Timing Chain broken on my M119 V8 Engine

mr_w140

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

A terrible thing happened on my Mercedes W140 S500 Saloon. I tried to start the engine and it suddenly cut out. Non Starter, taken to the garage and it transpires that the guard rail snapped and it must have hit the timing chain which is also broken. The timing chain is now stuck and the engine does not turn at all. We do not as yet know the full extent of the damage internally.

The garage has quoted me anything from £ 1500 to £ 3000 to repair the engine depending on the extent of the damage. They have even suggested it it may be more cost effective to put in a new reconditioned/ used engine.

I wanted some good advice on how I should go about dealing with this, has anyone on this forum encountered a similar situation?

Also, where can I find a used M119-980 v8 engine?

Also, even I was to find a another engine, how many hours work is it to put it in the car?

Thank you in advance...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
That's bad luck :(

Your best bet is probably eBay for a replacement. You may be able to get away with an M119 out of an SL by swaping sump etc but you'd need to check carefully.

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
Sorry to hear this, sad news. I think the condition of the cam lobes can be a good indication as to the health of an engine. If it's been mistreated or poorly maintained this often shows as scoring or excessive wear on the cams. I don't know how easy they are to inspect on that engine, maybe through the oil fill port but could help secure a decent used replacement.

Take any claims of mileage or usage with a big pinch of salt unless backed up with concrete evidence of the vehicle it's been sourced from. And of course the state of the exterior gives no indication of the engines condition and sometimes good used parts can turn up in the unlikeliest of places too! Probably best off going with a warranted one though.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
If the cars a keeper, running s/hand would be the better option but do the chain and rails whilst it’s out.

OP
M

mr_w140

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, sad news. I think the condition of the cam lobes can be a good indication as to the health of an engine. If it's been mistreated or poorly maintained this often shows as scoring or excessive wear on the cams. I don't know how easy they are to inspect on that engine, maybe through the oil fill port but could help secure a decent used replacement.

Take any claims of mileage or usage with a big pinch of salt unless backed up with concrete evidence of the vehicle it's been sourced from. And of course the state of the exterior gives no indication of the engines condition and sometimes good used parts can turn up in the unlikeliest of places too! Probably best off going with a warranted one though.

thanks for the advice, appreciate it...

OP
M

mr_w140

Reaction score
If the cars a keeper, running s/hand would be the better option but do the chain and rails whilst it’s out.

Yes, that is a good suggestion, the last thing I need is the timing chain braking on any new engine installed! Can I ask, you have a garage in Reading, how many hours work is an M119 engine replacement?...Thanks...

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I’ve left for today, I’ll look it up tomorrow but it does depend on what state the new engine comes in.

robparker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Plus I know Mercman in Cornwall has a few 500 engines

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I can't add anything to this but, just wanted to say that's very unfortunate and I hope you are able to get it fixed with lesser grief than expected.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Very unusual for this kind of thing to happen. The 119 is usually a bullet proof lump too.
Plastic cam oilers are the usual issue with these from what I recall?
Perhaps also top chain guides. Neither difficult or expensive to do.

OP
M

mr_w140

Reaction score
I can't add anything to this but, just wanted to say that's very unfortunate and I hope you are able to get it fixed with lesser grief than expected.

Thank you for your sympathy, appreciate it!

Top Bottom