timing chain replacement

klenzza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
im off to the garage tommorow to get a quote for a replacement timing chain on my 180k coupe .any ideas on a reasonable price for this // its not going to mercedes and the hourly rate the garage charges is 45 per hour ,thnx

OP
K

klenzza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ouch!!! thanks

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
It is not the time it would necessarily take but is reasonable for the garage to charge this.

OP
K

klenzza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ive just had a look on ebay and it says 295 quid for the chain kit then typed timing chain on a merc parts site and it said 54 quid im a bit confused any one know what the parts are expected to cost ??

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
I don't know the engine, but I'd have been surprised if you'd said more

I would have if it was an M119. You have to take in to consideration the garage will not necessarily have the correct tools. This will mean the cams will have to be removed. They can be wound on without the clamping tool but it's extremely fiddly!
I found it a pita the first time. I would not charge 4/5 hours but it's reasonable if the garage doesn't have the dealer tools
What is important is that it's done correctly and everyone is happy at the end of the day.

Ps. Ask them to check the rear oil feed pipe is nice and clear when the rocker cover is off! They always block up and cause ticking

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I would have if it was an M119. You have to take in to consideration the garage will not necessarily have the correct tools. This will mean the cams will have to be removed. They can be wound on without the clamping tool but it's extremely fiddly!
I found it a pita the first time. I would not charge 4/5 hours but it's reasonable if the garage doesn't have the dealer tools
What is important is that it's done correctly and everyone is happy at the end of the day.

Ps. Ask them to check the rear oil feed pipe is nice and clear when the rocker cover is off! They always block up and cause ticking

:Oops: Note to self ..... read what you type!
I'd meant to put I wouldn't have been surprised if you'd said more :Oops:

OP
K

klenzza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

will do thanx m8

DIYMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270cdi/53 plate/2.7l 5cyl.
im off to the garage tommorow to get a quote for a replacement timing chain on my 180k coupe .any ideas on a reasonable price for this // its not going to mercedes and the hourly rate the garage charges is 45 per hour ,thnx

I think the price for the kit includes more than just the chain, maybe guides and tensioner etc. Not sure about your engine but the work involved to change the 'kit' would be a lot more than just changing the chain.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95

What engine is it, and why do you want a new timing chain fitted ?

OP
K

klenzza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What engine is it, and why do you want a new timing chain fitted ?

ita a 180k 02 plate its rattling on first start up for a few seconds ive got a quote of 540 quid thats the ful kit .ive looked at the previous service history and it had a full kit done 30.000 miles ago its got 67.000 on the clock now .what is the recomended milage for a replacment chain??? thnx

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
60-80k they usually need doing. You may have worn variator teeth. In which case its probably damaged the chain that was fitted 30k ago

OP
K

klenzza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
so im looking a the teeth sorted as well as the chain right??

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
It needs stripping. Then the variator gears checking for wear. No other way forward

Benz17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350d Amg Premium Saloon, Cavansite Blue, 2017
60-80k they usually need doing. You may have worn variator teeth. In which case its probably damaged the chain that was fitted 30k ago

When would the chain need changing on my w211

R

Ringway

When would the chain need changing on my w211

I asked that question when I bought my S210 320CDI I6 (OM613). The dealer said never, but if I really wanted to have a chain change to come back at 400,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom