The yoof of today....

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
well I'm not as young as i want to be

but i remember yoof on the rampage when i was a kid as well. They didn't have crack cocaine and guns, but they got up to plenty of trouble.

remember Doc's red army, following man u about and trashing everywhere they went. Quite a few of those nutcases/high-spirited types/misunderstood little lambs went to my school, and they were pretty disruptive there as well. always in detention, or on suspension, or expelled. From what i have heard, their adult lives didn't go any better.

Not a new phenomenon. And before you all shoot me down, I went to a very good school. There were others in the town which were way, way worse.

Sorry about your car though Steve, it's never fun. perhaps this is why i always fly to glasgow?

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Everybody says we're getting more like the States so let us have the right to bear arms. That'll stop 'em (probably half way through damaging your car)

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
. When I was little, I would be in bed that time, or if not, I'd be with a parent/relative/family friend who would have not allowed me to do something like that. These kids roam free doing what they like.

Looks like you were in bed early on this ocassion as well :p:p

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
The reason this countries in this mess is that you are no longer allowed to give your kids a clip round the ear and send them to bed without there tea if they misbehave ,Teachers are no longer allowed to use the slipper or the cane nor is the local bobby allowed to lift little johnny by lughole and march him round to his parents for the said clip round the ear .

I was no angel and it never did me any harm , I only ever did something wrong once and never did it a second time for fear of the consequences .

Now everbodys living in fear of the little bast#### I mean darlings.

Old school maybe , but it was a good school and it taught respect .

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
It didn't do you any harm

because you probably weren't that bad Quickie.
Some of the lads I'm talking about still send a cold shiver down my spine, and I'm a grown man now. They were thoroughly hard cases, and the headmaster, their own parents ( who must have been at the end of their tethers) the bobbies, the beak, none of it scared them.Public humiliation, corporla punishment, time inside, all badge of honour stuff to them.
Now of course, they'd have a pistol and "ho" and all the modern accessories, but it's still the same numpties underneath.
a lot of people just aren't interested in civilised society. History does keep repeating itself.
and if we weed them out, others drift in to take their places.
i blame Richard Dawkins and his selfish gene theory.
Rant over.
Nice weather at the weekend wasn't it.

oceanblue1

Reaction score
OK, this is an old thread but I need to vent as I have just experience some "aggro" from another bunch of yoofs. What I can't ****** understand is why youth vandalism and general anti-social behaviours doesn't seem to happen at all in the Far East.

Sure, they have their triads and criminals. But never a youth problem. It seem their crime is much more "organised". Respect to elders carry over in criminal networks.

I was told that in Hong Kong, if a triad was to steal or knock over an old granny, he is gonna get laugh at and very harshly treated by his fellows.

The most I have seen from youth over there is stealing but never actual verbal abuse or threat of violence.

Comparing countries, I get the sense that all all the cause of this from so called experts does not hold water:

1. Too much poverty - Children in the Far East are way way poorer

2. Lack of social facilities or poor housing conditions - Its a tightly packed concrete jungle in Hong Kong & Japan; you ain't gonna see a park for miles. And the apartments are so tiny its quite inhuman.

3. Lack of education from school or parents - Most Asian parents have to both work exceedingly long hours. Kids at a very young age is usually left at home. Education is usally expensive and the poor simply cannot afford it.

4. Breakdown of family unit - Asian parents are rarely home and child minders cannot usually be afforded.

The only difference I can see between East and West is that there are less single parent families and corporal punishment is allowed.

Maybe all these social experts need to rethink what they believe.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Children living in poverty

there is an item in today's media about "children living in poverty" in the UK.

Always one to focus on the needs of those who suffer disadvantage, I read further to discover that the definition of their plight included, "insufficient money to celebrate a birthday".

IIRC living in poverty where I came from included no piped water, mains services or flushing facilities! I thought electric lights were magic when I was introduced to them.

The "yoof of today" clearly have a very hard and distressing time, which obviously explains and justifies their behaviour.

Well, it could have been a whole lot worse, and that was in the UK and well within a working lifetime!

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
most yoof of today are far more better off than we ever were-what about the poverty in UK during and after the war - rationing - playing on bomb sites-no xmas or birthday presents - and if you did get anything it was just a gesture-parents couldn't afford anything lavish. All a lack of total respect i think is a lot of the problem and no discipline-get fed up hearing about yoof vandalism because they are bored -they have more than we did when we were kids but we respected ourselves and other people and their property.

mbenz76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Sport Saloon - Obsidian Black with Black Leather
Broken Britain!

There have always been problems with yoofs - the difference is we now live in a society where being on the dole and lacking ambition is an aspiration for a lot. Sit back and blame society. Kids don't go to school, you can sue the school for not making them go. If they hang around on corners and cause problems for residents then it is because there is nothing for them to do.

Now I am only in my mid-30's, so not very old I guess, but this just didn't happen when I was young. When I was <10 we were probably classed as poor, but by God did my family work - if we couldn't afford then we didn't have, and if we needed it then more work was the order of the day. When I was a teenager I didn't hang around causing problems, no one I knew did - we found something to do to keep us busy. And we would never have dreamed of stealing or vandalising someone elses property.

I am sick and tired of the do-gooding liberals making excuses for youth problems. I have no doubt that it is a minority, but it is like a disease that seems to be spreading. Unless it is kicked into touch quickly then I really worry for the future.

And if someone gives me the "human rights" line, then I'd like to know who is looking after my human rights not to have my property stolen or damaged. Oh yes, I remember, no one but myself in good old Broken Britain.

Let's hope May brings an change in party at Number 10 and that they can undo the years of abuse by the current regime and reverse this mess. We must be the laughing stock of the civilised world.

oceanblue1

Reaction score
Yes Lizzy, good point about another so called expert reason is "boredom" because of lack of youth facilites!

WHat about their Xbox, PS3, nike trainers, free illegal ipod music download and pirated films - most I ever got was a clip around the ear :)

The thing is alot of these stuff are essentially free to them as we never could pirate copyright materials so easily like they can nowadays.

I am defintely leaning towards the lack of or threat of physical punishment as the cause. In life, you need both carrots and sticks.

Without the threat of prison, do you think we will have less criminals even if we give them free goodies, better social facilities or an even easier life.

And totally agree with mbenz76. Everything needs a balance and the left wing liberals, in their good intention, have probably contribute more to ruining these kids' life.

Last edited:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
In life, you need both carrots and sticks.

You are so right, but:

if you don't have a carrot, the stick will not work

if you have both a carrot and a stick, use the stick first.

Sadly, I fear our younger generation have been weaned on the carrot and are therefore wholly incapable of rising to a challenge, or external threat the way the youth of the land did in 1924 and 1939.

I just hope the baddies don't work that one out!

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
Funny seeing my OP there. Was right at the start of when I started seeing a certain Lady. We are now through, in all such a short space of time. I did try to make things work with her, but alas typical of my generation, it was to no avail.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
another one bites the dust, eh Steve? look on the bright side though, meant you can spend the money you would have spent on her, on yourself or save it towards another car!

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
another one bites the dust, eh Steve? look on the bright side though, meant you can spend the money you would have spent on her, on yourself or save it towards another car!

Aye, bit the dust on new year. They never seem to last long, this one had the cheeky to say she didnt like a Mercedes....

I have these thoughts Pete of a V6 320 CDi Sport with COMAND, leather and its much closer to reach as I am saving about £100-£200 in fuel and associated costs even though she was a miserable shi** that never wanted to do much.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
you lucky bu**er! im reduced to a matchbox car and youre thinking of an upgrade!!!! still, mine will out corner any merc ive ever driven (its not all bad!) and its never let me down, so far at least! hoping i may have a more reliable job in the pipeline, if my mate can sort it for me. good luck with the savings. hopefully i can get to another gtg for the crack soon!

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
you lucky bu**er! im reduced to a matchbox car and youre thinking of an upgrade!!!! still, mine will out corner any merc ive ever driven (its not all bad!) and its never let me down, so far at least! hoping i may have a more reliable job in the pipeline, if my mate can sort it for me. good luck with the savings. hopefully i can get to another gtg for the crack soon!

Aye, defo pop along to the GTGs. MB tech should have one in Warrington again, that was a good day out.

The Pumas have a nice handling, but I like my big barges. I drove a 204 C class with the V6 engine and that shifted, and handled. Wonderful but not so nice inside, a 211 handles nice but so comfy and refined.

The hunt isnt one, but its in the pipeline. Now Sharron is no more, I need a new buzz...

Good luck with the job hunt, hope it goes well for you...

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
Aye, bit the dust on new year. They never seem to last long, this one had the cheeky to say she didnt like a Mercedes....

I have these thoughts Pete of a V6 320 CDi Sport with COMAND, leather and its much closer to reach as I am saving about £100-£200 in fuel and associated costs even though she was a miserable shi** that never wanted to do much.

well she was lying so your'e better off without:rolleyes:

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
well she was lying so your'e better off without:rolleyes:

Oh I know that, I was so good to that ungrateful girl and everything I did was just thrown back in my face. Her loss, not mine.

However, the relationship I have with my own car gets better and better, it uses less fuel, moves faster.

I still want a V6 though....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I cant remember if I have had more girl friends than cars 468 cars makes it a close call,,but i never counted the girl friends

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom