Thinking of buying a mk2 A-Class - things to look for?

tauran

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a mk2 A-class. I think that this is one of the best small, compact and practical cars around.

I'm very likely to go for the 1.5 Petrol (A150) or 2.0 Diesel (A160) engine specifically models made between 2006-2008 with 40-50K miles on the clock as these generally fit within my budget.

I understand that all A-class's do not have timing belts as they have chains so i guess that can be discounted.

Are there things that I should look for in these models?

I want to avoid any additional costs straight after buying if I can.

Regards
Tauran

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
I am on my second A Class and I agree with your assessment of their merits. First was 2007 A150 Classic SE petrol; second 2010 A160 Blue Efficiency Avantgarde petrol. Both manual.

I bought the 2nd because I had heard they were being discontinued,but also because there were extras I wanted. 1. Electric folding mirrors - standard mirrors don't even fold manually, for some reason. 2.Up-down and in-and-out steering wheel adjustment - standard just goes in and out IIRC. 3. Rear sidebags (extra protection for grandchildren).4. Parktronic (as you can't see the extremeties).

The only serious defect I have heard about is the door-bottom seams. They were crimped which led to rusting. New 'smooth' design was incorporated from
2007/8. Otherwise they have a reputation for being v reliable, unlike their predecessor.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom