The weird and wonderful world of car insurance...

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Just had the renewal quote for my Chrysler 300C - £221.99 with Lloyds TSB.

As I do every year, I checked the comparison websites for cheaper alternatives.

Cheapest I can find for exactly the same cover is £185.92.

Ring Lloyds TSB and ask if they can match the quote I've found on the internet?

"Sorry, no - we've quoted you the cheapest we can find from our underwriters. Who is quoting you £185.92?"

"Lloyds TSB!"

So, if instead of renewing with Lloyds TSB, I take out a new policy with Lloyds TSB for the same car, same cover, same excesses, with the same underwriters, I save over £36.

Guess who I'm going with..... :confused::D

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Always worth checking those that don't work with comparison sites.

I've just accepted a quote from Direct Line - SL63 - comp, protected NCD, legal protection, hire car, no cost cover on loan car if mine is being serviced etc etc - £299 :shock:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Direct Line have always been the cheapish for me..

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
You do need to check what addons you are getting on comparison sites, most cases they quote you for a basic insurance policy , which means that you could be caught our with things you have taken for granted..ie. driving other cars on third part cover, breakdown /recovery etc..

phils

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E220d AMG-line premium estate (S213)
I recently swapped my 2002 C270 for a 2010 C250CGI Sport estate. Before doing so, I rang LV to ask for a renewal quote (due to renew a month later).

They quoted £220, which was slightly cheaper than previous year for the C270. I got a quote from the broker many forum users use, but they couldn't get anywhere near.

I changed over the current policy but when the renewal came in, it was for £319! On chasing up LV, they then re-quoted as a new policy (rather than rolling over the existing) and got it back down to £219. The games they play!!

Phil

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Be happy...if they didn't play these games you would have paid more than you ended up with.

There is a certain amount of inertia which means that many people will merely renew without seeking a lower premium. These people subsidise the cheaper premiums many have found by shopping around.

H

HBK

C63 (2012) with 7yrs No claim and comes to £575 with Dial Direct.

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
C63 (2012) with 7yrs No claim and comes to £575 with Dial Direct.

Probably because you live in London

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI BlueEff SE, 7G auto, estate (S212), 2012
My financial adviser tells me (in the context of home insurance, not motor, but probably the same applies here) that insurance companies offer relatively attractive premiums to new customers to reel them in, and then gradually raise their prices because they know most people (myself included - been with the same motor insurance provider for 10+ years!) are either too dumb to notice or too lazy to do anything about it. This would explain why antijam and phils got cheaper quotes as 'new' rather than existing customers.

Top Bottom