throttle pedal is not operating smoothly

jbond1978

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi, classic, 2005 (W211.006)
Hi all,

Maybe I'm a bit pedantic, but the throttle pedal on my W202 (c250TD) is not as smooth as I would like it to feel... when slightly pressing it, it feels like it resist a tiny bit and then gives in - the same happens when releasing it slightly. I would very much like it to be smoother, and have a feeling that it just needs some lubricant somewhere, but as a newbie in the world of Mercedes, I have no clue as to where it would be a good idea to lubricate, and what lubricant I would need. Any ideas?

Best regards, Jens

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
you could try squirting some silicone spray down the throttle cable, as its only short and goes from the pedal to an electronic unit near where the battery would be on most other cars,on the left hand side of the car if i remember correctly. the one i had was the same. however the car hadnt been used much by the owner before me. i just used the car and tolerated it and it came good with use! either that or i just stopped noticing it!

OP
J

jbond1978

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi, classic, 2005 (W211.006)
Thanks! I'll give it a go, but isn't the problem more likely to be around a hinge/joint/rotating part somewhere?

I don't think it's down to the previous driver not driving it, as it has been a taxi and has been loved and taken care of for almost 400kmiles :) ...It still starts and drives as a dream though, and has no noticeable flaws - other than a bit of rust.

All the best, Jens

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Hi Ms Bond--Sounds like its catching on something or the cable is worn/frayed--if it goes worse its wise to get the cable checked in case it breaks altogether when your driving?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the only real pivot point to lubricate is at the bottom of the pedal. after the electrical box that the cable attaches to, its all 'fly by wire'. also at that mileage if the cable has been used a lot, (eg town traffic rather than motorway miles) that the plastic coating on the inner cable could be wearing out or worn through and that strands of wire from the inner cable are causing it to stick on the outer cable. could be worth replacing the cable.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Isnt silicon spray supposed to be a killer of certain components? safe alternatife is PTFE based lubricant spray

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
my mistake mark. youre right. however, given that they probably dont cost a fortune, i think id replace the cable and lubricate the pedal pivot. all should be fine then!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
its a nylon against nylon problem yes. the outer cable is nylon inside, and the inner cable is protected by a film of nylon. this prevents strands fraying over time and sticking anyhow! to fit a steel cable would mean possibly having to get it made up for you. given that the one here is probably original and 400k miles old, i cant see any big problem with an original spec replacement to be honest

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom