TMC Question - Update

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Well folks, just thought I'd post an update on the TMC question thread I posted a couple of weeks ago (http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=52800)

Thanks to the advice of the members here, I decided to try the latest disk for my car to see if it did activate the TMC function. I ordered a DVD from MB Stratford Upon Avon as they quoted a price of £189.60 inc VAT - cheaper that comandonline, and 20% off their RRP of £235!

The disk arrived the following day, but wouldn't initially install in my car. When I ejected the old DVD it turned out it was version 4.1 - newer that I thought, but still too old to upgrade directly. The MB garage then just got the upgrade disk and updated the COMAND for me then re-tried the disk and hey presto it all works!! All MB charged was the cost of the disk despite probably spending half an hour overall getting it working for me.

I now have TMC enabled, and it displays in the bottom corner of the screen, dynamic route mode is enabled, and I have all the latest roads, including the business park with our offices on, and my mates new build road in Ruislip which isn't on the disk in his CLS (ha, ha).

Tried it out on the way home today (yes I do know the way really) and the directions are much better too. No more of the (technically correct but misleading) "At the roundabout turn left at the third exit" when it really means turn right at the roundabout.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the new disk, and would recommend it if you are hesitating over updating.

Cheers,
Bill

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Pleased that you are happy,,I tried mine over the week end and it only worked when tuned to classic FM as miffy said.

When I get my new changer,,I can ignore the FM

OP
B

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Although I generally listen to MP3 CDs or the CD Stack in the boot, I have the wireless tuned to Radio 1 as I get better RDS messages that way, but it still picked up the TMC, so I'm guessing the second tuner must be doing that.

Cheers,
Bill

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Although I generally listen to MP3 CDs or the CD Stack in the boot, I have the wireless tuned to Radio 1 as I get better RDS messages that way, but it still picked up the TMC, so I'm guessing the second tuner must be doing that.

Cheers,
Bill

I must take my Comand handbook back to the little room where I can read it,,,it tells me that I do not have a station selected

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I don't have a disk at the moment :-( although I do have a Comand again :) I will see what version arrives later this week. I had TMC before and yes it is broadcast as a sub-carrier on Classic FM although you shouldn't need to listen to Classic FM for it to be received by the navigation unit (listening to Classic FM is a driving hazard IMHO)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't have a disk at the moment :-( although I do have a Comand again :) I will see what version arrives later this week. I had TMC before and yes it is broadcast as a sub-carrier on Classic FM although you shouldn't need to listen to Classic FM for it to be received by the navigation unit (listening to Classic FM is a driving hazard IMHO)

Your car is much newer, and a different system

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom