Tips To Get Lower Insurance

chris1200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204
Folks
I'm sure there are many tips and tricks we can use to get lower insurance. Why don't we share them? Obviously every person will get different quotes but there must be some standard tips that others can benefit from?

And before anyone replies with questions or queries about morals and the law......I'm ONLY talking about legal tips and telling the truth. :cool:

The one that springs to mind is to add a female driver onto your policy even if she will never drive car. I did this last year and saved £120. I don't know why this should be and I don't really care either but I benefitted from it.

Any other tips ???

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Interesting...any female in particular?;)

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Folks
I'm sure there are many tips and tricks we can use to get lower insurance. Why don't we share them? Obviously every person will get different quotes but there must be some standard tips that others can benefit from?

And before anyone replies with questions or queries about morals and the law......I'm ONLY talking about legal tips and telling the truth. :cool:

The one that springs to mind is to add a female driver onto your policy even if she will never drive car. I did this last year and saved £120. I don't know why this should be and I don't really care either but I benefitted from it.

Any other tips ???

Declaring a capped annual mileage (assuming it's less than the average) and increasing the voluntary excess will help.

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Folks

Any other tips ???
If you add a gay he could work it of. Hope this helps

@mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C/2012/350CDI
I have found it's important to look at what your occupation and what you call it.

I always said I worked in IT (which is true) and thought nothing more of it.

My employer however is classed as a telecommunications company and not an IT company and this alone knocked £25 off my premium.

So whilst you should always be honest about your occupation etc, and of course some occupations can have only one description, it's worth thinking about.

Cohiba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 SL320 1995 C180. Freelander2 2012
Having 51 years NCB helps :D . Although most Ins aren't bothered after 10 yrs :rolleyes:

Not so sure about including the girl friend, the wife might find out ;)

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
When we were getting insurance (in her name) for our 18 year old daughter, adding wife and I as named drivers brought the premium down quite considerably, but that was 8 years ago so don't know if it still works.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
When we were getting insurance (in her name) for our 18 year old daughter, adding wife and I as named drivers brought the premium down quite considerably, but that was 8 years ago so don't know if it still works.

may well still contribute, but the question has been added to their procedure "who will be the principal driver/user"?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05

may well still contribute, but the question has been added to their procedure "who will be the principal driver/user"?

Did just this with my youngest daughter. She arranged the cover and she is principal user, I am a named driver. Brought premium down from £1200 to £800, incredible reduction!

Apparently it will be useful for me to be on the policy for when I take the car for new tyres, service, etc... :roll: :(

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles

Works at a higher age as well. I'm 27, just got my own policy a year ago, both times i've bought insurance adding my parents has knocked 20% off.

If I add another 60 year old driver with no claims, etc the policy would drop a further 5%...don't know one so didn't add them, can you just add someone without them knowing?

12.5EVO3

Reaction score
Folks

Any other tips ???

Yes you could tweak your job title.

Being a home owner makes a difference.

Adding older/more experienced as named drivers helps. However if you're young and do it the other way around they automatically assume that you will be the main driver. Its all about risk, by adding another person the chances of you driving have now halved.

If you tell them that its parked on a drive then change it to the road.

Mileage cap will help.

Also, if are thinking about using a lock up type garage try and find one I little distance away from your home, I can't think of the exact figure but its around half a mile. This is that if you were to park outside your home regularly rather than the lock up you wouldn't have worry about the insurance company making any claims void.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Works at a higher age as well. I'm 27, just got my own policy a year ago, both times i've bought insurance adding my parents has knocked 20% off.

If I add another 60 year old driver with no claims, etc the policy would drop a further 5%...don't know one so didn't add them, can you just add someone without them knowing?

Yep, adding my old man to the car shaved me a packet. I've not got a great driving record (1x claim in which the insurance co has taken the 3p to court), live in a G post code, and got 3 points on my licence. I also declare its parked on a drive and does 25,000 miles a year. Its now £1300/yr for a diesel saloon, madness.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will try this and add Lilian :D:D

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Yep, adding my old man to the car shaved me a packet. I've not got a great driving record (1x claim in which the insurance co has taken the 3p to court), live in a G post code, and got 3 points on my licence. I also declare its parked on a drive and does 25,000 miles a year. Its now £1300/yr for a diesel saloon, madness.

But it's not just a diesel saloon, is it? It's a 0-60 in 7sec, 150mph, technology packed luxury shed! ;)

aquiss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220CDi AMG Sport
To be fair, all i did this year was play 2 brokers off against each other. I claimed to the other I had a lower quote and they kept dropping after a bit of haggling.

In the end I paid 20% less than i did last year and some 42% lower than the renewal quote that came through. I never caused this banking crisis, so i be dammed if i playing by their rules :D

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Agreed. I changed provider and paid 11% less than last year, and 33% less than the renewal quote.

I have heard all the arguments about quotes being bespoke as they are based on a risk assessment of your particular circumstances.

But the [STRIKE]victim[/STRIKE]/customer would be forgiven if he was to get the impression that someone, somewhere is just "thinking of a number".

Top Bottom