Thinking of buying a late 2012 SL500 4.7 Biturbo

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
Hi all, finally looking to scratch that itch and buy my first ever V8 before I get too old to enjoy it.

I love my E350 CDI Coupe but it has to go.

I've seen an SL500 from a dealer, very low mileage of 25K, from pictures (I can't go and see it) it looks in fantastic condition and the interior is just plain beautiful with a burr walnut dash. I'm in love. Before I commit anything near to the £25K asking price are there any red flags I need to be aware of?

I believe that this is the R231 model.

Attachments

• SL6.jpg
    SL6.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 95
  • SL5.jpg
    SL5.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 94
  • SL4.jpg
    SL4.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 94
  • InkedSL1_LI.jpg
    InkedSL1_LI.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 92
  • InkedSL2_LI.jpg
    InkedSL2_LI.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 94
  • InkedSL3_LI.jpg
    InkedSL3_LI.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Post pics I had the r230 v12 bi-turbo. Think it very hard to beat c, capacity.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
From the pictures it looks lovely doesn't it :)

OP
L

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
Yes it does look beautiful, just wondering if there any known issues to be aware of. My 2012 E350 has never let me down or cost me anything other than servicing and consumables (tyres, pads etc). If this SL is similar build quality I'll be happy as a pig in muck.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
R231 is a beautiful thing indeed!
Roof and boot seals largely improved from the 230 I've heard (from @rorywquin who has a lovely example of the 400), your 500 will have ABC suspension, which was a bit well.....flawed shall we say. Again I hear the 231 is improved in that respect.
Engine and components bomb proof, and the interior is a great place to be. I see it has air scarf which is a great thing to have.
Any link so we can see the spec/extras?
OK one thing....I don't believe that V8 Bi Turbo badge(s) belongs on the boot lid (on front wings I think), and not sure if its a genuine badge either....minor point and easy fixed

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
HK Sound
AMG body pack
nice additions ....
looked more closely at the V8 Bi Turbo badge and definitely stuck on

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Hi all, finally looking to scratch that itch and buy my first ever V8 before I get too old to enjoy it.

I love my E350 CDI Coupe but it has to go.

I've seen an SL500 from a dealer, very low mileage of 25K, from pictures (I can't go and see it) it looks in fantastic condition and the interior is just plain beautiful with a burr walnut dash. I'm in love. Before I commit anything near to the £25K asking price are there any red flags I need to be aware of?

I believe that this is the R231 model.

Very nice.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
HK Sound
AMG body pack
nice additions ....

If you look at the advert that BC has posted the link to it definitely is an afterthought, it's wonky ! :eek:. Easily fixed :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
If you look at the advert that BC has posted the link to it definitely is an afterthought, it's wonky ! :eek:. Easily fixed :)
yeah , I did some sleuthing and found the dealer and saw that!

OP
L

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
HK Sound
AMG body pack
nice additions ....

Thanks for this. Me being a bit dumb about model variants, and because I'm considering buying this "sight unseen" that makes me a little nervous. Is there a chance that if the BiTurbo badge is a retro fit then the car may not be as described? Or pranged up the rear and the wrong badge fitted?

My son-in-law is in the trade and assures me that, esp now, internet buying is getting bigger and the buyer retains the right to say "thanks, but no thanks" when he finally sees the car - with a full refund. But I'd rather reduce my risk, obviously.

Thanks for the feedback.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks for this. Me being a bit dumb about model variants, and because I'm considering buying this "sight unseen" that makes me a little nervous. Is there a chance that if the BiTurbo badge is a retro fit then the car may not be as described? Or pranged up the rear and the wrong badge fitted?

My son-in-law is in the trade and assures me that, esp now, internet buying is getting bigger and the buyer retains the right to say "thanks, but no thanks" when he finally sees the car - with a full refund. But I'd rather reduce my risk, obviously.

Thanks for the feedback.
It is a Bi-turbo, the previous owner just wanted the great unwashed to know...:rolleyes:

Looks like a nice example. Just done a search on autotrader and there are some great SL500’s out there for very little folding.
By all accounts the 4.7ltr V8 is a great engine

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
It is a Bi-turbo, the previous owner just wanted the great unwashed to know...:rolleyes:

Looks like a nice example. Just done a search on autotrader and there are some great SL500’s out there for very little folding.
By all accounts the 4.7ltr V8 is a great engine
this! I checked the Total car detail on this one and it is genuine enough, just as you say someone has the idea the detail needs to be plastered all over the boot...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

Thanks for the feedback.
it's little to worry about IMO, just as BC says some folks are a little OTT on this stuff. My SL500 was badgeless for the opposite reason....I took the liberty of doing a quick Total car check against the reg and it seems to stack up as a decent motor.
you might find a slightly better equipped/optioned one if you kept looking not that there is much more to add really (maybe rear view camera, distronic and keyless go...some folks hate the latter to be honest).
I would check that the car still has a wind deflector supplied and insist if it doesn't

OP
L

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
it's little to worry about IMO, just as BC says some folks are a little OTT on this stuff. My SL500 was badgeless for the opposite reason....I took the liberty of doing a quick Total car check against the reg and it seems to stack up as a decent motor.
you might find a slightly better equipped/optioned one if you kept looking not that there is much more to add really (maybe rear view camera, distronic and keyless go...some folks hate the latter to be honest).
I would check that the car still has a wind deflector supplied and insist if it doesn't

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated. I think I might well go for it although my wife is already asking friends & family to place bets on how long before I lose my licence! I've pointed out that my last two speeding tickets were gained driving her MX-5 - what does she know.

BTW - here's the extras so it seems to have most of your suggestions:

Extra features
These are in addition to what this car typically comes with as standard:

• AMG Sports Package
  • Harman/Kardon LOGIC 7 Surround Sound System
  • Active Park Assist
  • 19" 5 Spoke AMG Alloy Wheels
  • Airscarf - Neck Level Heating
  • Wind Deflector - Electrically Operated
  • Reversing Camera
  • Ambient Lighting
  • Analogue Clock
  • Fuel Tank - Increased Capacity 75 Litres
  • Burr Walnut

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated. I think I might well go for it although my wife is already asking friends & family to place bets on how long before I lose my licence! I've pointed out that my last two speeding tickets were gained driving her MX-5 - what does she know.

BTW - here's the extras so it seems to have most of your suggestions:

Extra features
These are in addition to what this car typically comes with as standard:

• AMG Sports Package
  • Harman/Kardon LOGIC 7 Surround Sound System
  • Active Park Assist
  • 19" 5 Spoke AMG Alloy Wheels
  • Airscarf - Neck Level Heating
  • Wind Deflector - Electrically Operated
  • Reversing Camera
  • Ambient Lighting
  • Analogue Clock
  • Fuel Tank - Increased Capacity 75 Litres
  • Burr Walnut
Looks worth going for then!

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Does look like a nice car, but there's no way I'd be sending £25k to someone I don't know for a car I haven't seen. On a couple of occasions I've turned up to look at cars that have looked great in photos to find that they were total sheds. My advice would be not to do it. Anyway from today you can drive anywhere to get some exercise.;)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom