1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on changing to a E320Cdi

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by deejaybee, Dec 12, 2012.

1. deejaybee

deejaybee Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Now - W210 E320cdi
    I have been enjoying my old E430 estate for the last year, but I know need to decide if I am going to spend out a fair bit on it to make it worth keeping for the next few years, or if I just p/ex it for a bit newer model.

There are some nice late model W210s around at the moment at quite good prices, and suprisingly enough I have seen a few that have really good condition bodies with no identifiable rust on them.

I am quite tempted by a late 2001 E320Cdi I saw last weekend that is almost spotless even though it has done 140k miles. I have a fairly good knowledge of what to look for generally but I don't have any specific experience with the engine. I know the injectors are something to look out for - how easy is it to remove the plastic cover on top of the engine, does it just pull off or ere there bolts/screws to remove? Also, I have seen various info on here about the likely life expectancy of injectors, is there a rule of thumb or is it completely variable/ random?

If anyone has any more specifc advice on things to look out for as regards the mechanicals that would be appreciated.

thanks.

2. Matt_EClass

Matt_EClass Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211 2005 2.7cdi
    Hi Deejay, I think youve already hit the nail on the head when looking at a W210, its Rust, Rust Rust! Im on my second W210, first was a 2001 220 cdi, which got written off, and now my second which is a 2001 320 cdi. There are far more experienced people on here that have owned these cars and Im sure they will be along soon, but I will give you my 2 peneth worth....

My 2001 220 cdi I ran for about 120,000 miles and apart from service items and tyres the only things i ever replaced on that car was a thermostat and a battery in the whole 120k miles! best car Ive ever had, and cheaper to run than the Vauxhall Astra it replaced.

The 320 cdi, didnt have such an easy life as the 220 cdi, it had less miles but hadnt been lavished with affection, although the service history was all there! that too has needed a thermostat, and has just had a new injector, which the total bill from the indie was £300 to supply and fit.

Out of the two cars, I think the 320 cdi makes the W210 a better car, yeah the mpg aint as good as the 220cdi but its better in every other way, the IL6 diesel engine is a good engine, and apart from egr valve sillyness I dont think much goes wrong with them, if injectors are a problem ive never heard it, (I bet the other 5 go now Ive said that!)

As long as the car has good service history and has been looked after I dont think you could go far wrong with a 320 cdi! Oh, just watch out for the rust!!!

3. Spannaz

Spannaz Active Senior Members

Your Mercedes:
    Kia Sedona 08
    as already said....rust!

What may look like a stunning car today, can be riddled with rust in less than 12 months!!!! You would have to be seriously lucky, or have a bottomless pot of money to ensure that it stayed rust free. It is a REAL shame as they are fantastic cars, comfy and powerful, but i just lost interest due to rust!

4. Remenham

Remenham Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    a140
    I ran my S210 320cdi for 10 years and 151k miles and it was an excellent car.

It was comprehensively de-rusted by MB at their cost at 6-7 years and when I sold it little rust had re-appeared.

Injector seals (so called black death) failed circa 140k miles. Cost about £700 at an indie.

I agree that you see quite a few of these cars around with little or no visible rust although many are awful.

5. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

I'm also a fan of the 210, so much so that I've just spent £1500 sorting the rust out on mine, the results i am very pleased with and wish i had done it years ago.

My car mileage wise is young, 80K, so the decision to spend on the bodywork was easy as i feel that the car is good for at least another 5+ years.

Regarding your dilemma, I'd take time to find the right car, there are still some FSH lowish mileage 210s out there if you're prepared to wait. If you feel that it's better to spend the money on the car you already own, you didn't state a mileage, I'm sure you won't be disappointed as you know the car and are happy with it.

Regarding the 320CDi engine vs the 430 V8, depends on mileage really. If your mileage is <5K pa. it probably isn't worth moving to the diesel due to pump prices and the potential cost of injector and egr problems.

If you decide to buy the 320CDi you will not be disappointed with its performance which will be similar to the V8 but with 25/30% better economy, but as i said earlier any saving is relative to mileage covered v reliabilty.

I've attached a couple of pics of mine which is an X plate and looks like a new car now the paintwork has been done. One thing I would mention regarding the restoration, if you decide to go that way, is do all four corners and the doors so this eliminates any shade difference or paint blending problems. The chap that sprayed mine was prepared to do the four wings only and i said i wanted wings and doors done. after the job was done he agreed that that had been the right decision especially as the car was silver.

Lastly, the 320CDi engine covers are held on by about 8 torx screws and easy to remove.

Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  6. Frontstep

Frontstep Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    T210 320cdi
    The covers on the engine remove with Torq headed bolts.
    The cars eat suspension parts, the pumps leak diesel so do the pipes.
    In fact there prone to a lot just put 210 in a search.
    Oh and rust anywhere.