the help I needed because Ian and I have built a trusting and lasting relationship over a number of years. I like to think that I am a valued customer and that we have developed a mutually agreeable friendship.

Mic

Thanks for kind words Mic, always here to help if and when needed. Glad the shoot went well, look forward to the pics but I won’t show the Mrs, as she’ll ask for her car to gleam like yours.

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
Totally agree Mic, Terry and Jamie at @WG M-B have helped me out last minute at times, and were especially helpful last month when we had issues galore with my W202... Honest decent MB indy are indeed worth their weight in AMG brake discs!

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 Avantgarde 2000
Any time I've been stuck my long term Indis always says "bring it in". He's always been a man of few words.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom