Three Abreast

admiral

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320
We recently found out that we are expecting Twins in the New Year!

We have a toddler already so now I am coming to terms with practicalities of having three children under 3 years old.:eek:

Of course one of our considerations is transport and as the proud owner of a 2000 W210 E320 with 19,000 miles (yes 19!), I will be very sorry to see her go but dont believe that 3 baby seats will work.

I will therefore be looking to part with her and find something which can accomodate us and all of the gubbins that we need to carry with us.

Questions are a) what would be a realistic and practical replacement? I am sure that we will have to spend more money again but I really do not want to spend tens of thousands as we did on our CLK.

Will dealers / others be interested in the W210 as a part exchange or is it just too old despite its mileage and condition?

I would be grateful for your input!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
We recently found out that we are expecting Twins in the New Year!

We have a toddler already so now I am coming to terms with practicalities of having three children under 3 years old.:eek:

Of course one of our considerations is transport and as the proud owner of a 2000 W210 E320 with 19,000 miles (yes 19!), I will be very sorry to see her go but don't believe that 3 baby seats will work.

I will therefore be looking to part with her and find something which can accommodate us and all of the gubbins that we need to carry with us.

Congratulations, you lucky man you.

I think you should get your inch tape out and do some reconnaissance before deciding to sell your lovely car. I suspect that there will not be a long list of cars with more beam than the 210, when measured.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
A 210 estate would be the perfect replacement, especially a seven seater for when they get older.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Keeping them as far apart as possible is my advice, we had a baby seat and 2 boosters in the back of Claire's Skoda estate however the baby in the middle kept pulling the hair of the other 2, oh how they laughed....

The rear seats in a E class estate are good for children however you then have the issue of where to put the associated paraphernalia.

We went for a VW Caravelle as there is tons of passenger space and loads of load space. We travel 7 up with luggage quite often (Disneyland Paris next week :)) and there are no issues from the troops. Ours has built in toddler and booster seats on the second pair of seats which are very very good.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
we can fit three across

our 210. The adult does have to breathe in a bit though.

You can put your eldest in the front seat, if they are old enough to be in a stage 2 or 3 seat. Just slide it back far enough to keep them way from the airbag. or get an airbag inhibiting seat. Then put the mem and the new pair in the back, or you in the back if you are a new man type like me. You need to be in the middle or behind the driver. It'll be snug, but easier than reaching around or asking jnr to assist.

As for three 7 year olds, no problem at all,we can just fit them in serially from one side to the other, left to right, doing the belts as we go, and out they come the same way.

If yours isn't a 7 seater, consider up-grading it by fitting the relvant bits. Much better use of your money, and that means you can get 6 of the little lovelies in eventually.

Happy landing btw.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
6?? Do you mean 1 in the front, then 3 then 2?

S

shaggy

iirc the middle of the 3 seats in the rear are not meant to be used for child seats
i may be wrong in yours but when i asked Nissan in my old x-trail they said no
also Range Rover said no as well when i asked them
you may just want to check before buying any new car that you can fit 3 child seats next to each other

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Viano?

My father had an old Mark 2 Granada Estate and that was plenty big enough for me and my 2 younger sisters, he upgraded from a Cortina!! The 210's are about the same size as the granny!

I remember many holidays to cornwall, 3 bikes on the roof rack, 2 in the boot along with luggage and food etc. Fully loaded you still got 20 mpg from a 2.8 V6 3 speed auto with the ac on!!

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
yep, 6

one in front with you, three in the middle row behind you, and two in the boot. You do need the seven-seater for this. and an ability to tune out all that kiddy banter.

As far as I know, if you have three 3-point belts, you can have three kids in the back in the appropriate seats. Or Isofix fittings, which are even better. I don't recall seeing anything in the manual or the car itself saying " Noooooo!"

It has to be safer than the carfuls of kids I see with not a seat or a strap amongst them.

By all means do ask MB though. Their word might be final on the matter.

OP
A

admiral

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320
Thank you all for your suggestions and words of encouragement!
Unfortunately, she is a saloon and doesn't have a three point belt in the middle, hence the need to change.
If she had a three point belt, then I agree, it would be hard to find something bigger or better. The car was a bit of a find so we would be reluctant to see it go. Garaged all its life and 11,000 miles when we bought her.

The option of our eldest who will be 2 years old when the twins arrive, sitting in the front is well worth considering in the short term and what we will probably do unless a decent low mileage 7 seater estate w210 / w211 comes along!;)

Thanks all!

sib

Reaction score
We have a Renault Grand Scenic for the wife and had 3 baby seats next to each other in the rear, but couldn't even get 2 and my big ass in the back of my SEAT Ibiza.

Anyway, how about this: http://www.multimac.co.uk/home - evo mag had 3 seats in the back of their BMW M3.

Expensive perhaps but a lot cheaper than a new car!

OP
A

admiral

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320
Thanks for the link Simon, I will have a look.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
When mine were young years ago a Transit mini bus solved it all, you will get a very good price for the 210 if you do choose to pass it on

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
What about an R class?

Room for the kids and all of the other gubbins that need to go with them.

sib

Reaction score
Is an R-class a good buy?

I saw one the other day myself on the road and thought it looked good and was one to consider.

Bet they lose a lot of money over the first few years - a good buy at a few yrs old surely?

OP
A

admiral

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320
MB of Bath picked me up in an R class once and it was indeed very nice. Probably quite pricey though as you dont see many of them. infact, why are there not more of them around?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom