There's a mouse living in my dash (not exactly)

nialler

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Year 2000 W220 S320 petrol

Funny issue has arisen after a recent trip to the munster v sale magners league game, when arriving home there was a funny noise coming from left side of dash, I've narrowed it down when I removed the glove compartment and took out the two filters there's a fan at the back which I presume is something to do with the aircon but it's making a squeeking noise, this noise continues even when the car is off but does stop after 3 mins. I've today unsuccessfully tried wd40'ing it and silicone spraying it but no joy, is it a bearing issue or summat because I wouldn't have a bogs notion on how to remove or replace it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nialler

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
If it does turn out to be a mouse, there's a member on here who has ferrets that like roaming around cars...... :D

I don't own a coat

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
The fan is used to draw cabin air over a sensor behind the interior lamp, a tube passes down the A pillar to the fan.

Without this fan your heater will take ages to know that its hot, and even more ages to realise that its gone cold.

The fan assy is stuck together but maybe you could get a little light oil onto its motor spindle and cure it at least temporarily.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As wireman above by taking it out you can get the lubrication on the motor bearings. WD 40 is not oil.
If you want the info on how to remove it, I may be able to help

OP
N

nialler

Reaction score
Thanks malcolm, it seems to be lessening now, I'll leave it for a week or so and may come back to you. And now on to problem 3 that's just arisen, bad month for the car.

eGuru

Reaction score
Website
www.artguru.co.uk
Your Mercedes
C180 S204, S320 CDi
Have you had a problem with blocked drains on your car? When I had the problem with the drains water made its way into passenger footwell. This resulted in squeaking fans however the noise cleared up after a few weeks.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Methinks that the sensor aspirator would not get wet from blocked drains - unless the car was filled up to its gunnels. To get it out the glove box door and glove box need carefull removal. On my 124 the fan is enclosed in a sound proofing jacket tyraped to the body reinforcement bar.

The drains below the front screen do need to be cleared out occasionaly (on any car) since fallen leaves settle and degrade into a paste which can choke the drains, there are 3 drains above the scuttle on your car, one each side which exit beneath the wings and another on the centre line which exits above the transmission bell housing. The exits are flexible tubes flattened to prevent water splashing back up them, spoil collects just above the flatted part, massaging them will help shift any debris.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Good point wireman,, I have the info for the 107,123,124,126,201, and 140 printed off and I have sent out over 100 papers on this. I am trying to compile the info for all the other cars, that often mean that the front air intake has to be removed

OP
N

nialler

Reaction score
The blocked drains was one of the first issues I had heard about, so every time I open either the boot or the bonnet all debris is cleaned out, not a nice job but a necessary one. Thanks for the info guys. The noise seems to have abated somewhat so the bit of lubrication seems to have helped.

Now on to problem number 4, ****** passenger seat sensor looks to have gone again, only replaced it 2 years ago, when nobody sits in it I get the SRS light, soon as someone sits into it, all fine, error clears. grrrrr.

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom