Thinking of getting C Class for first Merc

Teebz64

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class
Hi all,

I am currently looking to buy a Mercedes for the first time, looking at 2006-2008 C Class usually with 60-100K miles. Are there any serious issues or reliability issues with these model years with these miles and what is running costs like including servicing and mpg?

Models im looking at are 180 Kompressor and C200 CDI

Budget is probably up to £5000-6000

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The 4 cylinder petrol engines of that era can have issues with timing sprockets and chains (which are costly to fix).
The diesels are pretty bombproof.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome, good car as LK says the diesel is probably the pick.
In saying that I had a 2006 180k with the 271 engine and personally had 15k untroubled miles in it, so it's your luck I guess

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Teebz64, Welcome to the forum. Had both and no problems with either albeit the diesel was a 220 rather than a 200 :)

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Welcome from me too as a fairly new member who joined to ask about buying a similar vehicle to the sort of thing you are seeking. Not really needing the rear seats much we bought a 2007 CLK 220CDI. We were happy to buy at higher miles than the range you mention as I have long experience of higher miles not really making a car less reliable.

Our CLK is basically the same as a C-class in all but trim and styling and we have the full history for it including all invoices so the details might be of interest to you.

We bought it at 114k mls and apart from routine services, tyres, brake pads/discs plus an aux drive belt it has not needed any parts or other repairs which is pretty good.

I have gone through an intensive mid-life check over together with the service I carried out a few weeks back. All I had to do over and above the service oils/filters was a replacement of water pump, thermostat, aux belt with its tensioner and idler pulleys plus an alternator clutch pulley. And this was somewhat nit-picking on my part as apart from the thermostat all the other items might have gone another 10k+. It was just the money was in the kitty, those jobs would have been needed at some time during our ownership so might as well have the benefit of knowing it was spot on.

Top Bottom