Thoughts on upgrading from an E200 to an E250 AMG

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
That 220D power plant has a surprising 400nm of torque :)
My 220 Bluetec was 440Nm vs the 460 of my CL500. 0-60 time I think 7.7s vs 6.5s for the CL, but once the diesel gets to revs it’s surprisingly powerful.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
That shows how modern engineering can compete with the old beasts
I’m not even sure it’s that. There’s only 10- 12 years between design programs for the M113 & OM651 engines, the 651 isn’t radically different to other high output modern turbodiesels around. I think it’s more that the M113 NA engine is really, really lazy and designed for ultimate waft- power. After all, the same lump with forced induction will go to 500- 600bhp at the crank on a stage 2 map, AIUI.

Still, it demonstrated one thing to me, a 5 litre V8 coupe 5m long is the most practical car to tour the back streets of Florence in, on a hot summer’s day..!!!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
It’s interesting to compare my diesel OM642 350cdi and my Petrol BMW N55 435i engines the power comes in at totally different points in the rev curve as we all know the diesel delivers between 1800-3500 and the petrol 3000-5500 and it’s something I would really miss in a diesel in modern traffic

Last edited:
OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
There is presently 143'000 miles on the E 200. And what you are saying is very true, in that sense it's a bit of a leap into the unknown, but as things go, when you are buying a 2nd hand car ( or indeed anything else either 2nd hand ) its a risk you take, and it will be guaranteed ( have to discuss that with them on monday when I go to pick it up.) but i'm taking my trusty iCarsoft OBD scanner with me, and I'll run a scan on it before handing over the cheque. Visually and to drive it, its perfect. The full MB service history is big plus in its favour too. For my present one the E200, it had only a very limited service history, covering about 170'000 Klms ( but it did have the timing chain done ) when I bought it 2.5 years ago, and it has served me very well. Hopefully, the newer one will be the same. Here in Ireland, we tend to keep our cars longer before trading, hence the higher mileage compared to similar cars in the UK. I checked the UK auto trader for similar cars on it, and the low mileages that were on them, compared to here.....unbelievable !! Anyhow, wish me luck !!! :):):)

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
There is presently 143'000 miles on the E 200. And what you are saying is very true, in that sense it's a bit of a leap into the unknown, but as things go, when you are buying a 2nd hand car ( or indeed anything else either 2nd hand ) its a risk you take, and it will be guaranteed ( have to discuss that with them on monday when I go to pick it up.) but i'm taking my trusty iCarsoft OBD scanner with me, and I'll run a scan on it before handing over the cheque. Visually and to drive it, its perfect. The full MB service history is big plus in its favour too. For my present one the E200, it had only a very limited service history, covering about 170'000 Klms ( but it did have the timing chain done ) when I bought it 2.5 years ago, and it has served me very well. Hopefully, the newer one will be the same. Here in Ireland, we tend to keep our cars longer before trading, hence the higher mileage compared to similar cars in the UK. I checked the UK auto trader for similar cars on it, and the low mileages that were on them, compared to here.....unbelievable !! Anyhow, wish me luck !!! :):):)
GO for it and dont look back. What's the cost of the new beast?

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
€15'000.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .

Check the mileage since last eml was cleared, because the sneaky bar stewards clear them before you get there.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.

The proliferation of PCP's means that we are changing cars about as often as we get a new mobile phone , think it's around 2 years now, especially if your a millennial. It's good for the planet apparently :rolleyes:

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only fault that I could see, was the "Auxiliary Battery Malfunction" warning on the dash, and he has promised that it will be fixed 100%. Now short of a scan, I don't know exactly what "Auxiliary Battery Malfunction " means in this case, ( and probably it can mean and does many things, given the nature of electrical things.....:shock: ) But in general, worst case scenario what should I be expecting? I'm picking up the car on monday, and there and back it's close to 100 Mile's journey, so will be a good test.

spenttherent

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Eclass estate 2008
The only fault that I could see, was the "Auxiliary Battery Malfunction" warning on the dash, and he has promised that it will be fixed 100%. Now short of a scan, I don't know exactly what "Auxiliary Battery Malfunction " means in this case, ( and probably it can mean and does many things, given the nature of electrical things.....:shock: ) But in general, worst case scenario what should I be expecting? I'm picking up the car on monday, and there and back it's close to 100 Mile's journey, so will be a good test.

I had the same fault on mine Jim...….new auxiliary battery sorted it

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The proliferation of PCP's means that we are changing cars about as often as we get a new mobile phone , think it's around 2 years now, especially if your a millennial. It's good for the planet apparently :rolleyes:
Good for the banking "Industry"........ a 2 year turn around in cars will translate into a 2 year life cycle of cars......Greens will love this !!!

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .

check behind the small battery on the top for a 7.5 amp fuse . some pull it put to disable stop start, i got that message when i pulled it from my e350 so i put it back in .

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
AMG don’t make Diesel engines so there is only ever “AMG Line” in an E250, which is just trim and wheels.

2013 will be a E250 CDi Sport, "AMG Line" came in in 2016 IIRC

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had the same fault on mine Jim...….new auxiliary battery sorted it
I hope that is what it needs then, be good to start my ownership with a brand new auxiliary battery !!! :)

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
check behind the small battery on the top for a 7.5 amp fuse . some pull it put to disable stop start, i got that message when i pulled it from my e350 so i put it back in .

I'm not a fan of stop-start either TBH,,,,and I'll disable it if at all possible. But can it not be "switched" on / off manually? When I get into my kids cars, first thing I do is switch of the start/ stop, and when they complain, I tell them, fine, but when you start to get starter / flywheel / DPF / fuel in the sump problems ...Good Luck !!! :cool: I don't know how to switch it off either ( its not in the present-but-soon-to-be-changed E 200 , but it's in the incoming E220m AFAIK ) but I'm sure there are people on here who will know.:cool:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I'm not a fan of stop-start either TBH,,,,and I'll disable it if at all possible. But can it not be "switched" on / off manually? When I get into my kids cars, first thing I do is switch of the start/ stop, and when they complain, I tell them, fine, but when you start to get starter / flywheel / DPF / fuel in the sump problems ...Good Luck !!! :cool: I don't know how to switch it off either ( its not in the present-but-soon-to-be-changed E 200 , but it's in the incoming E220m AFAIK ) but I'm sure there are people on here who will know.:cool:
You better get your gearbox skills warmed up again buddy , I can feel a full flush coming on :D

Last edited:
OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You bet get your gearbox skills warmed up again buddy , I can feel a full flush coming on :D
Ha Ha Ha,,Wighty !!! :D:D:D. No, I don't think so, at least not for the moment, According to the service history, it's not due it's next change for quite some time, so I'll leave well enough alone. i briefly removed the plastic engine cover, as I wanted to check if the dipstick tube still had the original black tab,,,or it it had the red one... Its the GA - Automatic : 722908 07 747099 722.908 W 7 C 700, so I presume that its the 7 speed trans? Anyway, I was unable to find the trans dipstick tube. So completely new to me, for now at any rate,,, I drove the "old" one this morning for a few hours, and I'm still wondering if I'm doing the right thing....:confused: But I remember having the same thoughts when I bought my first MB, two and half year's ago..now I'm glad that I did, So here's hoping that time will prove that I have made the right move this time too..:cool:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom