Time to say good-bye to my C350 CDI :(

Mike2018

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350
Having said which I'm not sure EVs are exactly planet friendly, the lithium mining is not good.
And generating the electricity just moves the pollution somewhere else, and think how much more we would need to generate if everybody had an EV.

We currently burn 45M l of petrol and 77M l of diesel a day. Clearly that's not just cars, and EVs are more efficient, but that's 1.2TWh of power, about 40% more than the amount of electricity we already use.

Mike2018

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350
I can't help thinking that if we told manufacturers that the only things allowed out of exhausts are air, water and CO2 they'd (have to) rise to the challenge.
An easy challenge to meet, provided all you put in to burn are pure hydrocarbons and pure oxygen.

The problems come when the fuel contains other than just hydrogen and carbon, and the atmosphere other gases than just oxygen....

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
An easy challenge to meet, provided all you put in to burn are pure hydrocarbons and pure oxygen.

The problems come when the fuel contains other than just hydrogen and carbon, and the atmosphere other gases than just oxygen....
Someone will need to do the study on what massively increased levels of water vapour would do to the atmosphere. Next thing we know we could end up looking like Venus.

Coming soon: WATER VAPOUR TAX. We’ll have to revert to low- hydro economies!!!

Mike2018

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350
Also let's remember that catalytic converters were introduced to turn the carbon monoxide in exhausts into carbon dioxide.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I guess it's time to say good-bye to my 2012 C350 CDI, I'm still not convinced I'm doing the right thing, it's a stonking car, but I've put down a deposit on a used C350e now.
I'm p/xing it but in case anyone here wants a bargain I've also put it on the Classifieds forum, I'm not advertising it anywhere else, but it needs to go by Weds (or at least I need a deposit by then).

I guess only time will tell if I've done the right thing...
Jeddy
What was your final decision buddy ?

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
What about helium-3 fusion? Wonder fusion, with low radioactivity

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
What about helium-3 fusion? Wonder fusion, with low radioactivity
Please to invent reliable toroidal magnetic confinement system :D

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
If I wanted to pootle about on battery power I'd look for a used Tesla.

Given the relative rarity of MB hybrids and the horror stories we hear of them I'd personally steer well clear warranty or not.

Unless it was a W09 hybrid... :D

To the OP - The S204 C350 CDI I had is the one car I regret selling, I only did because we needed a bigger car when our second child was born (2 dogs and 2 kids at the time). I wanted to change to an E350 but had to settle for the E250 as there were none around to the spec I wanted, well not within my budget at the time anyway.

Hope you have a trouble free journey with the C350e.

OP
Jeddy

Jeddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 C350e - 2017
Well I've done it. Driving a 1yo 350e. It's going to take a little getting used to one or two things (how to get the best out of the power delivery, the various drive / ride modes). The ride is something else with air suspension. The driving around on batteries is so quiet, even when the engine cuts in, if you're foot isn't down a way you don't always notice it.
I'm not going to suggest it's for everyone, but if nothing else, I'd recommend a test drive just to see it for yourself - but do yourself a favour, make sure the car has 100% charge before taking the test drive so you can experience the almost silent ride.
I had to go to a meeting this a.m. 19 miles each way with a full charge at this end and nothing the other. 48.7mpg - a journey I've done often before and with similar driving (a bit of overtaking when needed), but otherwise within 10% of the speed limit (decline to comment which side), some 30, 40, 60mph limits (ave. 34mph, but there was a bit of a queue near home). I think that equates to around 44mpg equivalent. The 350CDI would have been maybe 35 - 36mpg from recent experience of that route. Not exactly bought for the economy, but nice to know I'll hopefully get a bit better. Oh, and there is the £0 VED. ;)
I did suggest SWMBO may want the 350CDI, but it was too big for her and it's not exactly friendly for e.g. taking stuff to the tip - her i30 is useful for that.

I may regret selling the C350 CDI but at least I feel free to use this car even for short journeys without worrying about the DPF - also I've no concern taking it out to get the mower to the front garden etc.. Maybe I was just DPF paranoid? But as they say, just because you're paranoid... I can also get my 'long items' in the car without increasingly damaging the unholstery and paintwork. It's also great that I can now pre-heat the car from my armchair! Really used to wind me up that in winter the first 5mins I was sitting in a freezing leather seat while it heated up. (I know, first world problem). No longer a problem.

While talking to the dealer he mentioned something which subsequently confused me. He said that the new C class coming out shortly would only have diesel hybrid motors. Seems to be trying to get the best of both worlds, but my real world experience of the C350 CDI makes me wonder. It seemed the first 15miles or so a day (commute to work as was) I got poor fuel economy, which I put down to a cold engine. After that things improved for the commute home - average maybe high 30s. Great for a high mileage driver, not so good for a low mileage. Also the damned DPF thing, it seems to require 10+mins of power to regen when the engine had got to heat. So you now stick a diesel in a hybrid, the engine will take forever to heat up to get reasonable economy and will be chucking loads of soot into the DPF and then eventually the engine will have to stay on to regen when you could be sailing. The only bit of that which makes sense is that the extra regen revs can be used to charge the battery if not already done so. Since the C300h is already diesel I'm sure they must have thought it through, but not explained it to me!

Now, where shall I go next, silently! Take-away tonight. :D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Well I've done it. Driving a 1yo 350e. It's going to take a little getting used to one or two things (how to get the best out of the power delivery, the various drive / ride modes). The ride is something else with air suspension. The driving around on batteries is so quiet, even when the engine cuts in, if you're foot isn't down a way you don't always notice it.
I'm not going to suggest it's for everyone, but if nothing else, I'd recommend a test drive just to see it for yourself - but do yourself a favour, make sure the car has 100% charge before taking the test drive so you can experience the almost silent ride.
I had to go to a meeting this a.m. 19 miles each way with a full charge at this end and nothing the other. 48.7mpg - a journey I've done often before and with similar driving (a bit of overtaking when needed), but otherwise within 10% of the speed limit (decline to comment which side), some 30, 40, 60mph limits (ave. 34mph, but there was a bit of a queue near home). I think that equates to around 44mpg equivalent. The 350CDI would have been maybe 35 - 36mpg from recent experience of that route. Not exactly bought for the economy, but nice to know I'll hopefully get a bit better. Oh, and there is the £0 VED. ;)
I did suggest SWMBO may want the 350CDI, but it was too big for her and it's not exactly friendly for e.g. taking stuff to the tip - her i30 is useful for that.

I may regret selling the C350 CDI but at least I feel free to use this car even for short journeys without worrying about the DPF - also I've no concern taking it out to get the mower to the front garden etc.. Maybe I was just DPF paranoid? But as they say, just because you're paranoid... I can also get my 'long items' in the car without increasingly damaging the unholstery and paintwork. It's also great that I can now pre-heat the car from my armchair! Really used to wind me up that in winter the first 5mins I was sitting in a freezing leather seat while it heated up. (I know, first world problem). No longer a problem.

While talking to the dealer he mentioned something which subsequently confused me. He said that the new C class coming out shortly would only have diesel hybrid motors. Seems to be trying to get the best of both worlds, but my real world experience of the C350 CDI makes me wonder. It seemed the first 15miles or so a day (commute to work as was) I got poor fuel economy, which I put down to a cold engine. After that things improved for the commute home - average maybe high 30s. Great for a high mileage driver, not so good for a low mileage. Also the damned DPF thing, it seems to require 10+mins of power to regen when the engine had got to heat. So you now stick a diesel in a hybrid, the engine will take forever to heat up to get reasonable economy and will be chucking loads of soot into the DPF and then eventually the engine will have to stay on to regen when you could be sailing. The only bit of that which makes sense is that the extra regen revs can be used to charge the battery if not already done so. Since the C300h is already diesel I'm sure they must have thought it through, but not explained it to me!

Now, where shall I go next, silently! Take-away tonight. :D
Send us some pics buddy . Glad you are happy .

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C350 CDI Sport Estate
I know this isn't my thread, but as the topic's been raised I hope people won't mind me asking...

At what point should one expect to get "problems" from doing short distances? The past three months or so I've mainly been doing just 5 miles per trip with the odd (rare) 20 mile trip. I don't do many miles a year at all, but the miles I do were, up until recently, either 12 or 20 mile trips. Since regularly doing the shorter trips, the only difference I've noticed is poorer MPG. At just 5 miles, my care has literally just warmed up by the time I turn off the engine.

@OP - Enjoy your new purchase. Personally, I plan to stick with my C350 for likely another five years, assuming no maor issues :)

Note: when I bought the car it was for a ~60 mile daily commute - a commute I never ended up doing for numerous reasons.

Final thought: I tend to potter a lot, just pootling along and not putting my foot down. Is giving it some beans from time to time - which I do - considered good for a DPF? I recall the classic "Italian Tune Up" technique used to give regular short trip petrol cars a blow out was a thing once...apparently lol.

Scoob.

OP
Jeddy

Jeddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 C350e - 2017
I know this isn't my thread, but as the topic's been raised I hope people won't mind me asking...

At what point should one expect to get "problems" from doing short distances? The past three months or so I've mainly been doing just 5 miles per trip with the odd (rare) 20 mile trip. I don't do many miles a year at all, but the miles I do were, up until recently, either 12 or 20 mile trips. Since regularly doing the shorter trips, the only difference I've noticed is poorer MPG. At just 5 miles, my care has literally just warmed up by the time I turn off the engine.

@OP - Enjoy your new purchase. Personally, I plan to stick with my C350 for likely another five years, assuming no maor issues :)

Note: when I bought the car it was for a ~60 mile daily commute - a commute I never ended up doing for numerous reasons.

Final thought: I tend to potter a lot, just pootling along and not putting my foot down. Is giving it some beans from time to time - which I do - considered good for a DPF? I recall the classic "Italian Tune Up" technique used to give regular short trip petrol cars a blow out was a thing once...apparently lol.

Scoob.
You are in a very similar position to me, the catalyst for me in the end was the need for the through load facility (having chipped the paint by not having one and getting a muddy interior). I obviously hope you don't have any problems although would you forgive me for hoping you do - just so that it justifies my decision you understand.

Seriously though I hope you don't, as I say, I needed to change anyway. My understanding is the first warning you'll get is a 'DPF light', at that point take it straight to a motorway and do a long run to clean out the DPF (apparently that's all the dealers do anyway) - I'm guessing the light goes out when done. Failing that I believe there are DPF cleaning services e.g. ceramex but that's just something I've heard of and have no experience of so can't recommend it or otherwise. Keep us posted on how you get on.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score

Scoob.

My E350cdi does a fair proportion of short runs especially during the winter months and it seems to me that the DPF system on Mercedes is much better than VAG in dealing with this type of situation and to back this up we see very few problems associated with DPF blockages on the forum so I wouldn’t be overly concerned, I don’t know about the 220d engine but my 350 OM642 warms up very quickly which no doubt helps.

If you don’t do a 20 mile run once a month and you notice a DPF regeneration starting my advice would be to let the keep engine running until it completes it’s cycle, generally around 10 minutes. My thermostat failed open causing the engine not to get up to full running temperature lately so it was replaced ASAP and I would advise anyone else with a sticking thermostat to do the same, the engine was running on choke most of the time and that combined with poor mpg will affect the DPF

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C350 CDI Sport Estate
You are in a very similar position to me, the catalyst for me in the end was the need for the through load facility (having chipped the paint by not having one and getting a muddy interior). I obviously hope you don't have any problems although would you forgive me for hoping you do - just so that it justifies my decision you understand.

Seriously though I hope you don't, as I say, I needed to change anyway. My understanding is the first warning you'll get is a 'DPF light', at that point take it straight to a motorway and do a long run to clean out the DPF (apparently that's all the dealers do anyway) - I'm guessing the light goes out when done. Failing that I believe there are DPF cleaning services e.g. ceramex but that's just something I've heard of and have no experience of so can't recommend it or otherwise. Keep us posted on how you get on.

I have the estate version, so lots of load space for me :)

I did do a lot of homework on DPF's prior to my purchase a my current car at the time didn't have one. All my reading lead to the conclusion that Mercs didn't appear to have the same problems as many other brands re: short trips and DPF problems. The 3 Litre diesel seemed to be the best engine of the bunch too.

I've never seen the DPF warning light appear - so far - though I can sometimes notice when it's doing a regen. Tick-over is slightly higher and the car holds onto each gear a little longer, usually changing up at just over 2k rpm. Also, while I can override the auto box and manually down-shift for engine braking, I loose the ability to shift up early until the regen is complete.

If needed in the future I'll get my DPF cleaned of course, though there are fuel additive aids to assist in DPF cleaning. The theory being that you run a tank of fuel with this additive in and it'll help clean the DPF - given a few decent runs I'd imagine.

It would be nice if we could get a DPF status indicator - perhaps a simple % full value - but that's not part of the standard information given to the driver. Does anyone know if a code reader can access this data from the ECU? I have the tools so would be interested to check.

Scoob.

Marshall13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350e
I hate my c350e. I feel ****ed off every day that I get 8 miles on a charge.
All the BIK benefit has gone on extra fuel costs.
The sat nav is crap

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I hate my c350e. I feel ****ed off every day that I get 8 miles on a charge.
All the BIK benefit has gone on extra fuel costs.
The sat nav is crap
Apart from that though, do you like it?:p

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom