Thinking of buying a late 2012 SL500 4.7 Biturbo

OP
L

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018

Hi, apologies for the slow reply, I've been spending lockdown rebuilding my kitchen. Deep joy. Back to more interesting topics, I have considered both an E or C63. As per my initial post I'm scratching an itch re having a V8 but also re having a convertible for the first time. Being an old git of 65 I want to do this now whilst I still enjoy driving and have most of my marbles.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
Wish i had a kitchen that needed redoing , love doing kitchens & bathrooms , a V8 merc drop top is a more limited market depending on your budget , id have an S63 vert tommorow if i could warrant spending that amount on a car

OP
L

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
Better hurry up buddy :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know. Some would question my "got all my marbles" statement too....

I still enjoy the 1000 mile each way drive from Yorkshire to Provence and then once you're down here the small roads are fantastic being virtually empty (apart from the Summer hols when it's buzzing with loony Parisians).

OP
L

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
Yeah, I know. Some would question my "got all my marbles" statement too....

I still enjoy the 1000 mile each way drive from Yorkshire to Provence and then once you're down here the small roads are fantastic being virtually empty (apart from the Summer hols when it's buzzing with loony Parisians).

Don't know if you can resurrect a thread but I have a question for the knowledgeable on here. Still in France, but hoping to come back soon and buy my SL. Looking on Autotrader and it appears that around 2015 the 4.7 Biturbo was uprated from 435 to 449 BHP. However, the 0-60 went down a tad from 4.2 secs for the older 435 engine to 4.6 secs from the newer 449 engine.

So, my question is, is the earlier 435 BHP engine the one to go for (quicker 0-60) or is the newer engine a better bet. Or, are they both as good as each other and the difference in 0-60 almost irrelevant for "real World" driving. As always, I look forward to the responses!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I think it’s the same engine, just tweaked
Was the 9g gearbox fitted around that date maybe ?
For me personally I’d hold for the most recent incarnation you can really , circumstances depending

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
So, my question is, is the earlier 435 BHP engine the one to go for (quicker 0-60) or is the newer engine a better bet. Or, are they both as good as each other and the difference in 0-60 almost irrelevant for "real World" driving. As always, I look forward to the responses!

Nothing that a quick trip to GAD or MSL couldn't fix ;);););)

OP
L

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
I think it’s the same engine, just tweaked
Was the 9g gearbox fitted around that date maybe ?
For me personally I’d hold for the most recent incarnation you can really , circumstances depending

Thanks, it does open up a bigger selection of cars if I include the later 449 BHP car. Maybe the slight 0-60 drop is linked to the new 9g gearbox but it's such a slight difference it's not worth worrying about.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
These modern paints do look good and there are plenty of good waxes around to help it stay that way - something I’m currently persuading my son to do but he keeps asking me to wax his car something about me making a better job lol
Ceramics- in my case Gyeon MOHS (which is also on my i8)

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
These modern paints do look good and there are plenty of good waxes around to help it stay that way - something I’m currently persuading my son to do but he keeps asking me to wax his car something about me making a better job lol

Don't fall for that old chesnut. Tell him to roll his sleeves up and get polishing.:D

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone

I have two sons like yours Malcolm, both of whom have had their cars done by Pops during lockdown.
I even did Swmbos', as well as my own.
I enjoy detailing and love to bring a car back to looking it's best. :)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I have two sons like yours Malcolm, both of whom have had their cars done by Pops during lockdown.
I even did Swmbos', as well as my own.
I enjoy detailing and love to bring a car back to looking it's best. :)

Agreed Jim, it’s a real tonic in these uncertain times especially given the time to do it properly

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom