Timing Chain??

Vonnie3791

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 C Class Kompressor
Hi I just joined :) I bought a 2006 C Class Kompressor and the yellow engine light started to show. I took it back to the dealer who had it on the diagnostics, and was told it needed two sensors (air & exhaust) replaced. It has a useless warranty so was told I had to pay £100 excess as job came to over £400.00 When I got the car back, it was "chugging" and cutting out on start up and reverse. This went on over the two days. I phoned the dealer telling him the orange engine light was still on, and now it was chugging and cutting out. A day or so later he phoned me telling me he investigated the problem and that it meant I needed the timing chain replaced?? This was a further £500.00 job and I need to therefore pay £200.00 towards the warranty to get this fixed.

Has anyone heard of this? People are telling me that the chains never need replacing and I am being ripped off. My husband works away and I feel like they are taking me for a fool.

I have left the car with them and have asked for full set of paperwork showing me exactly what new parts have been put on the car, to see what I have paid for.

The warranty is useless... only covers jobs up to 300.00 and I have to pay the rest.

Many thanks Yvonne :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
On the 271 engine, the single timing chain can and does jump, this is well known, I just do not know why they replaced the sensors with this fault

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... I just do not know why they replaced the sensors with this fault

Because, as said before, code readers should only be used if you can interpret the results, rather than blindly replacing parts that the 'mechanic' thinks should be replaced because that's what the code reader said.

OP
V

Vonnie3791

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 C Class Kompressor
Think its strange how they can say the chain needs replacing when they have not looked at it... He showed me a part and mentioned a different garage was doing the job and talked about the new "pins" on the chain need to be carefully put back on or more damage will occur.

Will hopefully get car back Thursday, along with relevant paperwork. They didn't give me any paperwork when they "replaced" the two sensors last week... I've asked for paperwork, so I hope I don't get mucked about.

Things like this make me feel like a useless woman driver lol x

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
I'd make sure that you test drive the car for continuing faults before paying for more repairs. Sounds to me like the car should be checked and fixed by someone who knows Benzes. If the faults still exist, the work done may have been unnecessary and you should not be responsible for paying for incorrect diagnosis.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Or could it be the breather pipe under the air box? Or oil in the loom?

jib

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
I'd make sure that you test drive the car for continuing faults before paying for more repairs. Sounds to me like the car should be checked and fixed by someone who knows Benzes. If the faults still exist, the work done may have been unnecessary and you should not be responsible for paying for incorrect diagnosis.

If the car has just been purchased from the dealer, why should she pay anything and have any regard for any warranty ?
Surely the Sale of Goods Act means that the dealer is responsible for defects that are assumed to have been present when she bought the car ?
She should simply contact Citizens Advice or a Solicitor.
Regards
John

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I'd agree with John here.
How long ago did you buy the car?
If it was within the last few months and you haven't done mega mileage then I think that there's a reasonable case of the dealer being liable for the costs involved.
As stated the goods sold by a dealer must be in a condition reasonably free of defects and in this case I'm pretty certain that this would include a timing chain.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom