This might be a dumb question!!!!

djb

Reaction score
Why did it become the norm to use water to cool the engine when oil could have been used instead?

Technically I assume the oil would need very thin but why not instead of water?

jib

Mid 70s citroen GS use to use its oil as coolant, along with air as well, but I seem to remember the cooling was mainly by two oil rads at the top of the engine.

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Mid 70s citroen GS use to use its oil as coolant, along with air as well, but I seem to remember the cooling was mainly by two oil rads at the top of the engine.

The Citroën GS and GSA were certainly air cooled, but it's not exactly correct to say that the cooling was primarily via the medium of the oil. Both the 1015cc and the later 1220cc engines were fitted with oil coolers, but these were heat exchangers to cool the lubricating oil, and this oil was not intended as a heat transfer medium to dissipate heat from engine components. The cars featured an exceptionally low drag coefficient for their day (Cd of 0.31) due partly to a very clean underside provided by a partial engine compartment undertray. This, combined with the flat four engine configuration made ducting adequate airflow to the sump impossible - hence the need for the oil cooler.

These were radical cars in many ways in their day and a fabulous drive in spite of the underpowered engines - I had two - and a rare later version was fitted with a bi-rotor W*nkel engine. Not sure if this was air cooled though?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The Citroën GS and GSA were certainly air cooled, but it's not exactly correct to say that the cooling was primarily via the medium of the oil. Both the 1015cc and the later 1220cc engines were fitted with oil coolers, but these were heat exchangers to cool the lubricating oil, and this oil was not intended as a heat transfer medium to dissipate heat from engine components. The cars featured an exceptionally low drag coefficient for their day (Cd of 0.31) due partly to a very clean underside provided by a partial engine compartment undertray. This, combined with the flat four engine configuration made ducting adequate airflow to the sump impossible - hence the need for the oil cooler.

These were radical cars in many ways in their day and a fabulous drive in spite of the underpowered engines - I had two - and a rare later version was fitted with a bi-rotor W*nkel engine. Not sure if this was air cooled though?

I used to love the CX and had 8 of them, and one GS,,that was nice to drive for its time

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
I used to love the CX and had 8 of them, and one GS,,that was nice to drive for its time

The CX was a wonderful car Malcolm - but getting through "8" doesn't indicate that they were exceptionally reliable...? :);)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The CX was a wonderful car Malcolm - but getting through "8" doesn't indicate that they were exceptionally reliable...? :);)

I purely updated Started with the c matic and ended up with EFI (think thats right) all great.

Only one ever gave a fault where a hydraulic pipe had rubbed and I lost all of the fluid. I drove it the 20 miles home through London with no suspension or brakes, and just the parking brake. I soldered a sleeve over the pipes, filled it and bled it and it was fine

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
On the downside, they collect lots of dwarf and other detritus

well Bugger my old boots Oil collects DWARFS does it!!!!!! I'm gonna have to warm "The Little people" at the bottom of me garden!!!!!!

SWARF Alex ................SWARF!!!!!! Ok your forgiven..the "D" & the"S" are next to each other.....

Funny though ...............Oil collects DWARFS!!!!!

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I'm gonna have to warm "The Little people" at the bottom of me garden!!!!!!

That's very neighbourly of you especially considering that it's getting colder out there now. Unless you intend using a blow torch? :shock: :lol:

Top Bottom