The "why didnt I do it before?" thread

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
I have a couple to enter here..

Today I just changed the thernostat on my C240 which has been running at 65-70c for a year, cost £18 and took 10 minutes now runs at 85c.....

Also, previously...

Since I bought the car it clonked and rattled badly when driving along anything other than a perfect road (but always passed MOT's), then after 2.5 years I though i'd stick some new (second hand) shocks in all corners, free and an hours work.. transformed and silent, the rubber around the bottom mounting bolts was allowing about 1mm movement.

Also, the drivers window would always go lop-sided on the way up and require manual assistance to close, door card off and a quick adjustement, took 10 minutes, now works perfectly, again, I waited 2.5 years before getting around to doing this aswell.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Very good, but you did leave it all a long time :D With some jobs it is just a mind over matter to get stuck in, I am the same, but waiting for the better weather:D

davidsw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XKR ,Jaguar S-Type, Porsche Boxster S
Best not to rush into things !!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
When I have a few things to do,, and I have not been there before I use my sleeping to go through and do the work, wake up in the morning and do it, there is a down side, that is why is it always the last screw that snaps off or will not come out

OP
robparker

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
yea! its usually fun when you actually get around to doing stuff.
I also had to change a coil pack the other day, but that was easy to be motivated for as it was running on 5-cylinders, the other things gave annoying symptoms but ones that I could say "i'll do it tomorrow" with!

MechPhil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'87 260E
It's a "mechanic's car" thing...

My 260E made a terrible clunking noise from the left front wheel when engaging reverse while holding the footbrake. It turned out to be a duff balljoint, but I drove it like that (and balljoints can be dangerous) for 6 months. Did it the other day, and while I was at it, stripped the steering bix down to get rid of end float in the thrust bearings. Also fitted a kickpanel that was never fitted after the rebuild, and sorted out an oil leak from the timing cover, and had the rear silencer replaced.

That was a lot of money, and a lot of time (those balljoints can be pesky, and of course you strip half the engine to get to the timing cover...) but it still elicited the "I should have done that ages ago" feeling.

Top Bottom