The W126 restoration thread

ben12345

Reaction score
I wish I'd have taken pictures of everything i've done to my W126.

Here's a vague before and after though:

953192557_b67596403d.jpg
4179362112_c5ab229c92.jpg

I think the only bits from the body that I havent actually painted after repairing or replacement is the roof and the back doors.

Mechanically, the only bits original are the rear subframe/diff/driveshafts and the automatic transmission!

Even the interior I have changed for electrically adjustable leather from the original corded velour.

I really dread to think how much time I have in this car in the 5 or so years I've owned it, and it still isn't finished!

All as I need is a wealthy arab to offer me lots of money for it and i'll be happy!

Tashman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W123-300D, W123-240D, 507D campervan, W210-E220CDI, W114-250
Looks like you have a long wheel base SEC - very cool. Does the SEC front end go on easily? Do you just need an SEC bonnet?

ben12345

Reaction score
Looks like you have a long wheel base SEC

Lol, thats one way to describe it, i'll need to remember that!

No, it doesn't go on easily... the basic parts you need are the front outer wings, bonnet, bumper, headlights, indicators etc and also the slam panel/crossmember at the front.

521827331_0bef168887_o.jpg

I also cut some of the inner wing from the donor car, because my original one was rotten. This is a picture of the 'new' piece being offered up to my car.

Last edited:

ben12345

Reaction score
Sorry about the quality, but here's one without the bumper in place. You can also see the lower radiator support missing, and also the crossmember which the bumper attaches to.

4350427653_bfc77a40ec.jpg

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Well done Ben - and its on LPG - fantastic.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Sorry about the quality, but here's one without the bumper in place. You can also see the lower radiator support missing, and also the crossmember which the bumper attaches to.

4350427653_bfc77a40ec.jpg

Sure makes changing the fan belt easy :)

ben12345

Reaction score
By the looks of it, it should be on life support

Lol, That was about three years ago... but I know what you mean, it was quite a big job. I did uncover a fair bit of rot at the front end. I was lucky to have a donor car with a rust free front end to steal from.

I must have got something right as the car flew through it's MOT after i'd finished the work.

A couple of pictures of the new parts welded in and one of the sad donor car that was once a 1987 560 SEC. Don't worry though, the 560 had been rear ended.

4356439409_1fd631251b.jpg

4356438277_3fb5e55b16.jpg

4357212948_6f327d1fa6_b.jpg

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2cv6.
Hey Ben. Lovely car. Did you change your seats from manual to electric? I'm curious as i'm halfway through trying the same. Ian.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I always loved welding in those inner wing chassis sections, but alas it doesnt seem to happen these days, unless in the restoration game..

ben12345

Reaction score
Hey Ben. Lovely car. Did you change your seats from manual to electric? I'm curious as i'm halfway through trying the same. Ian.

Yes, it was a bit of a pain though!

I had a set of leather manual seats and removed the leather coverings.

Electric seat bases were sourced and the springs were replaced as needed. The leather covers were then reinstalled.

The looms for the wiring, I took from one of the parts cars I had at the time, and fed it all back through where it goes. The nice thing about Mercedes of this era, is that every electrical optional extra has it's own seperate wiring loom! I already had the dashboard out of the car, so the wiring was much easier.

The wood trim and switches, I got from a nice man in the US. Its quite rare to find an unbroken set of switches, but I think I paid something like $50 with the different wood trim included, so I was happy.

I did also have a heated seat kit, but stupid me forgot I had it until everything was reinstalled!

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wow thats pretty dedicated! Well done. And you removed the covers. I was tempted to do that with mine. But i've got the whole donor car so i decided to give it a go & swap the lot. I could have changed the covers on the seats, and kept manual seats, & the covers are really nice so that was an option.
But I have a whole donor car with working electric seats and heaters in them, so i decided to give it a go.

The seats are in but not wired yet. I've excavated a good deal of the looms - the door looms are out and the bits that run through the centre console very nearly free. (Yeah, isnt it great being able to pull out the wiring seperately!) The bit that scares me most is the bit in the dash, but if i get out all the useful wiring i found a stereo shop who said they'll hook it up with the ignition, so to me thats the worst bit. Cant wait. Fingers crossed.. :)

Are the dashboard and centre console easy to remove then?

ben12345

Reaction score
I've had my dashboard out three times now for various reasons, and still, its a job I like to avoid!

I have a document on it if you need it, but its not very clear. I worked it out the hard way originally.

With regards to hooking it up to the power eventually, its quite easy.... the wires are fed through the bulkhead into the fuse box, and they are connected underneath the fuse panel just on ring terminals!

Changing the covers on the seats wasn't too bad. It took me a while on the first one, because I didn't want to damage the leather, but once I did the second one, I'd learned what worked and what didn't so it took a fraction of the time.

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've gone off the idea of changing the dash. But i'll shout you if i get any inspiration, thanks. :)

How did you re-thread the door loom back into where its supposed to go through the pillars? I was thinking tieing string to it but its a bit of a tangle in there..

ben12345

Reaction score
I can't remember exactly how, but I don't remember that it was a particular problem.

I do remember that I pulled all wires from the door and threaded them all through as one.

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All done. I have electric seats! And a warm heated bottom. Its all i've done for the last few weeks. Poor spares car looks a bit sorry inside now. Really pleased to have finished though. :)

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
My W126 generated a lot of interest when it went up for sale. It was one of the nicer ones for sale on the web at the time. Those that are "mint" seemed to be up for sale for unrealistic mega bucks.
It fetched well over double what i paid for it, and aside from the labour to sort it out, the financial outlay wasn't that much on my part. Pleased my wife no end, as it paid for the dining room to be decorated.
If you were wondering why i haven't been on much lately, its because i bought (on a whim i might add) a..... BMW :shock:
Lots of restoration on that as well. Mechanical more than body though. Thats for sale at the moment, and i shall be happily joining the three pointed star brand again very shortly. :cool:

If you are interested the BMW is on the Bay, item 150442760749
Got 70 watchers so far!

Stedan 126

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1990 126 500SE, 2013 Harley Fat Bob
What an insperation Octanejunkie.

My wings are nowhere as bad as yours originally were and i had thought of replacing with aftermarket ones.
As my paint everywhere else is in great order, it would seem a shame to try and line up copy wings and apply paint.

I will definitely remove the wings and get my pal busy with the welder.

Thank you very much for sharing.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom