This car seems quite cheap

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
That one looks excellent for the money, looks like they are selling it for trade price.

Would be ideal if it were automatic. I'm not too good on hill starts, so really need an automatic :p

The guy who is supposedly buying our car was supposed to come and see it yesterday, then he couldn't make it. Then it was arranged for today and he can't make it again. Now it's arranged for tomorrow. I think if he lets us down once more we will give up with him :rolleyes:

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
The guy who is supposedly buying our car was supposed to come and see it yesterday, then he couldn't make it. Then it was arranged for today and he can't make it again. Now it's arranged for tomorrow. I think if he lets us down once more we will give up with him :rolleyes:

Meanwhile if anyone wants to see it......say yes it's still for sale

Oddly enough I haven't had an email back about the other car :shock:

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Meanwhile if anyone wants to see it......say yes it's still for sale

Oddly enough I haven't had an email back about the other car :shock:

We have had someone else say they want to come see it but we have put them off as we thought we should wait for the first person who called to come and view the car.

I haven't had an email back about the other car either :p

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
If I were you I wouldn't put any of them off, people often say they will turn up and don't bother, first to part with the money gets the car

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
If I were you I wouldn't put any of them off, people often say they will turn up and don't bother, first to part with the money gets the car

I'm sure you are right. I will have to talk to Keith about it as he is doing all the wheeling and dealing and doesn't like being told he is wrong about things. Like most men I guess :p:p:p

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Would be ideal if it were automatic. I'm not too good on hill starts, so really need an automatic :p:rolleyes:

Learning how do start off on a hill is not difficult Lyn. All you need is a manual car, a hill, an instructor, about 10 minutes and patience.

And don't worry about MB cars with the foot parking brake - much is said about these but they are just as easy. Once you have got the knack of holding the car on the clutch, you release the brake by the hand lever, so the "need for 3 feet" is just silly nonsense by those who can't.

And once you have got the hang of it, because you understand what you are doing, it never leaves you.

merc7

Reaction score
Good you are learning lynn ,never put your real addess on a search and share it :shock:, the car looks good try to offer him £7200 and see what happens?? ,good luck:D

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Learning how do start off on a hill is not difficult Lyn. All you need is a manual car, a hill, an instructor, about 10 minutes and patience.

And don't worry about MB cars with the foot parking brake - much is said about these but they are just as easy. Once you have got the knack of holding the car on the clutch, you release the brake by the hand lever, so the "need for 3 feet" is just silly nonsense by those who can't.

And once you have got the hang of it, because you understand what you are doing, it never leaves you.

I failed my first driving test at the age of 18 because I went backwards on a hill start and it's always stayed in my head :(

I seem to have a habit of letting the revs come down just as the clutch bites and no matter how hard I try to not do that I just keep on doing it. I'm just as bad when it comes to riding the clutch :shock:

Good you are learning lynn ,never put your real addess on a search and share it :shock:, the car looks good try to offer him £7200 and see what happens?? ,good luck:D

I put Keith's work post code :p

Yeah I think the car is nice, it's only a Classic but as it would just be a second run around I don't think it matters too much :D

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I failed my first driving test at the age of 18 because I went backwards on a hill start and it's always stayed in my head :(

I seem to have a habit of letting the revs come down just as the clutch bites and no matter how hard I try to not do that I just keep on doing it. I'm just as bad when it comes to riding the clutch :shock:

I am certain everyone who ever learned to drive has done that Lyn. I remember doing exactly that with the predictable roll backwards. But a patient man just sat there with me until I got it right. Took no time at all - though it felt as though I had been doing it all afternoon.

And if you are planning a trip to Cleethorpes ............... ;):rolleyes:

Telviking

Reaction score
'it's only a Classic but as it would just be a second run around I don't think it matters too much'

It's only a Classic? Classic's are Classic!

You Don't half sound a Snob :D

Tel...'Classic' driver

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Park Assist on the facelifted A class shot from inside: -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVGUa8di98I

Park Assist on the facelifted A class shot from outside: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zudSE9k2Qic

As you drive along the road there is a sign in the dashboard telling you which parking spaces are big enough. Pull up near one, press the button for Park Assist, put it in reverse and it will back in for you. It will ask for forward gear if it needs to pull forward after parking. My brother has it on his A160cdi and it works just as well as they say and comes with Partronic for only about £500.

See this for running costs on A160cdi: -
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=48220 gives costs of 4 years in an A class.

You can get a brand new A class at the moment with offers on MB website for about £2k deposit and £199 per month.

Much better if funds allow is the A180cdi diesel automatic, Avantgarde (nice spec) offer at £285 per month.

Plenty of secondhand ones with dealers –where the best ones tend to be IMO and fully warranted. Go for full MB service history (plenty about) and then all the updates will have been done and you get the free breakdown service etc.

Avoid all A class with sports suspension or big wheels whicch spoil the ride. The normal set-up is plenty firm enough and has adaptive damping to reduce roll in corners and it firms up the more briskly you drive.

The A class is the class leader on safety from NCAP.
It has as much legroom front and rear as an E class. Truly. No other small car can match it for safety or for space (except the B class)

The B offers S class legroom and bootspace, better ride from a longer wheelbase, and a lot more sound deadening. But it costs a lot more.

We owned an A class and liked it very much: -
Some Thoughts On The A Class
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=33319

Last edited:

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
The MB offers let you have a new car for three years with a guaranteed residual. You can then buy it at that guaranteed value or give it back with nothing owed and get something else -- or part ex it against the next new model A class, which will be out by then.

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
'it's only a Classic but as it would just be a second run around I don't think it matters too much'

It's only a Classic? Classic's are Classic!

You Don't half sound a Snob :D

Tel...'Classic' driver

Nothing wrong with being a snob ;):p

Looks OK, but it will be quite slow with the 80bhp diesel engine and auto gearbox, and Classic trim is quite basic. I suppose it would be cheap to buy and run though if you just want a run around car.

I think it could be slow yes, just thought it was a good price. We aren't in any hurry so maybe we'll wait till an Avantgarde comes up for sale that we like :)

As you drive along the road there is a sign in the dashboard telling you which parking spaces are big enough. Pull up near one, press the button for Park Assist, put it in reverse and it will back in for you. It will ask for forward gear if it needs to pull forward after parking. My brother has it on his A160cdi and it works just as well as they say and comes with Partronic for only about £500.

See this for running costs on A160cdi: -
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=48220 gives costs of 4 years in an A class.

You can get a brand new A class at the moment with offers on MB website for about £2k deposit and £199 per month.

Much better if funds allow is the A180cdi diesel automatic, Avantgarde (nice spec) offer at £285 per month.

Plenty of secondhand ones with dealers –where the best ones tend to be IMO and fully warranted. Go for full MB service history (plenty about) and then all the updates will have been done and you get the free breakdown service etc.

Avoid all A class with sports suspension or big wheels whicch spoil the ride. The normal set-up is plenty firm enough and has adaptive damping to reduce roll in corners and it firms up the more briskly you drive.

The A class is the class leader on safety from NCAP.
It has as much legroom front and rear as an E class. Truly. No other small car can match it for safety or for space (except the B class)

The B offers S class legroom and bootspace, better ride from a longer wheelbase, and a lot more sound deadening. But it costs a lot more.

We owned an A class and liked it very much: -
Some Thoughts On The A Class
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=33319

Thanks very much for all that info Hawk, right now I can't seem to get YouTube to work, but I will check those links out later on :)

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d

Are those videos for real :confused::shock:

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Are those videos for real :confused::shock:

Yes I promise you. I have used it on my brother's new A class. Quite amazing. We drove alomg the local High Street and on the dash it tells you whether the spaces as you pass them are big enough or not. You park just in front of one and it will reverse perfectly into the space for you. Magic. Every woman's dream and most men's too if they were honest!

It will park in any space that is about four feet longer than the car (and the A class is short). That leaves two feet in front and behind the car after parking (600mm) -enough for pedestrians to walk through and enough to allow you to get out of the space easily.

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
The Porsche is just beautiful, such a fabulous car, however not ideally suited for a cautious driver like me who isn't very good at parking :p

I do like the Fiat 500, I was looking at them a few weeks ago. Back to Autotrader I guess ;);)

Well the B Class is much bigger, if I get a second car it has got to be something small and easy to drive.

try looking on gumtree website??

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom