Timing chain query M271 cgi /evo engine

Robuk22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c-class coupe 2012 1800 t
Hi Guys,

I am trying to find the cause of early timing chain failures on the M271 cgi engine also known I believe as the M271 evo. This engine is said to have a redesigned chain tensioner but problems with the timing chain/tensioners are now occurring earlier (45,000 miles) than with the Kompressor engines, I am trying to ascertain whether the stop/start function is responsible for this earlier failure. My chain on startup is normal with no rattle at 41,000 miles, I disconnected stop on the first week of ownership.

Has anyone had a timing chain/timing gear failure on this later engine, post Sept 2011 blueefficiency with stop/start, if so.

1, Did you predominantly have stop/start engaged and working, what was the year and mileage?.
2. Did you always turn the stop/start function to off, what was the year and mileage?.

OP
R

Robuk22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Guys,

I am trying to find the cause of early timing chain failures on the M271 cgi engine also known I believe as the M271 evo. This engine is said to have a redesigned chain tensioner but problems with the timing chain/tensioners are now occurring earlier (45,000 miles) than with the Kompressor engines, I am trying to ascertain whether the stop/start function is responsible for this earlier failure. My chain on startup is normal with no rattle at 41,000 miles, I disconnected stop on the first week of ownership.

Has anyone had a timing chain/timing gear failure on this later engine, post Sept 2011 blueefficiency with stop/start, if so.

1, Did you predominantly have stop/start engaged and working, what was the year and mileage?.
2. Did you always turn the stop/start function to off, what was the year and mileage?.

OP
R

Robuk22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It appears not many are interested in this subject, they should be as a worn chain can destroy the engine, these single row chains are causing severe engine damage far earlier in vehicles fitted with stop/start technology be aware.

Quote Plus, many engines are now using stop-start technology, which multiplies the stress/loads on the engine, whereas a non-stop-start engine used for commuting will only go through the average five second period of low oil pressure on start up when wear can occur.A stop-start engine may have to suffer this reduced oil pressure scenario 10 to 20 times during the same commute. Quote

https://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/timing-chain-tips/

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You'll probably find not that many on here drive CGIs (most seem to drive diesels).

I drive petrols but mine are all 6 or more cylinders.

OP
R

Robuk22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have only had one diesel car in over 60 years of driving, a Merc 2004 C-Class sports coupe, bought it new kept it less than a year. Really inspiring when you hit around 5,000 rev`s and the limiter kicks in, bought it for the economy, nothing to do with emissions. From that point on no more diesels for me.

I believe Diesels also have single row timing chains and auto stop-start.

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/timing-chain-on-diesels.2518729/

Last edited:

Snt

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250
Hi Guys,

I have a 2013 c250 with out the start stop... now at 161k and chain just started to rattle at star up. Always maintained myself with oil change 8 to 10k. 0/40w till this day. Looking into buying replacement phasers and chain change soon. Anyone have any suggestions? Aftermarket or buy from benz? (Benz 500 each phaser alone) aftermarket full kit 400....

Thanks

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom