1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on these for a Winter set of Wheels

Discussion in 'Mercedes Goods on eBay' started by V6Matty, Oct 18, 2012.

1. V6Matty

V6Matty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212/10/E350(His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)
  2. d215yq

d215yq Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1987 W124 300D 280k miles
    Depends if you like the alloys or not...quite easy to get 4 second hand steel wheels delivered for £100...then buy new winter tyres for £60 each fitted so £340 and you get peace of mind of new tyres.

Or 4 second hand steels with second hand winter tyres could be had for £200...but the alloys look nicer and seem reasonable IF there is 6-7mm of tread....i'd want an exact mm reading on the tyres, they come with 9mm and are usually thrown away at 3mm so if 6 or under, they are over half used and are too expensive..."used for a few months" could mean anything.

Also if you are just buying winters in case of snow then just rears could suffice. When my front winter tyres were eaten up by february i drove with normal tyres on the front and winters on the rear in the ski resort.

Totally fine to keep you going if you drove according to conditions and used neutral for coming to a standstill, only ice would be a problem but then that was a problem with winter tyres too!

3. OP
    V6Matty

V6Matty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212/10/E350(His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)
    just looked a bit more at it and they only have 4mm of ware so they are just about done, like the rims but yeah deffo over priced, will keep looking

4. d215yq

d215yq Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1987 W124 300D 280k miles
    Oh yeah, missed that. It means that the few months bit is also complete rubbish! I bought 4mm tyres (because they were very cheap) and did 7k miles and the rears were sold still 2.5mm, only the fronts were illegal because the tracking was seriously out wrecking the edges. Winters do wear quicker than summers (particularly if used when warm), but the difference is widely exaggerated. Many cars in the alps keep the winters on all year round as it's not worth two sets for them to save such a small amount of wear.