To keep or to sell

david451

Reaction score
I have an slk 200 2000 model on an x plate, had it for 9 years and looked after it and was thinking of holding onto it for the remainder of my years, "retired now".

Having issues with the electrics again "posted in the other bit" and looking at it tonight for the first time, thinking it's time to go.

What do you think guys keep of sell, kind off down in the dumps at the minute. Any positives you could fire at me before I burn the bastid, and buy an M3 or sumut.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Come on chin up, they are great cars, and we will solve your faults, we always do :D:D

Any special data the you may need I can provide

discoking

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
1985 500SEL
I once took an M3 in and since it was the 1st i'd had I thought I'd use it a while.It was fast,handled amazingly but every wannabe in the world wanted to race you at lights,would tailgate you infact do everything that annoys me as a driver.It was a toss pot aggro magnet.

It sold 3 days later.

OP
D

david451

Reaction score
Come on chin up, they are great cars, and we will solve your faults, we always do :D:D

Any special data the you may need I can provide

Cheers for that.

I once tried to refurbish a tr4, but as a boy had no money and it fell on its bum, when I saw the slk it reminded me in many ways of it and better I guess.

I have talked a few times about getting rid of it, but it's still here and even the wife now is attached to it.

Tomorrow is another day, might be sunny.

OP
D

david451

Reaction score
I once took an M3 in and since it was the 1st i'd had I thought I'd use it a while.It was fast,handled amazingly but every wannabe in the world wanted to race you at lights,would tailgate you infact do everything that annoys me as a driver.It was a toss pot aggro magnet.

It sold 3 days later.

A friend had the same problem with a suberu, my old landrover is the opposite, everybody tries to avoid me.

P

PanzerMcGrory

My girlfriend had the same slk on a Y plate.

Lovely car but with the usual terrible rust especially as ever around the boot release so i hope you plan to live a bit longer than the rust thats maybe eating away at your slk though you dont mention any so you may be in luck already.

I couldnt really say bin it or not as i dont know your finances but if you have a bit of money to play with i would bin anything from the mercedes dodgy era.

what about the newer slk? though one thing i will say is that i dont like the ariel on the new model, nice looking car but seems to be a step backwards or an afterthought putting a cheap and nasty black rubber arial on the side of an expensive sports car when the old model had it incorporated within the car.

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
I have an slk 200 2000 model on an x plate, had it for 9 years and looked after it and was thinking of holding onto it for the remainder of my years, "retired now".

Having issues with the electrics again "posted in the other bit" and looking at it tonight for the first time, thinking it's time to go.

What do you think guys keep of sell, kind off down in the dumps at the minute. Any positives you could fire at me before I burn the bastid, and buy an M3 or sumut.

I would buy it off you. I suspect that deep down you do not or will not sell. I bought one in Jan 09 and think ill have it for 20 years... Im having an issue with the coolant level light at the moment - which i hope to resolve (yes i've just changed the level sensor)

OP
D

david451

Reaction score
I would buy it off you. I suspect that deep down you do not or will not sell. I bought one in Jan 09 and think ill have it for 20 years... Im having an issue with the coolant level light at the moment - which i hope to resolve (yes i've just changed the level sensor)

sl5oo is nice, it's the comments I hear that it's a girlie car that kind of puts me off mine.

AC cobra??, shame on me!!

OP
D

david451

Reaction score
My girlfriend had the same slk on a Y plate.

Lovely car but with the usual terrible rust especially as ever around the boot release so i hope you plan to live a bit longer than the rust thats maybe eating away at your slk though you dont mention any so you may be in luck already.

I couldnt really say bin it or not as i dont know your finances but if you have a bit of money to play with i would bin anything from the mercedes dodgy era.

what about the newer slk? though one thing i will say is that i dont like the ariel on the new model, nice looking car but seems to be a step backwards or an afterthought putting a cheap and nasty black rubber arial on the side of an expensive sports car when the old model had it incorporated within the car.

Mine has the same, been doing it every year, took the bolts out the handle but cant figure whats holding it on.

Bit around the arches but kept it ok with a regular paint, kind of dissapointed with the rust aspect, all these things are what swings you towards a change.

P

PanzerMcGrory

Mine has the same, been doing it every year, took the bolts out the handle but cant figure whats holding it on.

Bit around the arches but kept it ok with a regular paint, kind of dissapointed with the rust aspect, all these things are what swings you towards a change.

Its a known fault with mercedes of that era as my 04 w163 had rust around the tailgate handle aswell, its due the the strain put on the paint around the handle everytime you use it eventually damaging the paint, letting water in and the resulting rust.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
sl5oo is nice, it's the comments I hear that it's a girlie car that kind of puts me off mine. AC cobra??, shame on me!!

I'm going to stick to my SL500 (and my feminine side). I doubt if I am that much slower than an AC Cobra in the real world - and a good deal quicker than the 3 that I have passed (all at different times) who were wheels up in the ditch! ;)

discoking

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
1985 500SEL
I'm going to stick to my SL500 (and my feminine side). I doubt if I am that much slower than an AC Cobra in the real world - and a good deal quicker than the 3 that I have passed (all at different times) who were wheels up in the ditch! ;)

A friend of mine had a Cobra(dunno if it was real or home made) but he told me that once it hits a certain speed,which I cant remember,it stops accelerating hard because of the aerodynamics or something.

Could be a wives tale but it stuck with me.

OP
D

david451

Reaction score
A friend of mine had a Cobra(dunno if it was real or home made) but he told me that once it hits a certain speed,which I cant remember,it stops accelerating hard because of the aerodynamics or something.

Could be a wives tale but it stuck with me.

I think it's fear!

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
sl5oo is nice, it's the comments I hear that it's a girlie car that kind of puts me off mine.

AC cobra??, shame on me!!

Girlie car?? no chance - i see more SL's about than SLK's. SL's are so nice. I see them when im drivin around Warwickshire for work(never a woman behind the wheel)(same can be said about SLk's -women drive 307CC's and other **** cos they know nothin about cars - only that they can afford the HP and its new when they buy one....rules out mercs...

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
Girlie car?? no chance - i see more SL's about than SLK's. SL's are so nice. I see them when im drivin around Warwickshire for work(never a woman behind the wheel)(same can be said about SLk's -women drive 307CC's and other **** cos they know nothin about cars - only that they can afford the HP and its new when they buy one....rules out mercs...

i think it would be fair to say cost is a big factor as most boys & girls would like a SL500 but settle for lesser cars & this is the point when the boys buy a audi A4 diesel & the girls buy a pug 307cc with shoes & a bag to match ;) PS THEY KNOW MORE THAN YOU THINK THEY JUST WON'T TELL YOU

Lisa Jayne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 SLK 230K & 2003 ML270 CDI Inspiration
never a woman behind the wheel, same can be said about SLk's -women drive 307CC's and other **** cos they know nothin about cars - only that they can afford the HP and its new when they buy one....rules out mercs...

Err excuse me? ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Lisa Jayne is very young, and just started out in life:cool:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom