Thump in the back and Brown ATF

Reaction score
My current W124 seems to have a horrible Auto box; the changes are quite harsh and when it's cold the upchanges feel like I've been shunted by a lorry.

It never fails to change though, and there's no flaring or slipping.

137k miles on the clock, and I had a look at the transmission dipstick and the ATF can only be described as light brown in colour, similar to engine oil.

Would a fluid / filter change make any difference? The same 4-speed Auto box on my much higher mileage (210k) 300TE was a joy, and the ATF on that was much more red in colour.

meanie

Reaction score
What model 124?
A g/box service may help,or there could be a fault with the modulator valve or vacuum piping to it.

OP

Reaction score
What model 124?
A g/box service may help,or there could be a fault with the modulator valve or vacuum piping to it.

'95 E280 estate, 4-speed Auto

Sometimes it's fairly smooth, but it seems to lack the overall refinement of my last one, despite being younger and having done a lot less miles.

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
Brown ATF can indicate that the fluid has burnt. Change the oil and filter first before laying out on expensive repairs. Fluid can burn when the brake bands slip.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
That's correct - fluid should present two qualities:

1. bright red

2 not smell burnt

As meanie stated, good vacuum is essential for those smooth imperceptible changes

Last edited:
OP

Reaction score
There is no burnt smell; I guess it has just never been changed.

Top Bottom